• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Not sure why the critics panned the movie so much, but to each his or her own.

My wife and I went with another couple and everyone, including me, thought it was the best superhero movie to date. The girls loved Wonder Woman. The guy I went with loved the dark tone of the movie. They thought the battle between Superman and Batman was weird but I explained the team-up dynamic in almost all comics... Good guys have misunderstanding, patch things up, fight an even greater threat to them or humanity, friends in the end(minus supes dying). They were shocked by the death, but like me, expect him to be back eventually, duh.

Sure there were a few problems, like them not actually showing Flash (totally selfish desire on my part), but all superhero movies and regular movies for that matter have problems.

I asked my wife if I should preorder the blu-ray and she said definitely, so it was a success in my book.

in boise, it's my guess that theaters have only shown elektra, catwoman, ghost rider 2, and the new ff movie before this one. that's the only rational explanation for FOUR DIFFERENT PEOPLE thinking this is the best superhero movie to date. and, yes, i understand "opinions can't be wrong," but this is worse than opining that jamarcus russell was a better nfl quarterback than manning [any of the 3].

Sure we have to wait until big movies come out on laser disc...can't wait for Captain America 1 to make it over here. Sometimes it feels like we're living in Wyoming.!

Wasn't trying to say our views were correct or incorrect. That was how we felt when we left the theatres. Don't care how the cultured Cajuns feel or anyone else. just 4 people who liked the movie.

altho' there is a cajun culture, i don't know many i'd call cultured!!!!

Best review I've read so far:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/batman-v-superman-spoiler-faq-of-justice-1767720335

(Warning: contains major spoilers)

The DC Murderverse :lol:

I completely agree with this review.

DC/Warner Bros is absolutely a clueless movie company.

DC needs to completely revamp their approach and creative staff going forward.

I disagree. I hope Warner stays on this path. When I want light kids fair, I can always watch a Marvel comic movie.

Saw it yesterday. Wonderful movie. As I suspected the 30% RT grade was nothing but cheap politics.

Its simple, if you like action packed Marvel style movies - this pup aint for you. If you like deep dark thought provoking movies this ones a keeper.

DC is doing to superhero movies what it did to comics back in the mid to late 80s

what are the politics you are mentioning?

Also what are the thoughts that you felt the movie provoked?

I felt like it was trying to be thoughtful (vs the glib, popcorn marvel movies) but got so bogged down any attempts to be "deep" got lost in the muddiness and plot holes.

kudos for trying, but trying ain't the same as succeeding...

Critics are lobbyists. theyll tell you what they "honestly" think based on how much money gets in their pockets.

29% for this movie is nothing but an insult. Deliberate insult... Someone didnt get paid.

Well Ill tell ya. Warner got paid.

And good for them, they did an excellent job.

Theres no way youre gonna go to a Christopher Nolan production and not take something from the cinematic experience. But, it depends on the mood. You may go to a movie and expect to see good guys beating bad guys and some T&A thrown in for good measure, or you can go see a movie with alot of depth and a unique interpretation of what good vs bad really is. Its not always black and white is it now?

Edited by Aweandlorder

My review. And there are a TON of spoilers, so if you don't want to know, don't click....

But the title of my review says it all:

If you hate BVS: Dawn of Justice, you're wrong.

Really, i just don't understand the critics hostility toward this movie. Then again, this is 'merica, and we don't really have FILM critics, as much as movie critics, but hey, even the UK's Sight & Sound wasn't much impressed.

I can't figure out why.

Personally, I followed the story from the beginning...ok, they're showing us the death of Batman's parent's, reminding us he's human and motivated by REVENGE - an important lesson here - and then we later see his building being destroyed and a friend killed and he's angry at whoever did it (he can't necessarily SEE it at the time - once again, an important thing to notice....

We ASSUME he already knows it's Superman, because of how it was marketed, BUT, if you pay close attention....

In the next scene, Supes saves Lois Lane in the Middle East, BUT, once again if you're paying attention... you'll notice some kind of double cross happens out front while the bad guy has her inside... and you SHOULD think....Hmmm… something's amiss here, what was it?

Next, we see Senate hearings where they're trying to say Superman is to blame for some deaths in the middle east where he saved Lois, and we know that isn't true, so...already we see someone is manipulating events… but who? Holly Hunter? Lex, who we know is coming up at some point, and who i assumed was behind it.

Why critics so lost at this point in the movie?

