• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

The big review site is Rotten Tomatoes.

It really doesn`t matter what any other site says.

Remember folks the ASM 2 Garfield got a 53 percent rating.

Right now Batman vs. Superman is rated lower.

I hope this just a blip, and when all the reviews start to add up we will see a high score!

You have to also realize a lot of critics are going to be resentful towards this big studio film that was made instead of some art house film about a little boy chasing a balloon all over Paris. :makepoint:

A big studio made Avengers : Age of Ultron. which Rotten Tomatoes gave a 75 percent.

Batman v Superman now at 39 percent at Rotten Tomatoes!

I loved Man of Steel. I hope Batman v Superman is in that style which is why the critics are giving it so so reviews.

I think we will see more "atypical" attendance at this one than any other comic movie yet..... people who never go to Superhero movies..... there's a lot of buzz amongst the common folk..... and let's face it, as much as we fans would like to think otherwise, 99% of the world was blissfully unaware of Dark Knight Returns back in '86...... so it won't be rehash to them. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

.... I usually avoid critics picks, finding them too thick and ponderous for my tastes.................

Adding advertising cost to the budget but discount the advertising-profit-sharing and other merchandise sales is not right. Bosco already spent like $50 on toys for this movie before seeing the movie!

For me, don't really care how much this movie makes, I think the measure stick is the Justice League against the Avengers.

Boscoe what are you predicting for final box?

$950 MM Worldwide ($389.5 MM Domestic, $560.5 MM International)

I am still going with 1.1 billion. It`s too big to fail no matter what the reviews are.

And you most probably are right. Someone has a lot riding on this beyond just the studio itself.

Stakes Are High This Week For WB CEO Kevin Tsujihara

It's an ambitious movie, to say the least, and WB has definitely paid a pretty penny to make it a reality. While the reported budget is around $250 million, we've heard numbers as high as $410 million for BATMAN v SUPERMAN alone, which is quite the investment on the studio's part. It's no secret that 2015 wasn't kind to WB. Between films like JUPITER ASCENDING and PAN, they were definitely hit pretty hard.

At a recent industry press conference (via LA Times), Time Warner's (WB's parent company) CEO Jeff Bewkes stated that he expects WB to make record profits this year. This undoubtedly puts a lot of pressure on BATMAN v SUPERMAN to not only meet, but exceed expectations.

"If you're Kevin Tsujihara, you need to have a good year," said Doug Creutz, a media analyst at Cowen & Co. "This is his time to shine, or not."

:wishluck:

I hope this just a blip, and when all the reviews start to add up we will see a high score!

You have to also realize a lot of critics are going to be resentful towards this big studio film that was made instead of some art house film about a little boy chasing a balloon all over Paris. :makepoint:

A big studio made Avengers : Age of Ultron. which Rotten Tomatoes gave a 75 percent.

I loved Man of Steel. I hope Batman v Superman is in that style which is why the critics are giving it so so reviews.

I did not know that.

I just assumed AoU would have gotten a so-so rating from RT, after all it was just more of the same (slo-mo Avenger freeze-frames, Loki's glo-stick of destiny brainwashing scientists, Hulk on a rampage, thousands of easily disposable henchmen, etc).

This isn't good.

I trust Scott Mendelson (of Forbes). He knows his movies and his comic books, and he's enough of a geek to be really excited about this film.

And he trashed it:

"The best moments of Dawn of Justice resemble nothing less than a feature length adaptation of a series of Alex Ross paintings in all their naturalistic glory."

"For all the talk about The Dark Knight Returns as a baseline, there is a lot here from Superman: Peace on Earth, but it remains just outside of our grasp."

"Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is not a good movie. It offers a truly unengaging Batman and then allows that character to dominate the proceedings while providing a painfully mopey and grim Superman-and-Friends narrative where the only ray of light comes from its homicidal arch-villain."

I did not know that.

I just assumed AoU would have gotten a so-so rating from RT, after all it was just more of the same (slo-mo Avenger freeze-frames, Loki's glo-stick of destiny brainwashing scientists, Hulk on a rampage, thousands of easily disposable henchmen, etc).

AoU scored that high on RT? That site is losing more credibility in my eyes as time goes on. AoU was a horrible movie - as I have posted before, AoU and Ant-Man are the only Marvel movies my kids have not asked to watch a second time.

