• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

More importantly...

BATMAN V SUPERMAN's Dead Robin Identity Possibly Revealed

Reddit user Vizgauss spotted a post on Instagram from the official Batman V Superman account that featured the quote "Twenty years in Gotham, how many good guys are left?" with the shot we've all seen showing Robin's costume in the case with Bruce looking on.

That in itself is nothing new, but they posted that yesterday, April 27th.

gFwUe8S.jpg

That is the same date that Jason originally died in the comics, which was April 27th, 1985. Vizgauss doesn't think it is a coincidence, but others just think it could be them posting a tribute to the fallen Robin, without them actually saying their Robin is Jason Todd.

13055600-1010626935653358-6017086524044316366-n-180794.jpg

R.I.P.

:(

If this turns out to be true, that would be impressive DC/Warner was that loyal to a story event it made sure to recognize it on the same day it happened.

I think that's Snyder's doing more so than DC/Warner. Say what you will about him, but he's a fanboy at heart (to a fault sometimes).

That is a good point. This could be part of what he requested of marketing to keep the stories front and center.

Did I miss something?

How does Supes know that Batman was Bruce Wayne?

He knows from Luthor's party where he over-hears (super hearing) Bruce Wayne in communication with Alfred.

And I think (could be wrong) that Superman calls his mom "Martha" because of his secret identity, or at least as a layer of anonymity for his mom. "Martha" is who she is in life, and she's a kidnap victim of Luthor. Lois is the one who spills the beans, connecting the dot for Bruce to what he's asking of him: PLEASE, please go save her.

You know, this is kinda spoon-feeding it. But I'll lay it out anyway. It was a surprise in the theater (for me anyway). The build up and going it we thought we would be cheering for Batman during the fight. He's a human and so are we. Kick his alien butt...

But during the actual fight Bruce is the alien, completely detached from his humanity. He's lost it at that point. Superman is us, asking for understanding, begging for aid, needing a friend, someone to step up on our behalf.

It was a nice twist from the previews.

:facepalm: Fellini and Bergman must be spinning in their graves as their legacy of film relevance is reduced to a discussion Zack's deeper meanings in BvS.

Did I miss something?

He knows from Luthor's party where he over-hears (super hearing) Bruce Wayne in communication with Alfred.

And I think (could be wrong) that Superman calls his mom "Martha" because of his secret identity, or at least as a layer of anonymity for his mom. "Martha" is who she is in life, and she's a kidnap victim of Luthor. Lois is the one who spills the beans, connecting the dot for Bruce to what he's asking of him: PLEASE, please go save her.

You know, this is kinda spoon-feeding it. But I'll lay it out anyway. It was a surprise in the theater (for me anyway). The build up and going it we thought we would be cheering for Batman during the fight. He's a human and so are we. Kick his alien butt...

But during the actual fight Bruce is the alien, completely detached from his humanity. He's lost it at that point. Superman is us, asking for understanding, begging for aid, needing a friend, someone to step up on our behalf.

:facepalm: Fellini and Bergman must be spinning in their graves as their legacy of film relevance is reduced to a discussion Zack's deeper meanings in BvS.

You might be confusing a comic book movie chatboard with an elitist filmschool soiree. :gossip:

Some posters have even seen the movie. :baiting::D

Did I miss something?

You might be confusing a comic book movie chatboard with an elitist filmschool soiree. :gossip:

Or an attempt at it. :baiting:

Some posters have even seen the movie. :baiting::D

I'm sure some posters have had root canals too. Your point? ;)

I'm amazed how much importance this movie has given a certain board member. it's all he seems to do, what would he post about if this movie wasn't around to kick in the teeth

Has BvS had any teeth since the first weekend's BO? groucho.gif

:sorry: Doesn't this beat the heck out of discussing Newtonian physics in General? ;)

Edited by DavidMerryweather

This Tuesday's numbers mark day 33 of its release:

Batman v. Superman, day 33 (Tuesday): $188 per theater, at 3,066 theaters:

$577,298 domestic take for the day.

Batman Begins, Day 35 (Tuesday): $298 per theater, at 2,810 theaters:

$836,358 domestic take for the day.

You may be comparing things that cannot be compared.

Batman Begins:

- Release Date: 15 June 2005 (USA)

By Day 33 (July 17th), a few countries had recently had their first release of Batman Begins. And though they are little countries, they contributed to $4.24 MM to the worldwide total.

Czech Republic: 14 July 2005 ($221,135)

Hungary: 14 July 2005 ($266,303)

Lebanon: 14 July 2005 ($98,849)

Slovakia: 14 July 2005 ($53,004)

Finland: 15 July 2005 ($1,276,287)

Norway: 15 July 2005 ($2,272,108)

TOTAL BOX OFFICE CONTRIBUTION: $4.24 MM

Remember, Batman v Superman frontloaded its release schedule. And that is just Batman Begins I quickly checked and determined you cannot compare the two.

