• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

One of the rarest DC's ever

28 posts in this topic

I just acquired this book and I understand that this is an extremely hard to find DC even though it does not say DC anywhere on the book. But according to Overstreet it is. I saw a thread a long time ago where Levine, the DC super collector was looking for this book.

racers001_zps80178659.jpg

Just found it as an insert in Batman #443. It's not in a few other DCs from the same month, though.

Still have no idea if it's been published separately or not.

Confirmed that it is indeed in Batman #443, but only a newsprint copy . . . no glossy cover (shrug)

Just found it as an insert in Batman #443. It's not in a few other DCs from the same month, though.

Still have no idea if it's been published separately or not.

Confirmed that it is indeed in Batman #443, but only a newsprint copy . . . no glossy cover (shrug)

Are we even certain that it actually exists as a copy with glossy cover? (shrug)

BTW, I checked around 8-9 other DCs published that month (January 1990 cover date) and the insert was not in any of them.

They were only inserted into Batman 443 and Superman 39

So then, not rare at all.

But the inserts had newsprint covers (just checked my Superman #39 as well) and metarog says that his copies have glossy covers, so we're obviously talking about a different edition.

So, this comic looks to be about some RC cars. A promo comic at best. Sounds like they were inserts. So how valuable are they? I mean, just because it's old and somewhat rare doesn't necessarily translate into valuable. I would have prefered if it had a DC character.

I'm not even sure if I would call this rare. It's an adertisement, and for it to be inserted into a book or with a book requires a significant cost investment on the part of the advertiser - and with that kind of investment in marketing comes a high print run. It's not like there were only a couple hundred printed - more likely tens of thousands.

I'd guess it's more like 'rarely seen' because it's an advertisement, and combined with the fact it didn't have any recognizable characters - it was probably discarded by the vast majority of people who got it.

So, this comic looks to be about some RC cars. A promo comic at best. Sounds like they were inserts. So how valuable are they? I mean, just because it's old and somewhat rare doesn't necessarily translate into valuable. I would have prefered if it had a DC character.

Some were inserts (newsprint covers) and some were stand alone promos (glossy covers).

In my opinion it is not accurate to call them DC comic books. No DC logo, no DC characters, no mention of a publisher and to my knowledge nothing about the books themselves linking them to DC except that they were inserts in some DC comics. Basically they're just advertising pamphlets unrelated to DC. Again, just my opinion.

I think the most interesting aspect of the Lightning Racers comic is that it seems to be the first published Chris Sprouse art. He seems to think it is, scroll down for the chronological listing...

http://sprousenet.wordpress.com/checklist/

This checklist also does not include any reference to this as an independent comic book, only as an insert in Superman 39 and Batman 443. Possibly the glossy edition was inserted into some packages of the cars?

I think the most interesting aspect of the Lightning Racers comic is that it seems to be the first published Chris Sprouse art. He seems to think it is, scroll down for the chronological listing...

http://sprousenet.wordpress.com/checklist/

This checklist also does not include any reference to this as an independent comic book, only as an insert in Superman 39 and Batman 443. Possibly the glossy edition was inserted into some packages of the cars?

+1 This is what I've been thinking. There's no UPC so it was either a direct or prepackaged with something. A lot like the reprints of the X-Men books you get with the figures these days. Is there an indica on the inside that gives any information?