• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

BATMAN V SUPERMAN's Dead Robin Identity Possibly Revealed

Reddit user Vizgauss spotted a post on Instagram from the official Batman V Superman account that featured the quote "Twenty years in Gotham, how many good guys are left?" with the shot we've all seen showing Robin's costume in the case with Bruce looking on.

That in itself is nothing new, but they posted that yesterday, April 27th.

gFwUe8S.jpg

That is the same date that Jason originally died in the comics, which was April 27th, 1985. Vizgauss doesn't think it is a coincidence, but others just think it could be them posting a tribute to the fallen Robin, without them actually saying their Robin is Jason Todd.

13055600-1010626935653358-6017086524044316366-n-180794.jpg

R.I.P.

:(

This Tuesday's numbers mark day 33 of its release:

Batman v. Superman, day 33 (Tuesday): $188 per theater, at 3,066 theaters:

$577,298 domestic take for the day.

Batman Begins, Day 35 (Tuesday): $298 per theater, at 2,810 theaters:

$836,358 domestic take for the day.

You may be comparing things that cannot be compared.

Batman Begins:

- Release Date: 15 June 2005 (USA)

By Day 33 (July 17th), a few countries had recently had their first release of Batman Begins. And though they are little countries, they contributed to $4.24 MM to the worldwide total.

Czech Republic: 14 July 2005 ($221,135)

Hungary: 14 July 2005 ($266,303)

Lebanon: 14 July 2005 ($98,849)

Slovakia: 14 July 2005 ($53,004)

Finland: 15 July 2005 ($1,276,287)

Norway: 15 July 2005 ($2,272,108)

TOTAL BOX OFFICE CONTRIBUTION: $4.24 MM

Remember, Batman v Superman frontloaded its release schedule. And that is just Batman Begins I quickly checked and determined you cannot compare the two.

:foryou:

Umm...the totals I posted above are tracking _domestic_ totals only; international is irrelevant to all of the numbers I posted above.

You're right, they can't be directly compared because we haven't adjusted everything for inflation to 2016 dollars, which would make BvS's numbers look even worse.

On the 5th Tuesday of release, it was also outperformed by Spider-Man (2002), to say nothing of Deadpool's outdoing it by 100%.

Even worse? The 2005 Fantastic Four movie almost did as well as BvS pre-inflation ($572,194 domestic daily take), and that was 11 years ago, at 20% fewer theaters.

Batman Begins:

By Day 33 (July 17th), a few countries had recently had their first release of Batman Begins. And though they are little countries, they contributed to $4.24 MM to the worldwide total.

Remember, Batman v Superman frontloaded its release schedule. And that is just Batman Begins I quickly checked and determined you cannot compare the two.

Umm...the totals I posted above are tracking _domestic_ totals only; international is irrelevant to all of the numbers I posted above.

You're right, they can't be directly compared because we haven't adjusted everything for inflation to 2016 dollars, which would make BvS's numbers look even worse.

On the 5th Tuesday of release, it was also outperformed by Spider-Man (2002), to say nothing of Deadpool's outdoing it by 100%.

Even worse? The 2005 Fantastic Four movie almost did as well as BvS pre-inflation ($572,194 domestic daily take), and that was 11 years ago, at 20% fewer theaters.

And yet, despite all this, it is still going to finish in the top 10 superhero movies domestically.

I'm sure Warner Bros. is crying all the way to the bank.

Edited by rjrjr

Umm...since you like to use 'Umm' quite often...why are we limiting this to just the domestic market on an international movie? Umm.

By the way...why do you post 'umm' rather than have a discussion?

The good thing is we have 2016 adjusted inflation numbers. Which then clearly shows Batman v Superman is not as horribly placed as you continue to assume.

BqwU17P.png

Until the next article...

:baiting:

And yet, despite all this, it is still going to finish in the top 10 superhero movies domestically.

You sure about that?

Inflation-adjusted it won't even come close.

It's currently sitting at # 19 on the chart.

It'll be lucky to unseat Guardians of the Galaxy, which is currently sitting at # 15 ($353 million domestic in 2016 dollars).

