• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Come on Bosco. These tickets were presold. The opening weekend was critic proof, tickets were already sold before the first review came out. The important question is what the fall off is next week. 50% you have a winner (and yes, critic reviews don't matter) 80% and it might be a tremendous bomb. Next Sunday will be what matters (we were all expecting it to hit 160-180 before the reviews came out.)

Come on, jaybuck...

:gossip: By the way, does this mean I'm accusing you of something? I need to know.

:baiting:

..you know from cinema research even large hits experience a drop-off greater than 50% the second weekend.

'Batman v Superman' Dominates the Box Office, Opening Over $420 Million Worldwide

From an audience perspective, Batman v Superman received a so-so "B" CinemaScore with a "B-" coming from males, which made up 62% of the audience, and "B" from females. Audience members under the age of 18, however, scored it an "A-", which brings our attention to next weekend. Recent films such as Avengers: Age of Ultron and Batman v Superman predecessor Man of Steel saw 59.4% and 64.6% second weekend drops respectively. It's also worth noting a large drop should be expected no matter what, if only because $27.7 million of Batman v Superman's opening came from Thursday previews.

From a historical perspective, a second weekend drop around 62% is a safe bet at this time, and anything better than 60% would show the film is holding well in the face of odds that would otherwise suggest it was in trouble over the long run. Speculation aside, it won't be until we see how far it drops that we can get a good grasp on just how big it may go, but its success doesn't rely wholly on its domestic prospects as it also got off to a very strong start overseas.

But what you may have wanted to focus on is with Batman v Superman the studio did something different.

Batman v Superman release schedule

If you look at the calendar, any of the big markets were part of this week's numbers. With other movies like this the most that have opened the first weekend is about 45% of the market. So should these numbers have been higher?

(shrug)

But a reasonable second week drop-off is between 58% to 62%. Anything greater and that is a sign of trouble.

Second week usually is the tell, but this movie does have some room on its own for awhile until probably Jungle Book takes #1 unless I'm skipping over something.

Zootopia is still doing very nicely. Good movie too.

Warner Bros. Respond To BATMAN v SUPERMAN's Success; "There's A Disconnect Between Critics And Audiences"

"There is no question this is an extraordinary achievement," the studio's domestic distribution chief Jeff Goldstein said today. "Clearly, audiences have embraced it and we are already seeing repeat business. It's just fun. Often, there's a disconnect between critics and audiences. It doesn’t take itself seriously. It’s just an enjoyable afternoon at the movies."

One thing which now seems clear is that these numbers have just further cemented Warnr Bros.' plans to create a shared DC Films Universe, whether critics like it or not. "When you swing for the bleachers and connect, it’s a tremendous feeling. This felt like we were launching several films, so to come through like this makes all of us very proud."

Come on Bosco. These tickets were presold. The opening weekend was critic proof, tickets were already sold before the first review came out. The important question is what the fall off is next week. 50% you have a winner (and yes, critic reviews don't matter) 80% and it might be a tremendous bomb. Next Sunday will be what matters (we were all expecting it to hit 160-180 before the reviews came out.)

Is he not allowed to post a link that quotes others?

It looks like Boxofficemojo already started a showdown between four movies.

MPzlUft.png

Although it shows 100% opening worldwide (2 markets are not open yet), I do notice Batman v Superman opened in less theaters than the other movies. I wonder why that is?

It looks like Boxofficemojo already started a showdown between four movies.

MPzlUft.png

Although it shows 100% opening worldwide (2 markets are not open yet), I do notice Batman v Superman opened in less theaters than the other movies. I wonder why that is?

Maybe some of those theaters have since closed?

I was thinking that too. Especially when the Motion Picture Association of America has noted North America experienced some market retraction compared to the International market massive growth.

I just didn't think it would be that many theaters closed.

I was thinking that too. Especially when the Motion Picture Association of America has noted North America experienced some market retraction compared while the International market has been massive growth.

I just didn't think it would be that many theaters closed.

Is it theaters or screens? I think it's the second correct?

Warner Bros. Respond To BATMAN v SUPERMAN's Success; "There's A Disconnect Between Critics And Audiences"

"There is no question this is an extraordinary achievement," the studio's domestic distribution chief Jeff Goldstein said today. "Clearly, audiences have embraced it and we are already seeing repeat business. It's just fun. Often, there's a disconnect between critics and audiences. It doesn’t take itself seriously. It’s just an enjoyable afternoon at the movies."

One thing which now seems clear is that these numbers have just further cemented Warnr Bros.' plans to create a shared DC Films Universe, whether critics like it or not. "When you swing for the bleachers and connect, it’s a tremendous feeling. This felt like we were launching several films, so to come through like this makes all of us very proud."

I think they have this showing in as many overseas cinemas as soon as possible to stay ahead of reviews and word of mouth. There is no way these braniacs didn't know this movie wasn't going to receive flack from critics and fans. It makes sense to flood the world with it as fast as possible.

Is it theaters or screens? I think it's the second correct?

They are showing it as theater count. Which with movies like this you know there are more screens showing this than one.

FbZmFnu.png

hm

I might have missed it but I guess based on the short response you did not like it?

I liked the fight scenes. But there was no story, shallow character development, a director who was trying as hard as he can to ham fist his view of a character in there etc.

Come on, jaybuck...

:gossip: By the way, does this mean I'm accusing you of something? I need to know.

:baiting:

..you know from cinema research even large hits experience a drop-off greater than 50% the second weekend.

'Batman v Superman' Dominates the Box Office, Opening Over $420 Million Worldwide

From an audience perspective, Batman v Superman received a so-so "B" CinemaScore with a "B-" coming from males, which made up 62% of the audience, and "B" from females. Audience members under the age of 18, however, scored it an "A-", which brings our attention to next weekend. Recent films such as Avengers: Age of Ultron and Batman v Superman predecessor Man of Steel saw 59.4% and 64.6% second weekend drops respectively. It's also worth noting a large drop should be expected no matter what, if only because $27.7 million of Batman v Superman's opening came from Thursday previews.

From a historical perspective, a second weekend drop around 62% is a safe bet at this time, and anything better than 60% would show the film is holding well in the face of odds that would otherwise suggest it was in trouble over the long run. Speculation aside, it won't be until we see how far it drops that we can get a good grasp on just how big it may go, but its success doesn't rely wholly on its domestic prospects as it also got off to a very strong start overseas.

But what you may have wanted to focus on is with Batman v Superman the studio did something different.

Batman v Superman release schedule

If you look at the calendar, any of the big markets were part of this week's numbers. With other movies like this the most that have opened the first weekend is about 45% of the market. So should these numbers have been higher?

(shrug)

But a reasonable second week drop-off is between 58% to 62%. Anything greater and that is a sign of trouble.

Eh should have said Come on DC not Bosco. Apologies for that Bosco, no disrespect meant for you.

Someone will be along in a minute to tell us that sound track isn't Amazonian enough for Wonder Woman... :popcorn:

It's too slow.

It's confusing.

Not enough jokes.