• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Boxofficemojo was calling $170 million yesterday, based on Thursday-Saturday performance.

I didn't see it until last night, but I'm not surprised by the downward estimate because

1) Easter Sunday

2) The negative reviews mean this film is going to be incredibly front-loaded. If critics had loved it far more "civilians" (i.e., not comic book message geeks) would have made an effort to see it yesterday.

My overall issue with the film is just wasn't "fun" & that will kill the appeal of repeat viewings.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a 70% drop next weekend and/or topping out at just a $450 million domestic cume.

Not a catastrophe, but def. underperforming relative to expectations.

I don't normally follow the box office numbers, but according to BoxofficeMojo, the film had a great weekend despite the trainwreck reviews.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=4171&p=.htm

'Batman v Superman' Dominates the Box Office, Opening Over $420 Million Worldwide

no doubt it did well, but its likely a pretty significant amount of these tickets were pre-sale, and/or people who would have gone to see the movie anyway. For better or worse, this movie is a highly anticipated 'event' movie. So I wouldn't use this particular set of box office numbers to draw any conclusions about how audiences are responding to critical reviews.

:o

Now this may have some impact...

'Mommy - Daddy - stop it!'

...on his mother and father ever speaking again.

:ohnoez:

Guy has some issues. And I don't mean golden age ones.

ok this would have been crazy if they left it in the movie.

SPOILERS: First BATMAN V SUPERMAN Deleted Scene Shows How 'Lex Luthor' Met His Fate[

video didn't want ot work so click on the link

And this must be where the motherbox came from that was used by...

Cyborg's dad to alter his son was shown in Lex's metahuman videos.

:whee:

Strange.....doesn't look ANYTHING like the motherboxes they showed in the Cyborg sequence....and doesn't look like Steppenwolf from the comics or animated series....

But it does say this in wikipedia:

Steppenwolf appears in a deleted scene of Batman vs Superman: Dawn of Justice where he is seen having a communion with Lex, holding three Mother Boxes and teleports away once the police arrive.

This is the kinda thing that COULD have made the movie better......methinks they cut alot of stuff that would have soothed the savage fans.

Hey all --

Saw the movie this morning, and would give it a 4/10. Way, way too self-absorbed and heavy for the story it told -- I knew there was going to be trouble when the soundtrack blasted BUM-BUM- BUM-BUM! to accompany someone simply walking from one place to another in slow motion. The soundtrack + pretension of the visuals just turned it into melodrama (not drama).

Acting overall was fine despite the scattershot -script, including Affleck's work as Batman, but Henry Cavill was given absolutely nothing to do except mope and respond to others -- best thing about him was Clark's crusade for his major newspaper to cover a long-standing vigilante's turn to torture and branding criminals while in league with the Gotham police department (I'm sorry, Perry White's reluctance to call that "news" seemed ludicrous). At least as Clark, Cavill showed passion and a care for his fellow man besides just Lois.

Ultimately I felt the two male leads were emotionally castrated...couldn't keep a conversation going with anyone for more than 30 seconds before they sped away. I guess I can see that characterization for Batman a little bit -- Alfred was there to let you know he wasn't always so vengeful and "cruel". Meanwhile, Eisenberg's Luthor was just way overacted.

Action was very good overall -- a bit dark and muddled at times, but fun stuff. I liked several of the smaller performances (Hunter, Irons) but they never seemed to fit into the whole of the movie very well...it ended up being just about too many things (and being too poorly edited along the way) to make a cohesive and poignant story.

Worst part for me was how they had to shoehorn character motivations into position -- a plot-centered story instead of a character-centered one. I thought they might have done more to show us how Luthor feared a Nazi-style regime based on his father's experiences (?), but then he said he hated his father, so...dunno. He just felt crazy, not brilliant.

Gal Gadot was OK with what she had -- pretty solid scenes with Bruce early on but wooden delivery during the battle and afterward. We'll see. Nice to see WW on the screen, though!

Dan

Strange.....doesn't look ANYTHING like the motherboxes they showed in the Cyborg sequence....

Sure it does.

When Silas Stone's S.T.A.R. Labs video comes up, you see him with a box that then morphs into that metallic cloud that surrounds Victor Stone's torso (or what is left of the poor fellow).

I think the motivations for Bats fighting Supes would have made more sense if Lex caught Bats stealing something (i.e. data) that would have exposed him. In desperation to get the info back or quash it before it gets out of hand, Lex would force Supes to attack Bats.

Strange.....doesn't look ANYTHING like the motherboxes they showed in the Cyborg sequence....

Sure it does.

When Silas Stone's S.T.A.R. Labs video comes up, you see him with a box that then morphs into that metallic cloud that surrounds Victor Stone's torso (or what is left of the poor fellow).

Metahuman videos are still online, though Warner has been pulling these down.

Batman v Superman review of metahuman videos

If you expand the video near the end, you see the Mother Box fly off the table and towards Victor, causing him to scream.