• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I loved it. I think of all the superhero movies it's the best one I've seen since iron man. It was different and fresh. Completely what I've been wanting in a superhero movie for adults.

While not perfect it was far better than what I've been led to believe

There has not been a perfect superhero movie and I doubt there ever will be. The closest I believe Hollywood has come was with the Nolan Batman movies. Then the GOTG movie (I hated the "dance" scene at the end, but otherwise it was Marvel's best movie.) Most of the superhero movies, as movies, are just okay. Nothing ground breaking, but easily digestible for the masses.

Now that I've had a day to digest what I saw yesterday, I cannot help but think this was a very ambitious movie and one I will have no problem watching again and again over the years, especially if there is a director's cut to flesh out some of the scenes. Melding two huge stories, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and the Death of Superman, is ambitious.

I liked the style. It fit with the dark tone of the movie. The lack of humor was okay with me too. Again, it all fit with the tone that was being set. I've been reading reviews and such since I saw it yesterday and I posted my opinion here, so I'm quite surprised at some of the hate this movie has been getting. I can understand completely that this darker tone is not to everyone's liking. I am turned off by the tone of a movie like Ant Man, because it is too light hearted, IMHO comically so and it makes sense others will not like a darker movie. But, I wouldn't say Ant Man was a bad movie, just not a movie to my taste. But then, I am not one to go out and watch movies of similar ilk unless one of my kids is dragging me to see it.

Some of the story choices were challenging, not unlike an art house movie. Momento and Mulholland Drive come to mind. Some people are going to like that and others will prefer a straight forward, paint by the numbers, story telling style. Both have their place. I'm not opposed to another Snyder directed DC movie, but I think his style is better suited for darker characters. I think he would do wonders with a Swamp Thing movie, for example. And if Snyder is ever tapped for a Marvel movie, I think Moon Knight would be a character he could translate to the big screen.

My favorite scenes are:

1) Wonder Woman enjoying the battle with Doomsday.

2) Batman freeing Martha Kent. This is a Batman I would like to see more of.

3) Superman floating in space after being hit by the atomic explosion. This was right out of the comic book!

4) Superman in the Senate hearing after the blast killed everyone else in the room.

5) Superman taking out Batman's artillery when they began their big fight. (Him floating and using his eye beams to destroy the hardware.)

6) Superman and Batman's first confrontation after Superman rips the top off the Batmobile off.

This movie was so full of comic book imagery, it was hard to take it all in.

Did anyone else notice all the nods to Batman: The Dark Knight Returns? For example, the punk in the crowd with the spiked mohawk. Obviously the scene with Superman in space after the atomic explosion, Batman's armored suit, etc. I'm going to reread The Dark Knight Returns before my next viewing.

Regardless of the critics, this movie is a huge win for DC. It is going to make money. It does a terrific job setting up the DC Cinemaverse. I've used the baseball analogy before. DC does not need to hit home runs every time they go up to bat. They should be happy with the singles, doubles, and triples. Marvel's first movies, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America were not home runs. This is DC's second movie in their cinemaverse and when stacked up against Marvel's second movie, this is absolutely a success. Marvel had to tweak things as they went and I would expect DC to do the same. DC took a short cut getting to where Marvel is at, and overall I think DC did a good job. While I would have preferred the slow buildup, it makes sense that they would want to capitalize on the superhero craze in Hollywood right now and not risk missing out on the money to be made with the genre. And avoid the obvious comparison to the path Marvel took.

I cannot help but think comic fans are the real winners here. Marvel and DC characters, coming to life on the big screen with huge budgets, is a dream come true. I hope both Marvel and DC continue to take chances with these movies too, capture the best of what they've published over the years and let director's run with those ideas.

Edited by rjrjr

The good news from this movie is we have a great Wonder Woman movie and Ben Affleck Batman movie coming from this.

Who is not excited about those two upcoming movies?

They are now numbers 1 and 2 on my must see upcoming super hero movie list!

Absolutely. Hopefully we'll be adding Black Panther to that list in a few short months! (thumbs u

To give his fans a glimpse into the film’s production, concept artist Victor Martinez (who has done concept work on films such as Terminator Genisys, Tomorrowland, and Avatar) recently revealed some of the work he did on BvS.

batman-v-superman-concept-art-ben-affleck.jpg

batman-v-superman-concept-art-memorial-statue-henry-cavill.jpg

batman-v-superman-metropolis-memorial-park-concept-art.jpg

batman-v-superman-concept-art.jpg

I loved it. I think of all the superhero movies it's the best one I've seen since iron man. It was different and fresh. Completely what I've been wanting in a superhero movie for adults.

There has not been a perfect superhero movie and I doubt there ever will be. The closest I believe Hollywood has come was with the Nolan Batman movies. Then the GOTG movie (I hated the "dance" scene at the end, but otherwise it was Marvel's best movie.) Most of the superhero movies, as movies, are just okay. Nothing ground breaking, but easily digestible for the masses.

