• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice movie thread for your reading pleasure
2 2

8,095 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

All I know is the pressure must be enormous on DC/Warner/Affleck for the Justice League movie to be a hit. If that movie bombs critically and boxofficewise than oh my!

Justice League comes out November 17,2017 which is two weeks after THOR: Ragnorak and four weeks before the next Star Wars movie.

If Justice League gets another low rating in 20s on rotten tomatoes,then DC Universe movies will probably go in a new direction I imagine. Remember the Garfield Spider-Man movie got much better ratings than the DC movies and they overhauled Spider-Man.

So this upcoming Justice League movie could make or break DC.

I think Wonder Woman could be more important.

3 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

All I know is the pressure must be enormous on DC/Warner/Affleck for the Justice League movie to be a hit. If that movie bombs critically and boxofficewise than oh my!

Justice League comes out November 17,2017 which is two weeks after THOR: Ragnorak and four weeks before the next Star Wars movie.

If Justice League gets another low rating in 20s on rotten tomatoes,then DC Universe movies will probably go in a new direction I imagine. Remember the Garfield Spider-Man movie got much better ratings than the DC movies and they overhauled Spider-Man.

So this upcoming Justice League movie could make or break DC.

Do the ratings really matter if the films are profitable? The Garfield Spideys were weak but still did great at the box office, hitting higher numbers than a lot of the other Marvel films...............

That being said, at this point it is clear that the Zack Snyder vision for the DCCU is not resonating with fans like WB was hoping it would. He is on the way out at this point regardless of how the JL films do. I am curious to see who they give the keys to next. 

4 hours ago, kimik said:

Do the ratings really matter if the films are profitable? The Garfield Spideys were weak but still did great at the box office, hitting higher numbers than a lot of the other Marvel films...............

That being said, at this point it is clear that the Zack Snyder vision for the DCCU is not resonating with fans like WB was hoping it would. He is on the way out at this point regardless of how the JL films do. I am curious to see who they give the keys to next. 

After awhile yes. Imagine what a disaster it would be if the Justice League movie at this time next year won 4 razzies? That would be it and Warner definitely would change directions. That`'s why I am starting to see Ben Affleck as the canary in a coal mine about wanting out of the Batman role, maybe he knows something about the upcoming Justice League movie and that is why he is preparing to exit? Just strange how that rumor started out of nowhere for some reason leading me to believe Ben Affleck isn't happy with the DC movie universe experience.

Ben` is a pretty smart guy and knows what's up.

I hope though that DC/Warner righted ship leaving the critics eating crow when Justice League comes out.

6 hours ago, kimik said:

Yes.  Every Spidey film since #3 has done worst at the box office than the last because if the ratings suck then future audiences start to disappear.  Spidey 3 was a HUGE financial success with a bigger opening weekend than the first two, but Sony knew that the lower ratings--which were still 63% on Rotten Tomatoes so still higher than any of the post-Nolan DC films--would erode the franchise.  And they have, hence them handing it back to Marvel.

19 hours ago, Gatsby771 said:

And yet, now we forever have to refer to Suicide Squad as Academy Award-winning Suicide Squad.

Right up there with Academy Award winner Eminem and Academy Award winners Three 6 Mafia.

For "Best Makeup & Hair Styling". The latter consisted of green dye, pigtails and a Bic razor.

It just goes to show, awards are pretty meaningless...

32 minutes ago, Comicopolis said:

The only 'ultimate version' of BVS that could improve it considerably would be the one without Luthor, Doomsday and all the unnecessary 'dream sequences.'

I didn't like the rock troll look of Doomsday and Luthor was a bit irritating. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

22 hours ago, philsbackpack said:

Bosco, I've seen a few of your posts specifically point to the 'ultimate cut' and how taking that into consideration that BvS probably would have been more well received/reviewed.

I've watched both versions myself a few times.  I've enjoyed the movie either way.  Thought it was entertaining, just not great.  I've never felt that the 'ultimate cut' made me like it much more, just seemed like a slightly longer movie.

In your opinion, what is it in the 'ultimate cut' that really led you to feel that it should have been the version seen in theaters?

I think I've noted a few times why anyone may have felt the way they did about the Ultimate Cut (along with others agreeing). I'd suggest going back and reading those post. Although having to justify an opinion about appreciating a film when others hate it isn't going to make the opposing opinion-holders all of a sudden change their views. In this case, it just opens the door for more negative posting towards anyone that found entertainment with this movie.

Now those that stated Captain America: Civil War was the greatest superhero movie ever created - I don't think I saw people pounce on such a broad statement. Other than they made fun of Zemo as a villain, and that he really didn't accomplish his full mission. But hey, hate and love what you want.

6 hours ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Suicide Squad had this iconic t-shirt that has become iconic with millennials and soccer moms,so I figured it get an Oscar for something visual.

Margot Robbie should've won an Oscar just for being Margot Robbie...

:wink:

2 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Now those that stated Captain America: Civil War was the greatest superhero movie ever created - I don't think I saw people pounce on such a broad statement. Other than they made fun of Zemo as a villain, and that he really didn't accomplish his full mission. But hey, hate and love what you want.

No, no... That was Age of Ultron!

10 hours ago, fantastic_four said:

Yes.  Every Spidey film since #3 has done worst at the box office than the last because if the ratings suck then future audiences start to disappear.  Spidey 3 was a HUGE financial success with a bigger opening weekend than the first two, but Sony knew that the lower ratings--which were still 63% on Rotten Tomatoes so still higher than any of the post-Nolan DC films--would erode the franchise.  And they have, hence them handing it back to Marvel.

Reaching, reaching ...

A movies success or failure does not have much to do with past movies.  Otherwise, Star Wars would have been finished with AOTC and James Bond, well, a long time ago.

All a studio cares about is box office numbers.  Yes, they'd like the publicity/advertisement that good reviews bring, but at the end of the day, if critics hate it and audiences love it and the movie makes money, guess which way the studio will lean?

Those Transformer movies keep chugging along and guess what, low Rotten Tomato scores.  And the studio could care less because they keep raking in the dough.

Edited by rjrjr

1 hour ago, NewEnglandGothic said:

She'll luck into something eventually (like Charlize did in Monster.) You always knew Emma Stone would after Easy A. Just a matter of time for Margot.

Easy A is a great movie.

BVS was up against Zoolander 2 and Fifty Shades of Black in the 'worst of ' awards. I haven't seen those films, but I can't believe for a second that it's a fair comparison.  

2 hours ago, rjrjr said:

Reaching, reaching ...

A movies success or failure does not have much to do with past movies.  Otherwise, Star Wars would have been finished with AOTC and James Bond, well, a long time ago.

All a studio cares about is box office numbers.  Yes, they'd like the publicity/advertisement that good reviews bring, but at the end of the day, if critics hate it and audiences love it and the movie makes money, guess which way the studio will lean?

Those Transformer movies keep chugging along and guess what, low Rotten Tomato scores.  And the studio could care less because they keep raking in the dough.

To be fair to Transformers the first movie actually scored a 57% on Rotten Tomatoes,so Transformers even got of to a better critical start than both BvS which scored a 27% and Suicide Squad which scored a 26% respectfully on Rotten Tomatoes. Yep, the pressure is on Justice League not only box office-wise,but also to be a critical hit.

For some reason I think Justice League will surprise both the critics and fans.