• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

My only gripe is how many times Superman saved Lois; 3 times if my count is correct, holy #$%^, couldn't Lois have pulled her own fat out of trouble at least once on her own? I think it would have been more helpful for her character if when she was trying to retrieve the kryptonite spear, she actually got it and got through the rubble herself and got the spear to one of our heroes by her own efforts instead of drowning and having to have Supes rescue her. They kept saying Lois was the key, this was a least a chance for her to contribute and shine in the story in a believable way and be a heroine in her own right instead of being the damsel in distress and a liability to Superman again, and again and again- sigh.

Why stop there? Why not thrust the spear into Doomsday herself?

That would have been awesome. WW would have witnessed it and it would have completely turned her on to see another female warrior. Lois will dump Clark and the two of them will scurry off for some HOT girl-on-girl action.

Hey, the movie is train wreck already so why not ? It couldn't hurt. :baiting:

I seriously thought Aquaman was going to show up to help somewhere in the final battle. For him only having a 15 second cameo, they sure went wild marketing the toys.

Unfortunately, the scene where Aquaman arrives in the harbour on top of a giant squid didn't make the final cut...

What was the drop off from Monday to Tuesday? This movie is going to FAIL

#DISNEYBUYWB

#SAVEBATMAN

Broke the record for Tuesday in March. (after breaking Monday's record too).

http://comicbook.com/2016/03/30/batman-v-superman-breaks-march-tuesday-box-office-record/

A March Tuesday record? That's horrible. lol

Saw it a second time yesterday, I do love this movie, I can't wait to see it again.

When Wonder Woman shows up it still gives me goose bumps.

It has its flaws and I could nit-pick but overall its such an entertaining and epic movie that it doesn't detract my experience.

Far more entertaining than the snooze-fest Age of Ultron (if I have to compare).

8/10 for solid awesomeness.

I am finally going to see it tomorrow. My expectations are tempered going in, but I am betting I fall more in line with this review.

Saw it a second time yesterday, I do love this movie, I can't wait to see it again.

It has its flaws and I could nit-pick but overall its such an entertaining and epic movie that it doesn't detract my experience.

Far more entertaining than the snooze-fest Age of Ultron (if I have to compare).

I am finally going to see it tomorrow. My expectations are tempered going in, but I am betting I fall more in line with this review.

i think that's the right attitude. its not a cinematic masterpiece, but its generally fun. You can pick it apart (if you want) after the movie, but while you're in there, if you're trying to enjoy it you probably will.

i think that's the right attitude. its not a cinematic masterpiece, but its generally fun. You can pick it apart (if you want) after the movie, but while you're in there, if you're trying to enjoy it you probably will.

I am fine with movies that make you pay attention and think while they set up the storylines for future films. That is what I hope to see in this one.

I don't need to be spoonfed it like they do in the Marvel movies. :sumo:

DEADLINE: ‘Batman V Superman’ Makes $46M Around The Globe On Easter Monday, Worldwide B.O. Now At $468.6M

Warner Bros. just reported Easter Monday numbers for Batman v Superman. A number of countries were on holiday yesterday. Together with $15M domestic, overseas raked in $31M on Monday, sending the day’s global total to $46M. Worldwide, BvS stands at $468.6M. WB has revised its weekend opening to $256.5m internationally putting worldwide at $422.6m.

In the global opening record books, BvS is the fourth highest behind Star Wars: The Force Awakens ($529M), Jurassic World ($524.9M), and Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 ($483.2M). Sources are keen for me to point out that those titles that BvS outflanks on the list; many of them had unique foreign rollouts, and unlike BvS didn’t have China during their first frames. JW, BvS and Spider-Man 3 included China in their day and date debuts.

With two indie movies going wide this weekend at the domestic B.O. –PureFlix’s God’s Not Dead 2 at 2,318 venues and Freestyle’s Meet the Blacks at 1,000 theaters– there’s some murmuring that BvS’ drop might not be as steep as we originally thought ( -65%). Word of mouth seems to be more upbeat than the CinemaScore and reviews.

TM7xPME.png

sWuF5sf.png

La41uGV.png

yeah but they are showing this worldwide ALL at once, yes EVERYWHERE AT ONCE....to stay ahead of critics and word of mouth. The real numbers will be in a month. Marvel movies open worldwide slowly but surely even Green Lantern didn't open this way . Star wars did though.

I just read Kevin Smith's take on this movie and its in line with most opinions. People are not haters or "critics" if they didn't enjoy a movie they pay to see. It is what it is.

yeah but they are showing this worldwide ALL at once, yes EVERYWHERE AT ONCE....to stay ahead of critics and word of mouth. The real numbers will be in a month. Marvel movies open worldwide slowly but surely even Green Lantern didn't open this way . Star wars did though.