To break the top 10 in terms of numbers of tickets sold it would have to do well over $400 million domestic (Iron Man # 3 is the current # 10 at $419 million).

Source: http://bit.ly/23aIo2e

You sure about that?

Inflation-adjusted it won't even come close.

It's currently sitting at # 19 on the chart.

It'll be lucky to unseat Guardians of the Galaxy, which is currently sitting at # 15 ($353 million domestic in 2016 dollars).

To break the top 10 in terms of numbers of tickets sold it would have to do well over $400 million domestic (Iron Man # 3 is the current # 10 at $419 million).

Source: http://bit.ly/23aIo2e

And Warner Bros. continues to cry while they count their revenue from this movie.

More importantly...

BATMAN V SUPERMAN's Dead Robin Identity Possibly Revealed

Reddit user Vizgauss spotted a post on Instagram from the official Batman V Superman account that featured the quote "Twenty years in Gotham, how many good guys are left?" with the shot we've all seen showing Robin's costume in the case with Bruce looking on.

That in itself is nothing new, but they posted that yesterday, April 27th.

gFwUe8S.jpg

That is the same date that Jason originally died in the comics, which was April 27th, 1985. Vizgauss doesn't think it is a coincidence, but others just think it could be them posting a tribute to the fallen Robin, without them actually saying their Robin is Jason Todd.

13055600-1010626935653358-6017086524044316366-n-180794.jpg

R.I.P.

:(

If this turns out to be true, that would be impressive DC/Warner was that loyal to a story event it made sure to recognize it on the same day it happened.

I've been focusing on domestic numbers for two reasons.

1) As noted pages back, it's hard to compare international numbers due to the staggered international release dates and the relative explosion in the international market over the last five years.

2) The Motley Fool article notes (correctly) that studios get a much larger percentage of the gross from domestic receipts than international ones.

And the "umm..." was an honest expression of confusion to your last response, since I clearly noted the numbers posted were domestic only (so...Apples to Apples).

For a movie and storyline as epic as Batman v. Superman to do worse domestically than even Batman Forever did ($363 million after inflation) is unconscionable.

And it's because Snyder delivered us a mediocre, needlessly confusing, & boring film.

Batman Begins:

I have no doubt this is how this movie was pitched to investors.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the billionaires club. Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises each did $1B worldwide. For this movie, we are going to unleash a marketing campaign like the world has never seen. We are going to make the movie using the two biggest comic icons ever, BATMAN v SUPERMAN. Not only that, we're going to make Oscar winner BEN AFFLECK our Batman, he is a superstar that everyone knows. And to an already all star support cast, we will add Jeremy Irons AND Jesse Eisenberg. Not only that, for the first time ever on the big screen, we are going to portray WONDER WOMAN. AND this movie will be the cornerstone of our the Justice League world we are building.

What are our expected revenues? Well funny you should ask. Since both DK and DKR made noticeably more than $1B+, and the world market is much more developed now than it has been in the past, and Marvel has been hitting over $1B with their team-up movies, we expect to make a respectable $800M, and we will consider anything over 25% on Rotten Tomatoes a success."

That was Zack Snyder's pitch verbatim. So all the investors must be super happy they invested in this movie vs Deadpool or Captain America or Zootopia.

The investors were uber rich to begin with, and will be regardless of how these movies do. But in movies and a million other industries, its not always about turning profits, a lot of times its JUST as important if not MORE important to meet expectations. So to suggest that the bosses or investors are 'happy' about the outcome seems either disingenuous or naïve.

I've been focusing on domestic numbers for two reasons.

1) As noted pages back, it's hard to compare international numbers due to the staggered international release dates and the relative explosion in the international market over the last five years.

2) The Motley Fool article notes (correctly) that studios get a much larger percentage of the gross from domestic receipts than international ones.

And the "umm..." was an honest expression of confusion to your last response, since I clearly noted the numbers posted were domestic only (so...Apples to Apples).

