• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

I saw it this morning. Thought it was good and would have probably enjoyed it more if I hadn't seen any of the trailers. As mentioned by others, the trailers gave a lot away in the movie. One part I thought was pretty cool was when Superman was floating in space after the nuke blew up. I thought for the few seconds he was out there that he looked a lot like Bizarro. I'm curious on how they're going to do the resurrection. It look like the dirt on the coffin levitated just before the screen went black at the very end of the movie.

But, its just a theory as you said, from my viewpoint. Everyone's opinions are alway welcome.

Afterall, why the Furious 7, Superman Returns and Age of Ultron praise will befuddle the rest of my life as why they aren't lumped together with Godzilla '98 or Batman & Robin.

Throw in Iron Man 3. That was a mess of a movie and it made tons and wasn't panned.

Edited by rjrjr

...I think the critics just prefer the quieter ones about little kids chasing balloons in a city or a librarian battling dyslexia while in black and white or something...

Red_balloon.jpg

:foryou:

...Dreams lasted a little too long, (especially with Superman's father), lots of just little stylized sequences too long. Felt disjointed. Too MUCH going on...

hm

It might have been a different story if the dream sequences were in black & white... ;)

...Almost nerd tears awesome...

:applause:

It was strange how Batman went from 100% kill Superman to 100% help Superman. Other than that, I loved it! Bring on WW!

Batman saw Superman as an alien and threat that needed to be taken out, thanks to Lex Luthor's machinations. Hearing the name of his mother gave him pause and when Lois showed up and tells Batman Martha is Superman's mom, Superman was humanized to Batman for the first time. He realized he was wrong about Superman.

This movie was very much about these two heroes being in a dark place. Batman is older and cynical. Superman, younger and unsure of his place in the world. Look at his reaction to those people who were idolizing him after he rescues the girl from the burning building. He was questioning if his heroic deeds were actually worth it with all the trouble Luthor was making behind the scenes. I suspect he was ready to hang up the cape after the explosion at the hearing.

At least none of our heroes broke out into a dance to distract Doomsday. :grin:

Edited by rjrjr

‘Batman v Superman’ Triumphs: Do Critics Matter at the Box Office?

In the days leading up to its release this weekend, major critics tried to outdo each other by cooking up the most devastating ways to dismiss “Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice” as a creatively bankrupt, corporately mandated cash grab searching fruitlessly for a coherent plot. The New York Times’ A.O. Scott quipped that getting brained by a porcelain sink was more diverting than “Batman v Superman,” the Wall Street Journal’s Joe Morgenstern branded it “stupendously dispiriting” and Time Out’s Joshua Rothkopf hoped that “…audiences will reject Zack Snyder’s lumbering, dead-on-arrival superhero mélange.”

The results are a devastating rebuke to the power of mainstream American critics at a time when many newspapers have already outsourced their reviews to wire services and the rise of bloggers has de-professionalized the practice of assessing a film’s attributes and demerits. In an age of declining newspaper and magazine subscriptions, getting a strong notice from a major reviewer may help smaller films like “Spotlight” or “Brooklyn” find success, but it does little for big-budget, special effects-driven spectacles. Featuring iconic characters like Batman, Bond or Iron Man, they arrive with what studios like to call “pre-awareness.”

The drop-off in its second weekend could be steep, however. “Batman v Superman” is the only one of the top ten domestic debuts not to score a “fresh” rating on Rotten Tomatoes, making it something of an outlier. Moreover, although its B CinemaScore signals that audiences like the film more than critics do, it’s not a rousing endorsement. Among films featuring the Caped Crusader or the Man of Steel, only “Batman and Robin” with a C+ and “Superman IV” with a C scored worse CinemaScore ratings, and both films fell flat at the box office. If word-of-mouth is tepid, “Batman v Superman” could end up making a disproportionate amount of its money over its opening weekend.

“Good reviews sustain a film in the lean weeks, in weeks four or five when it’s been out for awhile,” said Jeff Bock, a box office analyst at Exhibitor Relations.

The good news for Warner Bros. is that by opening the film in March instead of the summer, the studio largely steered clear of major tentpole movies. The next blockbuster hopeful, Disney’s “The Jungle Book,” doesn’t hit theaters for two weeks, giving “Batman v Superman” a long runway to pad its gross unless audiences start agreeing with A.O. Scott en masse.

That was an interesting opinion. Yes, the movie does elicit and stir up uncomfortable feelings. I think that could be the reason for all the negativity surrounding the movie. I found it to be quite joyless myself but appreciated how the actors brought the material to the big screen.

:o

Now this may have some impact...

'Mommy - Daddy - stop it!'

...on his mother and father ever speaking again.

:ohnoez:

That was an interesting opinion. Yes, the movie does elicit and stir up uncomfortable feelings. I think that could be the reason for all the negativity surrounding the movie. I found it to be quite joyless myself but appreciated how the actors brought the material to the big screen.

So its ending on a positive note when Batman comes to realize...

Superman was truly a hero by sacrificing himself rather than allow Doomsday to destroy the city - and probably worse once he was done with the local people - leading to his wanting to honor his memory by protecting the world from such destruction by forming the Justice League...

...didn't leave you wanting more?

...I think the critics just prefer the quieter ones about little kids chasing balloons in a city or a librarian battling dyslexia while in black and white or something...

Red_balloon.jpg

Loved BVS, but The Red Balloon.is a must see movie for anyone who wants to have a good understanding of classic International cinema. :baiting:

At least none of our heroes broke out into a dance to distract Doomsday. :grin:

lol

lol

A scene that will live in infamy.

:ohnoez:

Batman should have done the Batusi, that might have scared him off.

Red_balloon.jpg

Loved BVS, but The Red Balloon.is a must see movie for anyone who wants to have a good understanding of classic International cinema. :baiting:

I've seen it several times... And more than one edit! I knew exactly what NEG was referring to. I have to say though, the Red Balloon loses its appeal as you get older...

I remember going to see Blade Runner on the big screen when it was first released - the mainstream critics absolutely hated that film.
I suspect if Rotten Tomatoes was around back then many loved (while not technically great films) would get killed

Blade Runner is a perfect example.

I understand it's human nature to want to support their personal narrative but we have to be careful what you may hear someone say or reported falsely and take it for truth

That's not even true. Reviews were mixed for Blade Runner, people just didn't go see it. it was not a commercial success at all. It was poorly marketed and went directly up against the release of what would become the biggest movie of ALL TIME at the time.

You know what we have learned you don't do now? You don't open when the biggest movie of all time and is in the same genre as you opens.

For the record one of my favorite movies of all time lost money. Children of Men. Top 5 easily. Amazing film.