• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

Based on weekend estimates, Batman v Superman has now passed Man of Steel's Worldwide Box Office (adjusted for 2016 USD).

xvvAT5e.png

Sd5OcDq.png

I see two important stories here.

Will it get to that special 1 billion worldwide club?

Will it beat Deadpool both domestically and worldwide?

So last night I saw Star Worse: TFA for the 2nd time.

Boy that movie sucked. Horrible!

This was a cheap (well, expensively cheap) attempt to hijack a classic film (A New Hope) and make it popular with all the current trends.. Female empowerment, Hunger Games, racial equality.. yadda yadaa...

Not that it bothers me but.. It was just sooooo poorly executed. The acting was HORRIBLE.. Kylo Ren, the main villain in the movie was as scary as Lord Dark Helmet.. The story felt rushed in the end.. It was all just too bad.

So why am I posting this in this thread?

The budget for this movie was more or less the same as BvS.. The hype was MUCH bigger... The toys, merch, the comic, everything was set up for this BIGGER THAN LIFE epic movie.

And last, the movie critics went CRAZY on this one.. 90% positive on RT

You know... When you combine all that together, and youre going to see THE movie everybodys talking about and positively reviewing, youd go into the theater and leave happy, thinking you just saw a great movie.

But now, that the smoke cleared and the hype is gone. I went to see it again and thought to myself... Wow, thats just the worst SW movie ever made.

I have no doubt in my mind that critics are biased, and its all politics. Its demonstrated well on SWTFA, and is MUCH MORE PRONOUNCED with BvS.

Wait till everyones done raping BvS.. And see it again with a clear mind. You know.. When this thread slowly dies.. Thats when youll get the most honest reaction to this film. Positive or Negative

My opinion. And mine only.

I totally agree with this thinking.

This was a cheap (well, expensively cheap) attempt to hijack a classic film (A New Hope) and make it popular with all the current trends.. Female empowerment, Hunger Games, racial equality.. yadda yadaa...

Not that it bothers me but.. It was just sooooo poorly executed. The acting was HORRIBLE.. Kylo Ren, the main villain in the movie was as scary as Lord Dark Helmet.. The story felt rushed in the end.. It was all just too bad.

The budget for this movie was more or less the same as BvS.. The hype was MUCH bigger... The toys, merch, the comic, everything was set up for this BIGGER THAN LIFE epic movie.

You know... When you combine all that together, and youre going to see THE movie everybodys talking about and positively reviewing, youd go into the theater and leave happy, thinking you just saw a great movie.

But now, that the smoke cleared and the hype is gone. I went to see it again and thought to myself... Wow, thats just the worst SW movie ever made.

I have no doubt in my mind that critics are biased, and its all politics. Its demonstrated well on SWTFA, and is MUCH MORE PRONOUNCED with BvS.

Wait till everyones done raping BvS.. And see it again with a clear mind. You know.. When this thread slowly dies.. Thats when youll get the most honest reaction to this film. Positive or Negative

I'm just curious as to why you went a second time to Star Wars if it was so bad. (shrug)

Answer highlighted

Let me get this straight SW: TFA you consider the worst SW movie of all time.

That means two things then you must have #1 never seen the SW prequels and #2 you must consider BvS the worst movie of all time then correct?

simple response gets a simple reply:

#1 Yes

and

#2 No

I'm just curious as to why you went a second time to Star Wars if it was so bad. (shrug)

Answer highlighted

That means two things then you must have #1 never seen the SW prequels and #2 you must consider BvS the worst movie of all time then correct?

#1 Yes

and

#2 No

So can SW: TFA really be the worst SW movie of all time if you have not seen the prequels? Maybe a more correct statement is, "I think SW: TFA is the worst SW movie that I have ever seen."

Edited by kinzebac

Answer highlighted

#1 Yes

and

#2 No

So can SW: TFA really be the worst SW movie of all time if you have not seen the prequels? Maybe a more correct statement is, "I think SW: TFA is the worst SW movie that I have ever seen."

Do I CONSTANTLY have to explain my replies to you.

#1 - YES I SAW THE PREQUELS

jeez

I think it will end up beating Deadpool, both domestically and worldwide ($355 / $755 so far), but it has an advantage in that Deadpool didn't have China.

Still it's notable that Deadpool made more in its second weekend than Batman v. Superman despite having a first weekend haul more than $30 million less.