For a movie and storyline as epic as Batman v. Superman to do worse domestically than even Batman Forever did ($363 million after inflation) is unconscionable.

And it's because Snyder delivered us a mediocre, needlessly confusing, & boring film.

Did you also figure into your numbers that the studios get a higher percentage of a movies revenue in the first few weeks a movie is in release than in the later weeks? Most movie studios would love for their movies to be front loaded (and they try hard to make sure they are) because they get a larger percentage of the money.

But you have posted that a number of times now. And been confused in your comparisons.

So if you didn't enjoy it, why keep coming back to a thread just to attempt to build a picture it is a financial failure - to pay Snyder back? He may or may not happen across this thread.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the billionaires club. Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises each did $1B worldwide. For this movie, we are going to unleash a marketing campaign like the world has never seen. We are going to make the movie using the two biggest comic icons ever, BATMAN v SUPERMAN. Not only that, we're going to make Oscar winner BEN AFFLECK our Batman, he is a superstar that everyone knows. And to an already all star support cast, we will add Jeremy Irons AND Jesse Eisenberg. Not only that, for the first time ever on the big screen, we are going to portray WONDER WOMAN. AND this movie will be the cornerstone of our the Justice League world we are building.

What are our expected revenues? Well funny you should ask. Since both DK and DKR made noticeably more than $1B+, and the world market is much more developed now than it has been in the past, and Marvel has been hitting over $1B with their team-up movies, we expect to make a respectable $800M, and we will consider anything over 25% on Rotten Tomatoes a success."

That was Zack Snyder's pitch verbatim. So all the investors must be super happy they invested in this movie vs Deadpool or Captain America or Zootopia.

The investors were uber rich to begin with, and will be regardless of how these movies do. But in movies and a million other industries, its not always about turning profits, a lot of times its JUST as important if not MORE important to meet expectations. So to suggest that the bosses or investors are 'happy' about the outcome seems either disingenuous or naïve.

So now we are making up the details of what and wasn't pitched? I've never seen you do that before.

Batman Begins:

they're crying but it ain't to the bank. everyone that did a thorough analysis of the film's breakeven for theatrical release put it at around $925MM. yes, it'll make $ on ancillary and product placement but this is no home run, maybe a single or double and the negative goodwill mitigates that.

Batman Begins:

they're crying but it ain't to the bank. everyone that did a thorough analysis of the film's breakeven for theatrical release put it at around $925MM. yes, it'll make $ on ancillary and product placement but this is no home run, maybe a single or double and the negative goodwill mitigates that.

Like I said, they are crying over all that money! I wouldn't feel too bad for them though. They'll make even more on the next outing.

Edited by rjrjr

Batman Begins:

Like I said, they are crying over all that money!

yes, i'm sure they are crying over the $410MM they spent to launch this critical dud.

So now we are making up the details of what and wasn't pitched? I've never seen you do that before.

I think I'm suggesting the opposite. That thinking WB execs are happy just because they turned a profit is to believe that pitch took place, that they expected to make somewhere between 800-900M when all those other movies made $1B plus, and that the investors were told that AND were SOLD on that ahead of time. I personally don't believe that, I believe the expectations HAD to be bigger than that.

And even though I mostly liked the movie (actually love love loved more than I hate hate hated though a lot of both) and don't think its an abject failure, I believe most bosses and investors find the outcome to be 'acceptable' vs 'a resounding success' as some have suggested.

I was hoping the tone of my 'pitch' would be taken as the obvious sarcasm that was intended. I really am in the favorable middle on this movie, and I can see how people like it or even love it, and I can see why people hate it. But when it comes to numbers, I can't see how anyone can believe it didn't perform well below expectations, even though expectations haven't been released, I can't think of a single reason they would have to think they could NOT go over $1B when they were greenlighting this movie and selling it to investors.

Batman Begins:

Like I said, they are crying over all that money!

yes, i'm sure they are crying over the $410MM they spent to launch this critical dud.

I hadn't realized you were so concerned about the rich studio executives of Warner Bros. I think they can live with the money they made.

Edited by rjrjr