Meanwhile, Batman’s PTSD is kicking into high gear and he is taking it out on every criminal in sight - remember, he is motivated by REVENGE, NOT by doing what is RIGHT, and Alfred even warns him, “That’s how it starts. The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men….cruel.”

We see Clark noticing Batman on the news, which puts a bee in his bonnet…I mean think about it. Much is made about Ma Kent telling him “You don’t owe this world anything”, but what she REALLY says is “Be their hero Clark. Be their angel, be their monument, be anything they need you to be… or be none of it. You don’t owe this world anything. You never did.” Which MEANS: Do it or DON’T do it, but if you DO, do it for the RIGHT reasons. Do it because you WANT to. Some are born to be hero’s and some aren’t, don’t ever feel you HAVE to. Do it because it’s YOU.

Dang, they should’ve let me write that part.

But anyway, Clark sees Batman OVER-doing it, when HE, as the strongest being on the planet, has to actually HOLD BACK, and even when he saves someone is getting criticized in Senate hearings…. which of course leads us to Lex making shady dealings with government officials and then… well, then if you’re any kind of comic book reader, and honestly, I’ve probably read LESS Superman and Batman comics than almost anyone on this forum, but, DUH, Lex Luthor has manipulated EVERY MOVE IN THIS MOVIE THUS FAR, in order to get BATMAN to FIGHT SUPERMAN. (They even give us a hint when Lex tells Bruce, “You should NOT want to pick a fight with this guy” (Clark).

Ok, so, not exactly the most original idea, I know, but what made this movie for me was the underlying theme of good vs evil, revenge vs duty, love vs hate… it’s so much a part of what’s here, and yet, I really haven’t seen anyone bring it up. Even Wonder Woman, yes she’s hot, and she’s BAD AZZ, but she gets drawn into it from a sense of duty and… LOVE. You know why she wanted that picture back, right? That’s Chris Pine next to her in the photo… he plays Steve Trevor in the WW movie.

Honestly, I tend to be an on the move kinda guy, and sitting in a theater for 2 1/2 to 3 hours is tough for me. I'll be honest, even the best Batman movie, the one where Heath Ledger (RIP) played the Joker... I got up to go to the restroom during the movie, and had no problem taking my time to wash my hands extra carefully and notice some of the coming attraction posters on my way back in, but for this movie I was engrossed all the way through.

It’s NOT a Marvel movie. Zack Snyder was trying to make a FILM. He’s already made the best superhero FILM of all (Watchmen) and I honestly believe, that critics will eventually come around on this movie and see it for what it is. An attempt to do a real superhero FILM. It’s taking the themes of duty and honor and loyalty and LOVE, and weaving them into a (maybe not so complex of a plot) involving superheroes. And I, personally think it worked.

And when it got to the fight scenes…. I’m sorry Marvel guys (and really I’M a Marvel guy), no one films superhero's beating the out of each other like Zack Snyder. Those battle scenes between Batman/Superman, Superman/Doomsday and all 3 of them vs Doomsday were BRUTAL and FUN. And I know some people didn’t like the idea of the DOS being shoehorned into the movie or whatever, but seriously, I ain’t sitting’ through no 2 1/2 hour DOS movie. It fit perfectly.

And it taught Bruce a lesson. Here was an ALIEN, willing to risk it all to either save his MOM or the WORLD, it didn’t matter which, it what heroes DO…. for no other reason than BECAUSE.

He’s a HERO. And that’s what hero’s do.

Not for revenge, not for glory, not for any reason other than BECAUSE.

Evil is the absence of good, but GOOD is more than the absence of evil. It takes an additional effort. And that’s what heroes are.

At the end, Diane says “I walked away from man a century ago, because of the horrors of man.” and Bruce says, “Man is still good. We break things, tear them down, but we can rebuild. We can be better, we have to be.”

BRUCE says that!

Ok, a few other notes: Anyone notice the mother box in the Cyborg clip? Very cool.

Where the heck is Green Lantern?

Superman + Eye Beams = very cool. Marvel, Vision, please take note.

Robin’s costume…. oh man….

Finally someone that got it. I followed the exact same path, great job. It's very ambitious. He takes a bunch of home run swings, some miss, but many fly out of the park.

I really think that we've been accustomed to the hand holding whereas Snyder decided to treat the audience like adults and not do that.

Great and wonderful post.

Agreed. Definitely a good review and I'm glad someone else saw the same movie I did.