Now that I've had a day to digest what I saw yesterday, I cannot help but think this was a very ambitious movie and one I will have no problem watching again and again over the years, especially if there is a director's cut to flesh out some of the scenes. Melding two huge stories, Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and the Death of Superman, is ambitious.

I liked the style. It fit with the dark tone of the movie. The lack of humor was okay with me too. Again, it all fit with the tone that was being set. I've been reading reviews and such since I saw it yesterday and I posted my opinion here, so I'm quite surprised at some of the hate this movie has been getting. I can understand completely that this darker tone is not to everyone's liking. I am turned off by the tone of a movie like Ant Man, because it is too light hearted, IMHO comically so and it makes sense others will not like a darker movie. But, I wouldn't say Ant Man was a bad movie, just not a movie to my taste. But then, I am not one to go out and watch movies of similar ilk unless one of my kids is dragging me to see it.

Some of the story choices were challenging, not unlike an art house movie. Momento and Mulholland Drive come to mind. Some people are going to like that and others will prefer a straight forward, paint by the numbers, story telling style. Both have their place. I'm not opposed to another Snyder directed DC movie, but I think his style is better suited for darker characters. I think he would do wonders with a Swamp Thing movie, for example. And if Snyder is ever tapped for a Marvel movie, I think Moon Knight would be a character he could translate to the big screen.

My favorite scenes are:

3) Superman floating in space after being hit by the atomic explosion. This was right out of the comic book!

4) Superman in the Senate hearing after the blast killed everyone else in the room.

5) Superman taking out Batman's artillery when they began their big fight. (Him floating and using his eye beams to destroy the hardware.)

6) Superman and Batman's first confrontation after Superman rips the top off the Batmobile off.

Did anyone else notice all the nods to Batman: The Dark Knight Returns? For example, the punk in the crowd with the spiked mohawk. Obviously the scene with Superman in space after the atomic explosion, Batman's armored suit, etc. I'm going to reread The Dark Knight Returns before my next viewing.

Regardless of the critics, this movie is a huge win for DC. It is going to make money. It does a terrific job setting up the DC Cinemaverse. I've used the baseball analogy before. DC does not need to hit home runs every time they go up to bat. They should be happy with the singles, doubles, and triples. Marvel's first movies, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America were not home runs. This is DC's second movie in their cinemaverse and when stacked up against Marvel's second movie, this is absolutely a success. Marvel had to tweak things as they went and I would expect DC to do the same. DC took a short cut getting to where Marvel is at, and overall I think DC did a good job. While I would have preferred the slow buildup, it makes sense that they would want to capitalize on the superhero craze in Hollywood right now and not risk missing out on the money to be made with the genre. And avoid the obvious comparison to the path Marvel took.

I cannot help but think comic fans are the real winners here. Marvel and DC characters, coming to life on the big screen with huge budgets, is a dream come true. I hope both Marvel and DC continue to take chances with these movies too, capture the best of what they've published over the years and let director's run with those ideas.

The first Iron Man was NOT a home run? Those are fighting words right there! :mad:

My favorite scenes are:

Great post!

I think people disparage things that don't cater to their personal expectations, rather than just give an honest evaluation over what the final product is.

+1

I think this is the biggest reason most people will dislike the movie. The belief is that Marvel has created the perfect template and anything different or in this case the complete opposite will be met with harsh resistance

I keep reading that the first act was boring, I kept looking at my watch to figure out exactly what everyone was talking about 30 min in, ok everything good, 1 hour in ok still solid, 1.5 hours in did I miss something?

I appreciate how Snyder doesn't feel the need to hold my hand through every scene or set up. I was a bit critical of Watchmen but can appreciate it more now than when I first saw it.

I like Man of Steel and regret not watching it in the thearte. The bad taste of superman returns and reviews kept me away.

He's definitely gotten better and have faith in the next movie

I do not really think I can any thing new that has not been said already; but I left the movie feeling disappointed.

This felt like someone had 3 treatments of Death of Superman, The Dark Knight Returns (although he never left) and an old BvS -script then accidentally dropped them, stuffed parts of each in a single pile and handed it to the director who also had a couple pages of Convergence, Darkseid War, and Injustice fan fiction to film. The entire first half of the movie was a nice political thriller focused on the human element struggling in the face of "god". Then a switch flipped and the second half of the movie was just really pretty but completely disjointed action vomit with short bursts of "hey guys this character will have a movie out in the future".

My major problem was that Doomsday seemed out of place and Superman dying should have been a complete movie unto itself after the JLA and other characters have been established. It didn't make sense given all the in movie superman hate that they had a hero's funeral for him at the end. Now that you have already used the Doomsday/Superman death angle why should I care at all about the now immortal superman in future movies? The Eisenberg portrayal of an autistic Lex Luther with weird nervous ticks I found to be complete off putting and killed the movie for me when he was on screen. The Cameos while nice just didn't need to be in the movie, like the Thor scene in Avengers AoU.