At this point, it's a stretch to see Batman v. Superman breaking $400 million domestic total, which means:

1) a worse showing than Iron Man III, and

2) It's already made 2/3s of its total projected U.S. haul

Answer highlighted

#1 Yes

and

#2 No

jeez

Sorry, you answered yes to #1 - never seeing the prequels. I must have misinterpreted it. I won't ask anymore about it.

The difference between critical and fan ratings has been pointed out a few times...

I would think it's typical for movies like this to start out with more fan appeal, and then the number drop as the audiences go from being the hardcore 1st weekend fans to the general movie going public who might be less forgiving of the movie (i.e. dont have the benefit of a long love and history with the characters).

Right now it's at 29% critics, 71% fans....I thought it was a higher fan number after last weekend, anyone remember?

I think it was at 72 or 73% last weekend.

The difference between critical and fan ratings has been pointed out a few times...

I would think it's typical for movies like this to start out with more fan appeal, and then the number drop as the audiences go from being the hardcore 1st weekend fans to the general movie going public who might be less forgiving of the movie (i.e. dont have the benefit of a long love and history with the characters).

Right now it's at 29% critics, 71% fans....I thought it was a higher fan number after last weekend, anyone remember?

I think you are right.

Rotten Tomatoes doesn't maintain some trending charts on those stats.

Based on weekend estimates, Batman v Superman has now passed Man of Steel's Worldwide Box Office (adjusted for 2016 USD).

xvvAT5e.png

Sd5OcDq.png

man and here i was thinking it was going to pass man of steel next week. at least it's now on it's way to $1 Billion but i don't think it'll pass any of the last two Dark Knight movies worldwide.

I think you are right.

I think the high water mark for fans on RT was 85% on Wednesday or Thursday last week. It was 73% by the end of the weekend. I also agree that the fan that has been awaiting the movie for years is much more likely to be forgiving, and the general audience is more likely to listen to critics and be harsher on the film. So the drop makes sense.

Edited by drotto

I think you are right.

I think the high water mark for fans on RT was 85% on Wednesday or Thursday last week. It was 73% by the end of the weekend. I also agree that the fan that has been awaiting the movie for years is much more likely to be forgiving, and the general audience is more likely to listen to critics and be harsher on the film. So the drop makes sense.

I'd throw out there that the general audience probably doesn't listen to critics either, but they listened to their more hardcore friends who saw it opening week who told them what they thought of it. Word of mouth.

Well, I did my part for the 2nd week. :) Saturday I was telling a friend all about BvS, how much I enjoyed it. I'm sure I was going on and on...

Saturday night he called from a theater. He was taking his wife, son, daughter and her boyfriend.

I crossed my fingers they would all like it. :wishluck: Taking an entire family is a lot of money.

...And I got a call today about how much they enjoyed themselves. :applause:

To me it's the 1st time Batman and Superman have been played with zero cheeziness. Clark Kent isn't some bumbling buffoon, there's no bat-nipples or neon hockey sticks. Finally, rich complex characters in an unfolding adult storyline, who happen to be Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

'Bout damn time. (thumbs u

I think you are right.

I'd throw out there that the general audience probably doesn't listen to critics either, but they listened to their more hardcore friends who saw it opening week who told them what they thought of it listen to critics. Word of mouth.

Fixed

Answer highlighted

#1 Yes

and

#2 No

jeez

You are smoking crack if you think the prequels were better than TFA.

Edited by NewWorldOrder

Well, I did my part for the 2nd week. :) Saturday I was telling a friend all about BvS, how much I enjoyed it. I'm sure I was going on and on...

Saturday night he called from a theater. He was taking his wife, son, daughter and her boyfriend.

I crossed my fingers they would all like it. :wishluck: Taking an entire family is a lot of money.

...And I got a call today about how much they enjoyed themselves. :applause:

To me it's the 1st time Batman and Superman have been played with zero cheeziness. Clark Kent isn't some bumbling buffoon, there's no bat-nipples or neon hockey sticks. Finally, rich complex characters in an unfolding adult storyline, who happen to be Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman.

'Bout damn time. (thumbs u

I thought that Affleck was a wonderful Batman.

I was a little stunned at the mass murder part, but it was not nearly as bad as Ultron and I even enjoyed that movie.

My only criticism was that WW should have thrown the spear. Then again, I had forgotten that Supes was killed by Doomsday.

Just saw it, was filled with trepidation due to reviews but loved it. Thought it was very very well done, decent characters, WW was great, Ben A did a good job; costumes worked well, Cavill was jacked up.

Overall was very happy