I don't really care what the critics said. None of their commentary influenced my feelings about the movie.

I really WANTED to love this flick. I really enjoyed MOS and was eager to see it followed up by BvS. In fact, I had that MOS theme music in my head and felt uplifted after seeing the first movie....(in spite of the controversial ending).

I've been a staunch advocate for the DCCU and a stalwart defender of everything DC right along.

With the exception of the new WW music theme....I felt that the soundtrack was distracting, choppy and dissonant.......even intrusive.

That was a fail IMHO. As I mentioned previously: if I hadn't seen the trailers, I would have possibly enjoyed the film to a greater degree. I honestly felt that the movie was all the trailers glued together with some patchy dialogue and a thin thread that connects the rest.

I'm still eager to see what the JL movie has to offer, but I was effectively let down by BvS. For all the hype, posturing and pre-movie discussion of plotline....especially the comments by Snyder that inferred much more was going to be in the movie than what was displayed in the trailers......it just didn't measure up.

Not arguing you not feeling the soundtrack. But you are aware that the soundtrack for the movie is basically an expansion of MOS by Zimmer/JXL right?

There are many tracks in the BvS soundtrack that are practically a "remix" of the tracks from the MOS score:

Saw it yesterday. Wonderful movie. As I suspected the 30% RT grade was nothing but cheap politics.

Its simple, if you like action packed Marvel style movies - this pup aint for you. If you like deep dark thought provoking movies this ones a keeper.

DC is doing to superhero movies what it did to comics back in the mid to late 80s

I felt like it was trying to be thoughtful (vs the glib, popcorn marvel movies) but got so bogged down any attempts to be "deep" got lost in the muddiness and plot holes.

Critics are lobbyists. theyll tell you what they "honestly" think based on how much money gets in their pockets.

29% for this movie is nothing but an insult. Deliberate insult... Someone didnt get paid.

Theres no way youre gonna go to a Christopher Nolan production and not take something from the cinematic experience. But, it depends on the mood. You may go to a movie and expect to see good guys beating bad guys and some T&A thrown in for good measure, or you can go see a movie with alot of depth and a unique interpretation of what bad vs evil really is. Its not always black and white is it now?

i've got to go back to gold and stay there; i'm getting depressed reading the stuff the movie forum attracts. bye [and, i know: "good riddance" as far as the d.c. movie crowd is concerned--fair enough].

DEADLINE: ‘Batman V Superman’ Makes $46M Around The Globe On Easter Monday, Worldwide B.O. Now At $468.6M

Warner Bros. just reported Easter Monday numbers for Batman v Superman. A number of countries were on holiday yesterday. Together with $15M domestic, overseas raked in $31M on Monday, sending the day’s global total to $46M. Worldwide, BvS stands at $468.6M. WB has revised its weekend opening to $256.5m internationally putting worldwide at $422.6m.

In the global opening record books, BvS is the fourth highest behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($529M), Jurassic World ($524.9M), and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($483.2M). Sources are keen for me to point out that those titles that BvS outflanks on the list; many of them had unique foreign rollouts, and unlike BvS didn’t have China during their first frames. JW, BvS and Spider-Man 3 included China in their day and date debuts.

With two indie movies going wide this weekend at the domestic B.O. –PureFlix’s God’s Not Dead 2 at 2,318 venues and Freestyle’s Meet the Blacks at 1,000 theaters– there’s some murmuring that BvS’ drop might not be as steep as we originally thought ( -65%). Word of mouth seems to be more upbeat than the CinemaScore and reviews.

TM7xPME.png

sWuF5sf.png

La41uGV.png

yeah but they are showing this worldwide ALL at once, yes EVERYWHERE AT ONCE....to stay ahead of critics and word of mouth. The real numbers will be in a month. Marvel movies open worldwide slowly but surely even Green Lantern didn't open this way . Star wars did though.

I just read Kevin Smith's take on this movie and its in line with most opinions. People are not haters or "critics" if they didn't enjoy a movie they pay to see. It is what it is.

That is true. But what about people who are saying they don't like the movie over and over again? If you didn't like the movie great. I didn't like AntMan, but I didn't stick around for a week in the thread posting over and over again how juvenile the movie was.

Also, just because you don't like a movie does not mean it is not a good film. I see a lot of personal taste entering into the "this is a bad movie" when in fact, what you mean is, "I didn't like this movie." Just like if you like the movie doesn't mean it is a good film.