:foryou:

Umm...the totals I posted above are tracking _domestic_ totals only; international is irrelevant to all of the numbers I posted above.

You're right, they can't be directly compared because we haven't adjusted everything for inflation to 2016 dollars, which would make BvS's numbers look even worse.

On the 5th Tuesday of release, it was also outperformed by Spider-Man (2002), to say nothing of Deadpool's outdoing it by 100%.

Even worse? The 2005 Fantastic Four movie almost did as well as BvS pre-inflation ($572,194 domestic daily take), and that was 11 years ago, at 20% fewer theaters.

And yet, despite all this, it is still going to finish in the top 10 superhero movies domestically.

I'm sure Warner Bros. is crying all the way to the bank.

I have no doubt this is how this movie was pitched to investors.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the billionaires club. Dark Knight and Dark Knight Rises each did $1B worldwide. For this movie, we are going to unleash a marketing campaign like the world has never seen. We are going to make the movie using the two biggest comic icons ever, BATMAN v SUPERMAN. Not only that, we're going to make Oscar winner BEN AFFLECK our Batman, he is a superstar that everyone knows. And to an already all star support cast, we will add Jeremy Irons AND Jesse Eisenberg. Not only that, for the first time ever on the big screen, we are going to portray WONDER WOMAN. AND this movie will be the cornerstone of our the Justice League world we are building.

What are our expected revenues? Well funny you should ask. Since both DK and DKR made noticeably more than $1B+, and the world market is much more developed now than it has been in the past, and Marvel has been hitting over $1B with their team-up movies, we expect to make a respectable $800M, and we will consider anything over 25% on Rotten Tomatoes a success."

That was Zack Snyder's pitch verbatim. So all the investors must be super happy they invested in this movie vs Deadpool or Captain America or Zootopia.

The investors were uber rich to begin with, and will be regardless of how these movies do. But in movies and a million other industries, its not always about turning profits, a lot of times its JUST as important if not MORE important to meet expectations. So to suggest that the bosses or investors are 'happy' about the outcome seems either disingenuous or naïve.

:roflmao: That was just too funny.

I think I'm suggesting the opposite. That thinking WB execs are happy just because they turned a profit is to believe that pitch took place, that they expected to make somewhere between 800-900M when all those other movies made $1B plus, and that the investors were told that AND were SOLD on that ahead of time. I personally don't believe that, I believe the expectations HAD to be bigger than that.

And even though I mostly liked the movie (actually love love loved more than I hate hate hated though a lot of both) and don't think its an abject failure, I believe most bosses and investors find the outcome to be 'acceptable' vs 'a resounding success' as some have suggested.

I was hoping the tone of my 'pitch' would be taken as the obvious sarcasm that was intended. I really am in the favorable middle on this movie, and I can see how people like it or even love it, and I can see why people hate it. But when it comes to numbers, I can't see how anyone can believe it didn't perform well below expectations, even though expectations haven't been released, I can't think of a single reason they would have to think they could NOT go over $1B when they were greenlighting this movie and selling it to investors.

I went back to my imaginary recorder from this investor pitch meeting that happened on Earth-26 because they wanted them to meet the happy citizens like Captain Carrot and the Amazing Zoo Crew.

Zack Snyder originally pitched a happy, anthropomorphic-filled world with characters such as Aquaduck, Batmouse, Crash, Green Lambkin, Super-Squirrel, and Wonder Wabbit. And the selection of villains for the first film would come from the likes of Armadillo, Shaggy Dawg, Feline Faust, Dr. Hoot, Digger O'Doom, and Amazoo. The most extreme battles would be like watching an episode of the old Mighty Mouse episodes, where no danger ever occurred other than an evil laugh from a villain or the heroes being called 'you cheese heads'.

A nervous investor in back of the room raised her hand and asked, "But what about the fans of the traditional human superheroes? Like what we were introduced to in 'Man of Steel' with Superman and villains like General Zod."

Looking around the room, Zack Snyder smiled and said, "Well, if you liked that, we have plenty more to share. And even stories where rather than the world being forced jokes and happiness, it is more real-life - but with super-powered beings which provide more safety and more danger. Would that work for you all?"

As if with one voice and a resounding message, the investors yelled out, "YES, please!!"

Then the Warner team presented a near-term roadmap, starting with a movie to wrap up the events of 'Man of Steel' while also leading into the introduction of other metahumans and non-powered heroes. Each would have their own motivations for wanting to overcome adversity and dangers, but would be presented with a common threat that at times would force their hand to join together leading to the introduction of the Justice League and other teams near-term and in the distant future. Add to this the Warner team also shared the wonders of the Vertigo Universe, which would exist in its own space to provide adventures that were comprised of fables, lore and even spiritual influence.

