• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Was able to grab two scenes from the Cyborg appearance.

The Mother Box when it first rises up from the table, and starts to transform.

Am9Ua5u.jpg

Then, the Mother Box starts to break down and encircle Victor.

Warner Bros. Respond To BATMAN v SUPERMAN's Success; "There's A Disconnect Between Critics And Audiences"

"There is no question this is an extraordinary achievement," the studio's domestic distribution chief Jeff Goldstein said today. "Clearly, audiences have embraced it and we are already seeing repeat business. It's just fun. Often, there's a disconnect between critics and audiences. It doesn’t take itself seriously. It’s just an enjoyable afternoon at the movies."

One thing which now seems clear is that these numbers have just further cemented Warnr Bros.' plans to create a shared DC Films Universe, whether critics like it or not. "When you swing for the bleachers and connect, it’s a tremendous feeling. This felt like we were launching several films, so to come through like this makes all of us very proud."

Come on Bosco. These tickets were presold. The opening weekend was critic proof, tickets were already sold before the first review came out. The important question is what the fall off is next week. 50% you have a winner (and yes, critic reviews don't matter) 80% and it might be a tremendous bomb. Next Sunday will be what matters (we were all expecting it to hit 160-180 before the reviews came out.)

It won't drop 80%. Probably drop somewhere in the 60% range give or take a couple of points. Which is to be expected given how big it opened, the negative reviews scare off a few people and the fact that it is not a holiday weekend and last weekend was (kind of). It will still be considered a hit by any monetary measure once all is said and done. As I said earlier, doesn't matter what the critics have to say, this is a critic proof type of movie.

Come on Bosco. These tickets were presold. The opening weekend was critic proof, tickets were already sold before the first review came out. The important question is what the fall off is next week. 50% you have a winner (and yes, critic reviews don't matter) 80% and it might be a tremendous bomb. Next Sunday will be what matters (we were all expecting it to hit 160-180 before the reviews came out.)

It won't drop 80%. Probably drop somewhere in the 60% range give or take a couple of points. Which is to be expected given how big it opened, the negative reviews scare off a few people and the fact that it is not a holiday weekend and last weekend was (kind of). It will still be considered a hit by any monetary measure once all is said and done. As I said earlier, doesn't matter what the critics have to say, this is a critic proof type of movie.

...and with the big opening it got, its almost a guarantee they'll be more down the pipeline now.

A huge audience demand for their properties has been established for Warner/DC now.

ok this would have been crazy if they left it in the movie.

SPOILERS: First BATMAN V SUPERMAN Deleted Scene Shows How 'Lex Luthor' Met His Fate[

video didn't want ot work so click on the link

here you go

Batman v Superman - Deleted Scene "Communion"

The deleted scene, dubbed “Communion” ... takes place after Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman defeat Doomsday. In the scene, a Metropolis SWAT team infiltrates the kryptonian scout ship, where Lex created Doomsday, in order to arrest the LexCorp head for his malevolent misdeeds – only to walk in on Lex standing in the kryptonian birthing matrix and “communing” with a demonic looking alien creature (who is holding three boxes).

The scene might look like complete nonsense to casual viewers but to longtime fans of DC comic books, there are several intriguing hints here – which also add connective tissue to other seemingly random pieces of information that went unexplained in the film. At this point, there’s no way of knowing exactly what we are seeing here – but we can venture a few educated guesses...

More on the web page.

That's not even true. Reviews were mixed for Blade Runner, people just didn't go see it. it was not a commercial success at all. It was poorly marketed and went directly up against the release of what would become the biggest movie of ALL TIME at the time.
I bought the 60th Anniversary Edition of a movie that critics killed at the time as well as fellow filmmakers... High Noon.

When released, critics were turned off to a "cowardly" cowboy begging for help and finally saved (SPOILER ALERT!) by his bride.

Just a perspective to share (please nobody who just looked it up wiki to tell me it was always a Best Picture classic). Try to find a similiar thumbs down movie that turned out to be a classic (In the commentary of The Fog, Carpenter stated critics intially panned Halloween before revision reviews came).

It's a Wonderful Life, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, and Citizen Kane were all panned by critics. All went on to become something more as the years rolled by.

Yes, I looked these up to see what great movies received poor reviews when they were released after you posted this.

And no, I don't think Batman v Superman is in the same category. But I do think the critics were wrong and so does apparently much of the paying audience.

Seems like this movie might have staying problems...

'Batman v Superman' Sets Record With Worst Friday-Sunday Drop For A Superhero Pic

Reading the comments of the article (you have to click on that part for it to come up), someone made an interesting point

I created this account just comment on how ridiculous the numbers are being skewed in this article to fit a narrative.

Did BvS have the largest Friday to Sunday decline ever for a Superhero movie? Yes, that is factually accurate.