I think Snyder's film style is an evolution of movies that we've been seeing for some time now. It really lines up with modern comics style as well. Disjointed. Leaving the watcher (or reader) to fill in the blanks. It kind of reminds me of the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica where the space scenes were shot in a documentary style. And how many action movies now show really, really close shots during the action. Whether or not Snyder's style will become the norm is anyone's guess.

Theres no way youre gonna go to a Christopher Nolan production and not take something from the cinematic experience. But, it depends on the mood. You may go to a movie and expect to see good guys beating bad guys and some T&A thrown in for good measure, or you can go see a movie with alot of depth and a unique interpretation of what bad vs evil really is. Its not always black and white is it now?

i've got to go back to gold and stay there; i'm getting depressed reading the stuff the movie forum attracts. bye [and, i know: "good riddance" as far as the d.c. movie crowd is concerned--fair enough].

Soz.. Was typing too fast lol

Edited

Not strictly true - I like both and I guess that plenty of others do as well.

Agreed. Two different styles, but both enjoyable in their own way.

I'm not a DC reader. But don't let the door hit you on the way out! :hi:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-reacts-batman-v-852953

...some fans complained that too much of the story had been given away, especially as it related to seeing the two heroes stand alongside Wonder Woman against a common foe. Perhaps unsurprisingly, director Zack Snyder doesn't agree with that point of view...

Here's what Synder said back in January regarding the trailers:

"I have the benefit of seeing the movie," Snyder told MTV when asked about the complaints. "It’s cool that [fans] think it’s too much, and I appreciate people not wanting to know, but there’s plenty that they don’t know. There’s a lot of movie that’s not in the trailer."

So where was the "lot of movie" that wasn't in the trailer? Extra footage doesn't equate "lots of movie" that folks don't already know about. Sure you can say there's alot more fighting....but enough to justify the quote? How about those scenes of the Justice League.....yeah, a bit extra....but we knew they'd be there. How about more WW dialogue....nope we saw that in the trailers...and pretty much all the dialogue that Luthor has as well.

The only thing I didn't see in the trailers was Scoot McNairy.....and his nonsensical role.

BTW: what horsecrap he was feeding us back in 2014 regarding his role:

Scoot McNairy and his green CGI socks have resulted in fans reaching the conclusion that he will appear in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice as either The Flash, Metallo or possibly a wonded Metropolis citizen from Superman and General Zod's battle in Man of Steel. In a recent interview with Schmoes Know, they told the Argo star that they very much hope to see him as a member of the Justcue League in Zack Snyder's movie. His response? "Yeah well…I hope to be a part of the DC Universe for a while as well."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/scoot-mcnairy-hints-that-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-a106387

Well, maybe he was talking about the uncut version though I think at that point the film was film, it had already been rated, etc. This film had been pretty much on a shelf for awhile before release, remember it was pushed back,.

I will say this though, and even as not really a fan of his work, that's what he should come out and say as really the head of this corporate property with so much expectations. He's the "leader" of this thing as the director and he was asked a question and he's not going to throw people under the bus (like when Johns said Green Lantern was good for instance, that's what he's supposed to do). The other way is to be like Trank and disavow the film, which I think all of us would agree, mess movie or not, you don't do as a young director.

The release dates were changed from July 2015 to May 2016 to March 2016, correct?

Theres no way youre gonna go to a Christopher Nolan production and not take something from the cinematic experience. But, it depends on the mood. You may go to a movie and expect to see good guys beating bad guys and some T&A thrown in for good measure, or you can go see a movie with alot of depth and a unique interpretation of what good vs bad really is. Its not always black and white is it now?

So WB/DC knew how to play the paying off the critics game for the Batman movies but didnt for the Superman/Batman movie?

I think the writers were trying to create some interesting thoughts about good vs evil, how we contextualize it and so on, I just think it didn't achieve what it was striving to do. I did appreciate the effort, and it makes me hopeful for future DC movies. A universe that lives more in the grey area (vs the far simpler Marvel Universe) is veeeery appealing to me, and I think if done successfully would thrill both moviegoes and critics (regardless of getting paid)....

That is true. But what about people who are saying they don't like the movie over and over again? If you didn't like the movie great. I didn't like AntMan, but I didn't stick around for a week in the thread posting over and over again how juvenile the movie was.