I really wanted to like this movie and while I do not hate it, I left the theater disappointed at what this movie ruined for any future Superman movie in the next 20 years.

Edited by DougC

My favorite scenes are:

The first Iron Man was NOT a home run? Those are fighting words right there! :mad:

It was a double or triple. Marvel's first home run was the first Avengers movie IMHO. Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America loaded the bases.

It was a double or triple. Marvel's first home run was the first Avengers movie IMHO. Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America loaded the bases.

But guess who struck out while someone was waiting at third base?

dXQ3nok.jpg

:ohnoez:

But guess who struck out while someone was waiting at third base?

dXQ3nok.jpg

:ohnoez:

(thumbs ulol

Yes, but the Marvel Cinemaverse survived, just like DC's will if and when they have a financial miss.

I do not really think I can any thing new that has not been said already; but I left the movie feeling disappointed.

This felt like someone had 3 treatments of Death of Superman, The Dark Knight Returns (although he never left) and an old BvS -script then accidentally dropped them, stuffed parts of each in a single pile and handed it to the director who also had a couple pages of Convergence, Darkseid War, and Injustice fan fiction to film. The entire first half of the movie was a nice political thriller focused on the human element struggling in the face of "god". Then a switch flipped and the second half of the movie was just really pretty but completely disjointed action vomit with short bursts of "hey guys this character will have a movie out in the future".

My major problem was that Doomsday seemed out of place and Superman dying should have been a complete movie unto itself after the JLA and other characters have been established. It didn't make sense given all the in movie superman hate that they had a hero's funeral for him at the end. Now that you have already used the Doomsday/Superman death angle why should I care at all about the now immortal superman in future movies? The Eisenberg portrayal of an autistic Lex Luther with weird nervous ticks I found to be complete off putting and killed the movie for me when he was on screen. The Cameos while nice just didn't need to be in the movie, like the Thor scene in Avengers AoU.

I really wanted to like this movie and while I do not hate it, I left the theater disappointed at what this movie ruined for any future Superman movie in the next 20 years.

How did it ruin any future Superman movies? Warner Brothers is not going to put the character aside. If anything, these first 2 movies have given Superman something he has sorely been missing, a face lift and some relevance to today's audiences. Gone is the camp of the Christopher Reeves movies. They were good in their day, but just wouldn't work with today's audiences.

If you think about it, Superman has fared better than the Hulk. Marvel led with Iron Man and then followed up with the Hulk, because they thought that character was a franchise character. He wasn't. The Man of Steel and Superman vs. Batman have both made good money for Warner Brothers. (I'm assuming Superman vs. Batman isn't going to be a financial miss for Warner Brothers despite what some seem to want.)

Maybe the taint of the first Hulk movie was too much to overcome or maybe the character just doesn't work with today's audiences as a standalone character. (shrug) I know the character works for me in the role he played in the first Avengers movie.

The Return of Superman could have been it for the character. But the character was reinvented with the Man of Steel and with a good amount of success.

Edited by rjrjr

I don't understand all the hate for Superman in this movie. Whether it's how the character was portrayed or how the franchise has been ruined for years to come, there's a lot of criticism about Superman. That's not what I thought when I watched the movie and I didn't leave the cinema thinking "I preferred Batman to Superman". Cavill did a stand up job of portraying Superman, in both MoS and BvS. A modern actor for a modern Superman.

How did it ruin any future Superman movies? Warner Brothers is not going to put the character aside. If anything, these first 2 movies have given Superman something he has sorely been missing, a facelift and some relevance to today's audiences. Gone is the camp of the Christopher Reeves movies. They were good in their day, but just wouldn't work with today's audiences.

I do not think the grim/dark edgy brooding superman that worked for Batmans rebooting is the face lift audiences today will see as relevant, just tried and tired. They also blew the proverbial wad of kryptonite and doomsday as relevant and in world dangers to killing superman. They are painting themselves into a corner where superman is not longer humanized so when they need that humanized emotion it becomes unbelievable. What is worse is that when suspense is needed that this superman is now supposed to be in a dangerous situation it is likewise not believable.

WB seems at the moment to be willing to throw anything in a -script for a "pop" and by doing that it hurts any future movie scripts. They could have cut out the Doomsday/DKR items and saved them for a future when the JLA has been established with single character and combined character movies that would have a much more emotional impact on the rebooted superman character, fans, and other superheros. I really liked the character of Superman in the injustice comics as I understood his reasons, this movie felt like they really wanted that angle but didn't know how to do it so just said "screw it... kids still love edgy right"?

