• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

George Perez has lost sight in his left eye

35 posts in this topic

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=47959

Legendary artist George Perez's vision has deteriorated to the point where he is near-blind in his left eye and will require major surgery to correct. Perez posted a full description of his current status on his Facebook page earlier this week, along with a photograph of himself wearing an eyepatch over his left eye.

"I need to report that my eye troubles have taken a bit of a downturn as my left eye has experienced some hemorrhaging, pretty much blinding me in that eye," Perez said via Facebook. "This has necessitated my wearing an eyepatch in order to see a bit more clearly through my right eye. My eye doctor is continuing a combination of laser and injection surgery, but there is a possibility that I may require scalpel surgery in the near future. I need to begin treatments that will better control my diabetes and blood pressure before he can do that, though. I had considered keeping this private, but realized that it would become pretty public once I appeared at the Project Comic Con show in St. Louis this weekend.

"I'm not going to minimize the seriousness of my situation, but I am still drawing (albeit with a bit more effort) and am trying to maintain a positive, upbeat attitude," the artist continued. "My wife Carol (Phoenicia) is an enormous source of comfort, support and love and the friends and family members who've heard the news have been pillars of concern and well wishes. I appreciate all the strength they've provided me."

George Perez is a comic book badass

George Perez with an eye patch is even MORE of a comic book badass

Wishing recovery and successful treatments and recovery for George. One of my favorite creators, and a guy who seems to genuinely love the comics community.

Nothing more frightening to an artist than having something wrong with your vision. Well-wishes to George Perez and that everything goes well and smooth with his treatment. :wishluck:

I have been battling diabetes and high blood pressure. I know what he's going through. Never thought the two would ever affect my eye sight of all things.

Same thing for me - a personal connection to what Perez is going through. Both of you, of course. My mother was blind the last four years of her life because of diabetic retinopathy.

Perez is a creator I've admired all the time I've been collecting, and I truly, truly hope that the surgery goes well and he recovers. :foryou::foryou:

[font:Book Antiqua]
Nothing more frightening to an artist than having something wrong with your vision.

Or your hands, Arthritis should be artist worst nightmare...

[/font]

:eek:

Yeah - hands would be very bad, but arthritic hands, or even amputation would still allow you to have an apparatus that you could create art with, albeit in a different way than you are used to.

Losing sight would not only prohibit you from seeing your own work or being able to express yourself with art, you would not be able to appreciate other peoples' art as well as things in your environment that influence creativity.

But enough with hypotheticals. I hope George's eye issue clears up!

My mother had the exact thing George has. She had successful suregry that was able to delay the deterioration for almost ten years. Now, however, she is legally blind.

Diabetes and high blood pressure will kill you in the end, and both are fairly easy to avoid and control.

A few years ago, I had the same problems Perez currently has.

My eye doctor did lazer surgery and it did not work very well. He then gave me injections into both eyes (into the white parts of my eyes), with a drug that is normally used in the treatment of colon cancer (of all things).

Before those injections, my vision was 2400. Now my vision is 20-20, although I do wear glasses to read most things. Except for reading, my vision is pert near perfect.

I do not remember the name of the drug that was used in the injections. But it was somewhat experimental at the time. Would be easy to find out though. I could just call my doctors office and ask.

When I got injections into my eyes, it was the scariest thing I have ever done BEFORE I did it. Afterwards it was no big deal. Sounds a lot worse than it feels. They put some drops in my eyes and wait a couple of minutes. Then tell you to look at a spot on the wall, and don't blink. Then the Doctor did the injection coming from a side angle. You see it coming, but if you trust your doctor, you accept it and it is over quickly. You barely feel it.

Believe me. You won't blink or move your eyes.

No big deal really, and it worked. It worked amazingly.

Of course you have to maintain your health by keeping your blood sugars in check and your blood pressure regulated after that. Or it will come back.

A few years ago, I had the same problems Perez currently has.

My eye doctor did lazer surgery and it did not work very well. He then gave me injections into both eyes (into the white parts of my eyes), with a drug that is normally used in the treatment of colon cancer (of all things).

Before those injections, my vision was 2400. Now my vision is 20-20, although I do wear glasses to read most things. Except for reading, my vision is pert near perfect.

I do not remember the name of the drug that was used in the injections. But it was somewhat experimental at the time. Would be easy to find out though. I could just call my doctors office and ask.

When I got injections into my eyes, it was the scariest thing I have ever done BEFORE I did it. Afterwards it was no big deal. Sounds a lot worse than it feels. They put some drops in my eyes and wait a couple of minutes. Then tell you to look at a spot on the wall, and don't blink. Then the Doctor did the injection coming from a side angle. You see it coming, but if you trust your doctor, you accept it and it is over quickly. You barely feel it.

Believe me. You won't blink or move your eyes.

No big deal really, and it worked. It worked amazingly.

Of course you have to maintain your health by keeping your blood sugars in check and your blood pressure regulated after that. Or it will come back.

Wow. Nice recovery. I have put off laser surgery (I can't wear contacts, only glasses) because while I hear lots of stories about how it worked great, I also hear many stories of complications and issues. I'm glad yours eventually worked out for the better!

I was standing in line for a $40 hot dog at SDCC this year, dressed in a pretty badass old school Quasar costume a friend made for me when I hear, "Oh my God, Quasar!"

I turn and it's George Perez walking up to me to compliment the costume and tell me that Quasar (as The Crusader) was in the first issue of Fantastic Four that he ever drew.

He then wanted to pose for a picture with me! I was thinking, "Uh, you're a legend, dude - the honor is mine!"

Great guy, hope he recovers nicely.

Yes, I wore a costume to SDCC.

Perez is one of the friendliest, most engaging, charming, and hardest working for his fans creators I have ever met. I wish him all the best, and hope that he can get his eye fixed once his medical issues are under control.

Perez is one of the friendliest, most engaging, charming, and hardest working for his fans creators I have ever met. I wish him all the best, and hope that he can get his eye fixed once his medical issues are under control.

Amen.

I have been battling diabetes and high blood pressure. I know what he's going through. Never thought the two would ever affect my eye sight of all things.

My eye doctor once showed me the image that they took of the back of my eye, where you can see the optic disc (where the optic nerve connects to the eye). The blood vessels are very prominent, and I was told that she had advised patients to be checked for diabetes from that image.

I feel bad for Mr. Perez. I hope he is able to find a treatment that works for him.

This.