Also, just because you don't like a movie does not mean it is not a good film. I see a lot of personal taste entering into the "this is a bad movie" when in fact, what you mean is, "I didn't like this movie." Just like if you like the movie doesn't mean it is a good film.

It's an interesting question, why are people reacting so strongly about this movie (and as you said feeling the need to reiterate their opinions over and over). All I can say personally (since I cant and wont talk for anyone else but me) is that the parts of the movie that were great to me made processing the parts of the movie that were not good movie-making to me that much harder. To get some things so right (in my eyes) and yet get other things so wrong (again to me) is more frustrating than a B list Marvel movie being silly and throwaway. Plus I think people are reacting strongly because (in theory) this movie is setting a foundation for the DCverse movies, so there's a lot invested (not talking about money) in this movie.

And yeah I agree some people are confusing things they dont like with things that arent good, but others are pointing out things they see as actual poor movie making decisions, or poor story writing decision, or poor acting choices. Again. You might think they were good decisions, and others might think they were bad decisions.One could make the same argument that people who say Superman vs Batman is a good movie are confusing "liking" a movie with a movie actually being cinematic and narratively good.

I love "The Rock" (the movie, though Dwayne is cool too), but I recognize that me thinking its a great fun watch does not make it a great movie. Its shallow, over acted and has plot holes you could clime thru and make it to San Francisco thru... I still love the movie, but if it got 33% on rotten tomatoes I'd say "Yep! Its a bad movie, but I loved it"..

No need to leave. Everyone has their own views.

And, remember, we will be out in full force if Civil War sucks. lol

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zack-snyder-reacts-batman-v-852953

...some fans complained that too much of the story had been given away, especially as it related to seeing the two heroes stand alongside Wonder Woman against a common foe. Perhaps unsurprisingly, director Zack Snyder doesn't agree with that point of view...

Here's what Synder said back in January regarding the trailers:

"I have the benefit of seeing the movie," Snyder told MTV when asked about the complaints. "It’s cool that [fans] think it’s too much, and I appreciate people not wanting to know, but there’s plenty that they don’t know. There’s a lot of movie that’s not in the trailer."

So where was the "lot of movie" that wasn't in the trailer? Extra footage doesn't equate "lots of movie" that folks don't already know about. Sure you can say there's alot more fighting....but enough to justify the quote? How about those scenes of the Justice League.....yeah, a bit extra....but we knew they'd be there. How about more WW dialogue....nope we saw that in the trailers...and pretty much all the dialogue that Luthor has as well.

The only thing I didn't see in the trailers was Scoot McNairy.....and his nonsensical role.

BTW: what horsecrap he was feeding us back in 2014 regarding his role:

Scoot McNairy and his green CGI socks have resulted in fans reaching the conclusion that he will appear in Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice as either The Flash, Metallo or possibly a wonded Metropolis citizen from Superman and General Zod's battle in Man of Steel. In a recent interview with Schmoes Know, they told the Argo star that they very much hope to see him as a member of the Justcue League in Zack Snyder's movie. His response? "Yeah well…I hope to be a part of the DC Universe for a while as well."

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/batman_vs_superman/scoot-mcnairy-hints-that-batman-v-superman-dawn-of-justice-a106387

Well, maybe he was talking about the uncut version though I think at that point the film was film, it had already been rated, etc. This film had been pretty much on a shelf for awhile before release, remember it was pushed back,.

I will say this though, and even as not really a fan of his work, that's what he should come out and say as really the head of this corporate property with so much expectations. He's the "leader" of this thing as the director and he was asked a question and he's not going to throw people under the bus (like when Johns said Green Lantern was good for instance, that's what he's supposed to do). The other way is to be like Trank and disavow the film, which I think all of us would agree, mess movie or not, you don't do as a young director.

The release dates were changed from July 2015 to May 2016 to March 2016, correct?

Yes. This movie was in the can and rated I think last fall or around that time.

Regarding opinions from people that don't think a film is an obvious all time masterpiece and their motivations in how long they seem to share them, well, I point to the Force Awakens thread where people who didn't like it wouldn't shut up about it, apparently because people dared to enjoy it. It's just what people do, it's the internet. And that movie is going to be more successful than this one, and way better reviewed.

That said, I don't think there is an issue with actual discussion and sharing of opinions but there is incredible hyperbole when we are talking about fans are paid off, have stock options they think are effected by a low traffic forum, and critics are paid by Disney but not by the other multibillion dollar corporation.