But just to set expectations, Snyder shared the first movie to kick off this universe would involve many events that may or may not confuse the general audience. It would help achieve the wonders of the Justice League sooner, but ran the risk of a little more content that moviegoers would or could appreciate more than a story pandering to demands the story must work for everyone - not just comic book readers. In the end it would kick off the larger superhero franchise, leading into many movies over the next few years. Snyder would make sure at least this film focused on the core trinity (Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman), and deliver a villain or two directly and indirectly that could threaten them all - and the world.

When finished, the Warner team looked around the room waiting for investors to demand immediate billions of dollars up front, with a short-term financial blinder that could be disruptive if forced as the primary driver for immediate decisions. What they heard brought a tear to all their eyes.

"DO IT!"

What an amazing event this was.

It did close on an uncomfortable note, though. Captain Carrot jumped out and yelled, "WHAT ABOUT ME??!!"

Everyone looked at him, laughed, and then circled around to give him a big hug and reassurance he could possibly count on a Saturday morning cartoon series. The entire Zoo Crew left the event appreciated and happy.

??? Just curious:

Is there something some people don't like about Zack Snyder before hand? Much of the teeth-gnashing seems centered on "Snyder" this, that or t'other. Is there some social-meme about the man out there or something? Cool to dislike anything he does in certain circles?

I really don't know, so I'm asking. That vibe is certainly here in this thread. Or I'm imagining it's there. Something about "Snyder" anyone can fill me in on? (shrug) To make sense of the level of (obsessive) disdain? ???

To me as a movie buff, his films are all "style" and no "substance," like Michael Bay's works. I thought he had great promise after Dawn of the Dead, but have been disappointed with each movie since in varying degrees. I enjoyed The Watchmen: Director's Cut and thought Man of Steel was good. I didn't care for the Robert Rodriguez style of greenscreen filmmaking with 300 (but I watch it occasionally.)But, never had the urge to rush out to see any of his movies since. The critical reviews stating this movie is essentially a one and a half star movie and being stuck home for months due to multiple hand operations made me depressed in general did not help either. I'll watch Batman v Superman eventually in it's uncut form when it comes out. I just think his movies tend to be too noisy for my own personal taste. I am glad so many of you enjoyed it though. Sometimes that's all that matters. People praised Avengers: Age of Ultron and Transformers 4 on here intitially and they turned out to be turkeys. It all comes down to personal tastes or one's threshold to try these movies constantly to keep up with them.

The only movie I can think of that I really didn't like from Synder was Sucker Punch.

As for favorite, I think Dawn of the Dead was a near masterpiece blowing away pre-release fears of just another bad remake movie.

Synder has an over-the-top / larger than life approach to film making.

Sometimes playing a thin line with being bombastic.

It does feel like the two modern superhero movies from Snyder seem to get excessive heat due to the tone and supposed deviation from perceived traditional character designs.

Watchmen was something totally different. The editing to reduce the movie time appears to be the key disruption as in viewing the Director's Cut with the full footage pulls the story together much cleaner. Though there were also complaints about the changing of the squid beast to convey an alien invasion to force the world to bond.

The repeated 'dystopian' comment about Man of Steel and Batman v Superman feels less justified if you take note of the positives in these movies like Clark Kent realizing Lois is the love of his life, he brings value to his adopted planet by protecting it from attacks, and in this last movie...

...he sacrifices himself for the greater good leading to the Justice League.

The only movie I can think of that I really didn't like from Synder was Sucker Punch.

As for favorite, I think Dawn of the Dead was a near masterpiece blowing away pre-release fears of just another bad remake movie.

Synder has an over-the-top / larger than life approach to film making.

Sometimes playing a thin line with being bombastic.

I agree about sucker punch, I also think DOTD 2nd half paled compared to the first half

I can understand some of the dystopian comments giving people a sour note. The disjoined feeling and the dream sequences seemed to pull a lot of people out of the experience.

But I think some of the great moments in Sups VS Bats have been glossed over by the detractors.

Batman was very very good. The height of the movie for me was the Martha rescue and the extreme close ups that were used to show the urgency for Batman to fix this wrong.

Fantastic cinematography and choreography. You could really feel the emotion.

The tension was great.

Maybe the best Batman seen on screen to date. At least in many ways superior to Bales last performance.

Edited by Rip

Maybe the best Batman seen on screen to date. At least in many ways superior to Bales last performance.

Still second to Keaton, in my book. Kilmer was better than Bale. Hell, the Lego Batman is better than Bale.