I just read Kevin Smith's take on this movie and its in line with most opinions. People are not haters or "critics" if they didn't enjoy a movie they pay to see. It is what it is.

I think that we will see more movies in the future open worldwide in all markets. There are too many hero/sci-fi/big budget movies coming out now to do the delayed releases. The longer you are the big movie in all markets the better your returns will be.

My review. And there are a TON of spoilers, so if you don't want to know, don't click....

But the title of my review says it all:

If you hate BVS: Dawn of Justice, you're wrong.

Really, i just don't understand the critics hostility toward this movie. Then again, this is 'merica, and we don't really have FILM critics, as much as movie critics, but hey, even the UK's Sight & Sound wasn't much impressed.

I can't figure out why.

Personally, I followed the story from the beginning...ok, they're showing us the death of Batman's parent's, reminding us he's human and motivated by REVENGE - an important lesson here - and then we later see his building being destroyed and a friend killed and he's angry at whoever did it (he can't necessarily SEE it at the time - once again, an important thing to notice....

We ASSUME he already knows it's Superman, because of how it was marketed, BUT, if you pay close attention....

In the next scene, Supes saves Lois Lane in the Middle East, BUT, once again if you're paying attention... you'll notice some kind of double cross happens out front while the bad guy has her inside... and you SHOULD think....Hmmm… something's amiss here, what was it?

Next, we see Senate hearings where they're trying to say Superman is to blame for some deaths in the middle east where he saved Lois, and we know that isn't true, so...already we see someone is manipulating events… but who? Holly Hunter? Lex, who we know is coming up at some point, and who i assumed was behind it.

Why critics so lost at this point in the movie?

Meanwhile, Batman’s PTSD is kicking into high gear and he is taking it out on every criminal in sight - remember, he is motivated by REVENGE, NOT by doing what is RIGHT, and Alfred even warns him, “That’s how it starts. The fever, the rage, the feeling of powerlessness that turns good men….cruel.”

We see Clark noticing Batman on the news, which puts a bee in his bonnet…I mean think about it. Much is made about Ma Kent telling him “You don’t owe this world anything”, but what she REALLY says is “Be their hero Clark. Be their angel, be their monument, be anything they need you to be… or be none of it. You don’t owe this world anything. You never did.” Which MEANS: Do it or DON’T do it, but if you DO, do it for the RIGHT reasons. Do it because you WANT to. Some are born to be hero’s and some aren’t, don’t ever feel you HAVE to. Do it because it’s YOU.

Dang, they should’ve let me write that part.

But anyway, Clark sees Batman OVER-doing it, when HE, as the strongest being on the planet, has to actually HOLD BACK, and even when he saves someone is getting criticized in Senate hearings…. which of course leads us to Lex making shady dealings with government officials and then… well, then if you’re any kind of comic book reader, and honestly, I’ve probably read LESS Superman and Batman comics than almost anyone on this forum, but, DUH, Lex Luthor has manipulated EVERY MOVE IN THIS MOVIE THUS FAR, in order to get BATMAN to FIGHT SUPERMAN. (They even give us a hint when Lex tells Bruce, “You should NOT want to pick a fight with this guy” (Clark).

Ok, so, not exactly the most original idea, I know, but what made this movie for me was the underlying theme of good vs evil, revenge vs duty, love vs hate… it’s so much a part of what’s here, and yet, I really haven’t seen anyone bring it up. Even Wonder Woman, yes she’s hot, and she’s BAD AZZ, but she gets drawn into it from a sense of duty and… LOVE. You know why she wanted that picture back, right? That’s Chris Pine next to her in the photo… he plays Steve Trevor in the WW movie.

Honestly, I tend to be an on the move kinda guy, and sitting in a theater for 2 1/2 to 3 hours is tough for me. I'll be honest, even the best Batman movie, the one where Heath Ledger (RIP) played the Joker... I got up to go to the restroom during the movie, and had no problem taking my time to wash my hands extra carefully and notice some of the coming attraction posters on my way back in, but for this movie I was engrossed all the way through.

It’s NOT a Marvel movie. Zack Snyder was trying to make a FILM. He’s already made the best superhero FILM of all (Watchmen) and I honestly believe, that critics will eventually come around on this movie and see it for what it is. An attempt to do a real superhero FILM. It’s taking the themes of duty and honor and loyalty and LOVE, and weaving them into a (maybe not so complex of a plot) involving superheroes. And I, personally think it worked.

And when it got to the fight scenes…. I’m sorry Marvel guys (and really I’M a Marvel guy), no one films superhero's beating the out of each other like Zack Snyder. Those battle scenes between Batman/Superman, Superman/Doomsday and all 3 of them vs Doomsday were BRUTAL and FUN. And I know some people didn’t like the idea of the DOS being shoehorned into the movie or whatever, but seriously, I ain’t sitting’ through no 2 1/2 hour DOS movie. It fit perfectly.