I think people disparage things that don't cater to their personal expectations, rather than just give an honest evaluation over what the final product is.

+1

I think this is the biggest reason most people will dislike the movie. The belief is that Marvel has created the perfect template and anything different or in this case the complete opposite will be met with harsh resistance

I keep reading that the first act was boring, I kept looking at my watch to figure out exactly what everyone was talking about 30 min in, ok everything good, 1 hour in ok still solid, 1.5 hours in did I miss something?

I appreciate how Snyder doesn't feel the need to hold my hand through every scene or set up. I was a bit critical of Watchmen but can appreciate it more now than when I first saw it.

I like Man of Steel and regret not watching it in the thearte. The bad taste of superman returns and reviews kept me away.

He's definitely gotten better and have faith in the next movie

Man, I hope Marvel's template is not the panacea of superhero movie templates. That will definitely contribute to a superhero movie burnout faster than anything. We need diversity, and I'm not talking about yet another character with a power suit with some different colors. I mean, different storytelling styles.

If every comic followed a template, we wouldn't have great comics like:

Batman: The Dark Knight Returns

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing

Kurt Busiek and Alex Ross' Marvels

The Death of Gwen Stacey

Thank goodness there are creators willing to break the mold and try new things with the media. I hope the same is true for superhero movies.

I don't understand all the hate for Superman in this movie. Whether it's how the character was portrayed or how the franchise has been ruined for years to come, there's a lot of criticism about Superman. That's not what I thought when I watched the movie and I didn't leave the cinema thinking "I preferred Batman to Superman". Cavill did a stand up job of portraying Superman, in both MoS and BvS. A modern actor for a modern Superman.

I can`t understand the hate as well. My thinking is Superman became so PC with Lois and Clark and Smallville over the years that this Snyder version of Superman really shocked the critics.

:gossip:

If we think about it. Most of these critics are PC`ers. This Snyder version of Superman was too much for them. Their vision of Superman is Superman rescuing a cat out of a tree. ;)

I missed two things with the Lex Luthor secret metahumans video files when it comes to Cyborg.

- Cyborg's dad is the actor that created Skynet in the Terminator series, converting his son into a cyborg.

- The box he uses to create Cyborg - that's a Mother Box created by a scientist from Darkseid's home planet, Apokolips.

:o

Too bad then because after 170 million weekend, they'll be sure to stick with the same formula.

How did it ruin any future Superman movies? Warner Brothers is not going to put the character aside. If anything, these first 2 movies have given Superman something he has sorely been missing, a facelift and some relevance to today's audiences. Gone is the camp of the Christopher Reeves movies. They were good in their day, but just wouldn't work with today's audiences.

I do not think the grim/dark edgy brooding superman that worked for Batmans rebooting is the face lift audiences today will see as relevant, just tried and tired. They also blew the proverbial wad of kryptonite and doomsday as relevant and in world dangers to killing superman. They are painting themselves into a corner where superman is not longer humanized so when they need that humanized emotion it becomes unbelievable. What is worse is that when suspense is needed that this superman is now supposed to be in a dangerous situation it is likewise not believable.

WB seems at the moment to be willing to throw anything in a -script for a "pop" and by doing that it hurts any future movie scripts. They could have cut out the Doomsday/DKR items and saved them for a future when the JLA has been established with single character and combined character movies that would have a much more emotional impact on the rebooted superman character, fans, and other superheros. I really liked the character of Superman in the injustice comics as I understood his reasons, this movie felt like they really wanted that angle but didn't know how to do it so just said "screw it... kids still love edgy right"?

I saw a Superman who, despite public criticism, continued to do the right thing. Some members of government, as orchestrated by Luthor, were villainizing him in public, yet he still continued to help throughout the world. It looked like many in the world still saw him as a savior, hence the statue and crowds of support.

He had every reason to hang up his cape, but his idealism would not allow that. In fact, his idealism spilled over into Batman by the movie's end. Bruce admitted he was wrong. And this Batman is a character who has lost at least one, if not more Robins, and has every reason to be cynical. (Actually, one of the main points of the movie.)

I guess I must have missed what you saw in the movie. This movie was Luthor's attempt to drag Superman down to Batman's cynical level, and he still emerged as a hero. I didn't see an edgy Superman at all. Just an edgy world that didn't succeed in tainting him.

How is Kryptonite any less dangerous to Superman? The character "died" in this movie because of Kryptonite. We saw Superman decimated by a nuclear explosion. If it wasn't for the sun, he would still be a lifeless husk floating in space. If anything, this Superman is way more vulnerable than any movie Superman we've seen before. He didn't just spin the world in the other direction to reverse time and set everything straight at the movie's end. I'm really trying to understand how a movie that shows the character "dying" is somehow removing the suspension of believe that this character is vulnerable. (Or maybe I'm not understanding what you are saying here.)

Edited by rjrjr