But what you failed to take into account or explain is the opening Friday – GOOD FRIDAY – which naturally inflates the box office totals for both Thursday night and Friday itself. So when comparing that inflated total to the Sunday, of course it has the largest decline! In fact, on average Good Friday has outgrossed the following Saturday by about 5% (even after removing the Thursday night preview grosses). No other opening weekend in your chart has that same altered weekend pattern.

If you want a more apt comparison, use Furious 7, which opened on Easter weekend last year, you’ll find the numbers are pretty close.

I don’t have an agenda; this is just bad journalism.

Then another...

What a dumb article. Take Thursdays Talley from Friday and you’ll get $54m on Friday leaving a drop from Friday to sat less than 10%….plus Easter Sunday absolutely killed Sunday sales period…

It would appear the article writer didn't factor the behavior of potential movie-goers during a religious and family holiday like Easter.

What a dumb article. Take Thursdays Talley from Friday and you’ll get $54m on Friday leaving a drop from Friday to sat less than 10%….plus Easter Sunday absolutely killed Sunday sales period…

It would appear the article writer didn't factor the behavior of potential movie-goers during a religious and family holiday like Easter.

Isn't that why it was released that weekend? Taking advantage of holidays?

Seems like this movie might have staying problems...

'Batman v Superman' Sets Record With Worst Friday-Sunday Drop For A Superhero Pic

Reading the comments of the article (you have to click on that part for it to come up), someone made an interesting point

I created this account just comment on how ridiculous the numbers are being skewed in this article to fit a narrative.

Did BvS have the largest Friday to Sunday decline ever for a Superhero movie? Yes, that is factually accurate.

But what you failed to take into account or explain is the opening Friday – GOOD FRIDAY – which naturally inflates the box office totals for both Thursday night and Friday itself. So when comparing that inflated total to the Sunday, of course it has the largest decline! In fact, on average Good Friday has outgrossed the following Saturday by about 5% (even after removing the Thursday night preview grosses). No other opening weekend in your chart has that same altered weekend pattern.

If you want a more apt comparison, use Furious 7, which opened on Easter weekend last year, you’ll find the numbers are pretty close.

I don’t have an agenda; this is just bad journalism.

Then another...

Agree, while I don't think this will have great staying power (though I recommend the movie to comic fans), I wouldn't read too much into the numbers yet for better or for worse.

Actually, no. There was other criteria factored into the decision.

‘Batman V. Superman’ Moves Release Date Again As Warner Bros Sets DC Game Plan

Batman V Superman: Dawn Of Justice has been moved up on the release date schedule from May 2016 to March 25, 2016. The move is part of Warner Bros’ road map for its DC franchises with dates just announced for nine untitled DC pics as well as two “untitled WB event film” slots that take the DC Comics series of movies into 2020. Somewhere in there will be the already announced Justice League tentpole, the superhero mash-up that will be WB’s answer to Marvel’s Avengers juggernaut. The release strategy for the DC titles calls for two pics in 2016 and 2017, bumping up to three in 2018, two more in 2019 and three in 2020.

Batman V Superman‘s second release date move also avoids a showdown with Disney/Marvel’s Captain America 3, which had staked out the same May 6, 2016 date.

I didn't realize this beforehand. But the release month had a special meaning to Zack Snyder.

Batman v Superman Is Moving Away From Captain America 3's Release Date

The first weekend in May has constantly proven to be the most successful blockbuster weekend of the year in Hollywood, but the good news for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice is that the industry has spent many years turning March into another blockbuster month – and Zack Snyder actually has a lot to do with that. While it certainly looked like a summer blockbuster, Snyder’s 300 came out in March of 2007 and was an absolute smash hit, opening the doors for other big movies to be released within that same 31 day timeframe. In the years since, movies like The Hunger Games, Alice in Wonderland, Oz The Great And Powerful and The Lorax have all come out in March and been considered huge successes.

That's not even true. Reviews were mixed for Blade Runner, people just didn't go see it. it was not a commercial success at all. It was poorly marketed and went directly up against the release of what would become the biggest movie of ALL TIME at the time.
I bought the 60th Anniversary Edition of a movie that critics killed at the time as well as fellow filmmakers... High Noon.

When released, critics were turned off to a "cowardly" cowboy begging for help and finally saved (SPOILER ALERT!) by his bride.

Just a perspective to share (please nobody who just looked it up wiki to tell me it was always a Best Picture classic). Try to find a similiar thumbs down movie that turned out to be a classic (In the commentary of The Fog, Carpenter stated critics intially panned Halloween before revision reviews came).

It's a Wonderful Life, Psycho, Wizard of Oz, and Citizen Kane were all panned by critics. All went on to become something more as the years rolled by.

Yes, I looked these up to see what great movies received poor reviews when they were released after you posted this.

And no, I don't think Batman v Superman is in the same category. But I do think the critics were wrong and so does apparently much of the paying audience.

:applause:

It was just a very thin point I was trying make. Practically anorexic actually.

Yes.

They wanted the out of school kids AND to get away from Cap 3.

The day over day drops are definitely not a good sign.

-J.