And it taught Bruce a lesson. Here was an ALIEN, willing to risk it all to either save his MOM or the WORLD, it didn’t matter which, it what heroes DO…. for no other reason than BECAUSE.

He’s a HERO. And that’s what hero’s do.

Not for revenge, not for glory, not for any reason other than BECAUSE.

Evil is the absence of good, but GOOD is more than the absence of evil. It takes an additional effort. And that’s what heroes are.

At the end, Diane says “I walked away from man a century ago, because of the horrors of man.” and Bruce says, “Man is still good. We break things, tear them down, but we can rebuild. We can be better, we have to be.”

BRUCE says that!

Ok, a few other notes: Anyone notice the mother box in the Cyborg clip? Very cool.

Where the heck is Green Lantern?

Superman + Eye Beams = very cool. Marvel, Vision, please take note.

Robin’s costume…. oh man….

okay for starters i haven't seen this movie... and spoilers don't bother me... i've been following the up and down reviews... but i have to say very well done Chuck thank you!

I think there may be some misunderstanding between the two factions where one of the groups had problems with the first half of the movie and the other half did not. I'd just like to clarify my position for those that liked the first half.

I didn't particularly care for the first half of the movie. The problems I had with it had nothing to do with 'being confused' or 'not understanding' the plot points or 'needing to be spoonfed'. I understood what was happening and why for the most part (and the parts I did not understand, I could infer).

No, the problem I had with it was that it felt very disjointed and awkward. I didn't count them, but it felt like there were a million 30 second scenes and they just kept jumping from one to the other at a rapid-fire pace. I didn't find it all that confusing, I found it annoying. I thought that the first half could have been paced a lot better and would have flowed a lot more smoothly if it had been edited better.

Again though, I'm sure the extended version will help with this problem. If that was addressed, I'd probably end up loving the movie much like I did with the extended Watchmen cut.

I think there may be some misunderstanding between the two factions where one of the groups had problems with the first half of the movie and the other half did not. I'd just like to clarify my position for those that liked the first half.

I didn't particularly care for the first half of the movie. The problems I had with it had nothing to do with 'being confused' or 'not understanding' the plot points or 'needing to be spoonfed'. I understood what was happening and why for the most part (and the parts I did not understand, I could infer).

No, the problem I had with it was that it felt very disjointed and awkward. I didn't count them, but it felt like there were a million 30 second scenes and they just kept jumping from one to the other at a rapid-fire pace. I didn't find it all that confusing, I found it annoying. I thought that the first half could have been paced a lot better and would have flowed a lot more smoothly if it had been edited better.

Again though, I'm sure the extended version will help with this problem. If that was addressed, I'd probably end up loving the movie much like I did with the extended Watchmen cut.

I think this is a problem a lot of people had, you couldn't help but feel there was a better movie in there

I noted a few days back how DC was handling this different than traditional movies - releasing in all markets except for two small regions.

It looks like Boxofficemojo already started a showdown between four movies.

MPzlUft.png

Although it shows 100% opening worldwide (2 markets are not open yet), I do notice Batman v Superman opened in less theaters than the other movies. I wonder why that is?

As far as Kevin Smith's review, it depends on which one you read. He went to see the movie twice. The first time he was very negative about the film. The second time...

Kevin Smith Went To See Batman v Superman and An Actual Fight Broke Out

When Kevin Smith went to see Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice for the second time, the violence carried over off the big screen and into the actual theater.

"Last night, Jay Mewes [and I] went to see Batman v Superman (my 2nd time, his 1st)," Smith wrote in a facebook post. "After big brawl on screen, an actual fight broke out in the movie theater."

The fight apparently ended the screening, which Smith said was a shame, as he "was digging the movie more on a second viewing." Smith previously criticized the movie, saying that while it was big on spectacle, it "didn't really have a heart."

The reporting sites have focused on his first review, where his feedback matched what critics have noted about the film. Not his second review, which only covers a portion of the movie because of the theater fight (and was more positive about the film).

Sorry to disappoint some folks, I have to proclaim the movie is great. :acclaim:

I can't really say more (shrug)

Somebody spent $200 million so I could devour popcorn and see my favorite superheroes batting it out on the big screen.

So what's to complain about? The $11.50 it cost me? Put it on my tab . . .

Sorry to disappoint some folks, I have to proclaim the movie is great. :acclaim:

Somebody spent $200 million so I could devour popcorn and see my favorite superheroes batting it out on the big screen.

Well said :applause:

He'll be banned within the day!

:baiting:

He'll be banned within the day!

:baiting:

All the people that normally would are hate-watching BvS right now...