AoU wasn't horrible. It's a rehash of Avengers #1. At the end of the day, AOU is a cohesive, entertaining film, but not original enough to feel excited about seeing again. And thus its 75% RT score.

What the majority of reviewers are saying about BvS, however, is that this film doesn't even entertain. It's a garbled mess. This is exactly what I was afraid of, and yet not surprised at all, considering who the director is. I will definitely see this movie and give it a chance, but none of us can say we're surprised to see approximately 40% on RT -- disappointed, absolutely, but surprised? No.

Most critics are old losers who think movies such as In the Bedroom was a good movie. Most critics are an embarrassment to themselves and their children.

Now this guy who I have been following for about a year IMO has skill at reviewing movies and can keep it real.

John Campea formally of Collider Movies youtube channel.

He calls a turd a turd, but praises movies that should be praised. He enjoyed BvS.

Buzz while I get and appreciate your point, you have to remember that WB is at least $400,000,000 into this film (250,000,000 budget plus advertising) that means to break even the worldwide cume has to be at least a 900,000,000. Transformers is no where near that for break even. To reach that there has to be strong wom to bring in the non comic book reader viewer. A meh word of mouth will not bring in extra viewers.

Don't sugar coat it.. lol

I had no idea that they have THAT much into it. $900million is a staggering number and after seeing that, I do not know if they will recoup it.

Most critics are old losers who think movies such as In the Bedroom was a good movie. Most critics are an embarrassment to themselves and their children.

Now this guy who I have been following for about a year IMO has skill at reviewing movies and can keep it real.

He calls a turd a turd, but praises movies that should be praised. He enjoyed BvS.

the same critics who generally loved/liked: Iron Man, GOTG, Avengers, Deadpool, Dark Knight, DKR, Batman Begins, Cap: WS, X-Men: DOFP, X-Men First Class, Ant-Man. Blind devotion is what is truly embarrassing. From the trailers, this movie looked problematic. apparently, the trailers didn't lie.

Edited by paperheart

AoU wasn't horrible. It's a rehash of Avengers #1. At the end of the day, AOU is a cohesive, entertaining film, but not original enough to feel excited about seeing again. And thus its 75% RT score.

What the majority of reviewers are saying about BvS, however, is that this film doesn't even entertain. It's a garbled mess. This is exactly what I was afraid of, and yet not surprised at all, considering who the director is. I will definitely see this movie and give it a chance, but none of us can say we're surprised to see approximately 40% on RT -- disappointed, absolutely, but surprised? No.

AoU was so bad that my 10 and 11 year olds asked me why they couldn't just do another movie like the first one after seeing it. lol

I will take my kids to this one and post their reaction. FWIW, they did not want to see the Force Awakens after most of their friends that saw it said it was weak as well. They are bugging me re: Deadpool, though, since a few of their classmates saw it and said it was awesome. lol

the same critics who generally loved/liked: Iron Man, GOTG, Avengers, Deadpool, Dark Knight, DKR, Batman Begins, Cap: WS, X-Men: DOFP, X-Men First Class, Ant-Man. Blind devotion is what is truly embarrassing. From the trailers, this movie looked problematic. apparently, the trailers didn't lie.

Personally I can't see why there was so much love for ant-man. There's others that have scored high on RT that I didn't like and vice versa. I'm going to see the movie and make my own conclusions.

The score on Rotten tomatoes actually decreased while I was reading the reviews (39% to 38%). This is pointing to a great opening weekend and then the movie is going to fall off a cliff. For any movie to have holding power it must spread beyond its core audience. This requires both good reviews and good word of mouth. Yes, the fans will drive this movie high on opening weekend, but without the rest, massive returns may be a pipe-dream.

For those questioning rotten tomatoes, and what it means, it is nothing more than an average people. The site does not actually review movies. They read a review, say if it is generally positive or negative, with no other weighting. Generally good is plus one, generally bad is negative one. Nothing more.

I think this site has too much emphasis on pics, trailers, tweets, reviews and box office numbers

Too many opinions are formed prior to a release, lines are drawn in the sand, then when anything close to affirmation happens after release, a big "I told you so" post is made

I get if you don't like a trailer, a director or an actor, the plot etc and don't plan to see a movie, but to make reviews as your basis on viewing a movie is foolish IMHO

I think we could all name at least 10 movies that weren't loved by movies that we've enjoyed immensely

Think Different