• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP KEITH CONTARINO - CONDOLENCES to his family+ friends

340 posts in this topic

Good luck with your case. I've defended people wrongly accused in the past and it's a harrowing experience for everyone involved. I wouldn't discuss any more details here or anywhere other than with your lawyer, however.

One thing you should think about, Ben hasn't been able to reach you for 3 months. If you had found a way to communicate with him, even to just explain what was going on, that you were forced to use his money but would make good on it, it would have avoided this entire discussion. His post, this thread, and the subsequent circus would have never come to pass.

Given your long relationship with Ben it seems he expected better communication.

"Fouteen. Yes, Ben and I have had an arrangement. I have been buying and selling books for him for at least 15 years. I have received no compensation at all for any of this until the past 2 years when he found a collection here in the States. After he had bought all the early Marvels and I sold them for him either myself or through auction houses, he decided to cut me in for 30% of the rest. I'm not complaining but wonder what 30% of all the early books would have been. Certainly 5 figures and possibly more than $26,000. I can say this:had I charged him 10% for all the books I bought and sold for him over the years would have amounted to much more than $26,000. I'm not saying I don't owe him any money just because I've done a lot of sales for him for free. Just saying it's been conveniently forgotten by him and not mentioned anywhere. As I learned in jail, people you've known for years all of a sudden forget anything nice you've done for them when things go wrong. Your circle of friends is smaller than you think

I don't intend to come back here to defend myself. As someone pointed out; I have other things to do right now. Those of you that know me should know the legal charges I have pending are ridiculous but they are serious and I have to defend myself which is costing a small fortune. This will delay me paying Ben back but he will be paid.

Keith Contarino"

It's all about communication. $26K is a big chunk of change. And clearly, from the original post, he had no idea your life had been turned upside down. What's he supposed to think when you disappear as far as he's concerned? True, not much you can do while in the can.

Good luck with your case. I've defended people wrongly accused in the past and it's a harrowing experience for everyone involved. I wouldn't discuss any more details here or anywhere other than with your lawyer, however.

too late

Wow!! Heard I was getting slammed here. I read through some of the 10 pages and although I can't talk specifically about my case there is so much misinformation on these boards I will address that.

First, I intend for Ben to get every penny of his money back. I've also made him a beneficiary on my Life Insurance policy just in case anything happens to me.

That's a start

Second. I'm insulted to be lumped with people in this hobby that trimmed books, restored them etc. in an attempt to bilk everyone in the entire hobby. My dealings are with one person only. The negatives on Ebay all came about while I was in jail and,obviously, could not mail out books. Every one of those people have gotten all their money back including postage, or their items, or both. One of the negatives was from someone that never even paid. He was pissed I didn't answer his email. Another was over a book that cost $1.99, another for some cards worth about $4. Ebay's policies have gotten ridiculous and so anti-seller it's a wonder anybody still sells there. But that's another story

Your case is definitely better reading than a trimmed book

Third. I defy anybody in this hobby to stand up and say I ripped them off on any deal over the past 45 years. Anybody.

Dr. Donald Blake

Fourth. I'd remind everybody that you're still innocent until proven guilty in this country. The way the system works, the Police arrest anybody they please and throw as many charges as p[ossible against them hoping some will stick. They knew full well I was a Veterinarian with a valid license and DEA Registration but cared less. They took my entire inventory of medications I use in my mobile practice and charged me with a violation of Georgia's Controlled Substance Act for every one. Every medication was either locked in my safe or in my room which is locked when I'm not there. Some of the medications I was charged with are Pepcid, Benadryl, Dramamine, 3 antibiotics, 2 antacids, 2 anti-fungals. Some you don't even need a prescription for. Almost none were controlled except those locked in the safe. Every medication they seized I have purchase orders for and records where they were used and what for. None are for my personal use or for the use by any other person.

Truth

Fifth The illegal drugs found were a miniscule amount with a street value of around $150. They weren't mine and I have no idea how they ended up in my house (well, actually I do but can't talk about it)

Umm What?

Sixth I don't use Meth or Heroin. I have an Adderral prescription and my own pain medications. I go to a pain clinic and have since my neck was operated on in 2011. I get drug tested every month. My picture WAS pretty wasn't it? You should see my wife's and step daughter's. I don't know how they do it but they can take anybody and make them look like a drug addict/terrorist/child molester etc.

in addition to the minuscule amounts of illegal drug? or without?

Seventh People are confusing what was found in my bedroom and what was in my step daughters. No weed, alcohol, pills in a baggie, paraphenalia in my room. The non-drug items found in my room have been sent to a lab. I can't say more other than I hope they aren't lost as the police are going to look stupid.

Those unruly step daughters.

Eight The Police trashed my house. I doubt they cleaned anything up afterwards. I spent 3 days cleaning and found none of the things they say were strewn all over my house. Needles were inside syringes or in a sharps container. The only pills on the floor I found were Benadryl.

This is looking bad

Nine The child cruelty charge comes from an alleged tape they have of my wife, step-daughter, and me in the back of a police car. The police had taken this poor kid and made her sit down in the driveway and shown a bright light in her face for over 45 minutes. They wouldn't let her mother or I near her. By the time she was arrested she was a wreck and hyperventilating. The entire ride to jail we tried to calm her down. I told her not to talk to the police without her father or attorney present. the police wrote that in the report as if I had done something wrong by telling her she had a right to representation.

Nothing to do with the drugs found?

Ten. Neither my wife nor I have ever given any of the kids any illegal or legal drug or any tobacco or alcohol. Rules in the house this summer were simple. In the house no drugs no alcohol, NO WEED< NO WEED, NO WEED. I wanted nothing anybody could smell for obvious reasons. At midnight, if they were under 18 and staying, I called their parents and took the car keys. Anyone over 18 either left or I took the keys. No"coming and going". I had hoped to give them a place where they would be safe and off the streets. Was I monitoring them while they were inside? Apparantly not closely enough.

You take keys away from 18 year olds? What could they possibly be doing that they can't drive home? Oh wait, i'm getting it now. Party house

Eleven. My house is in foreclosure. I have been slammed in the local media and slandered by other veterinarians. I got to spend 30 wonderful days locked up, the first 8 without my glasses which for some reason the police would not let me take with me

House in foreclosure and apparently no bail. You're paying back Blake how again?

Twelve. I still haven't seen the search warrant and we were not allowed to watch the Police destroy my home. This was for their protection they said. I guess 12 armed Police officers had a lot to fear from an out of shape 62 year old man and his wife. The official report filed is almost a complete fabrication

Did you see the couple on CNN. They were in their 70's and both had killed previous spouses in the mid 70's, met and got married

Thirteen We will never go to Court. The system is set up to plea bargain everything to avoid Court. I can't plea to any felony charges as I would lose my license. No prosecutor in his or her right mind will want to try this after they get all the information.

You did nothing wrong, don't worry about any charges.

Fouteen. Yes, Ben and I have had an arrangement. I have been buying and selling books for him for at least 15 years. I have received no compensation at all for any of this until the past 2 years when he found a collection here in the States. After he had bought all the early Marvels and I sold them for him either myself or through auction houses, he decided to cut me in for 30% of the rest. I'm not complaining but wonder what 30% of all the early books would have been. Certainly 5 figures and possibly more than $26,000. I can say this:had I charged him 10% for all the books I bought and sold for him over the years would have amounted to much more than $26,000. I'm not saying I don't owe him any money just because I've done a lot of sales for him for free. Just saying it's been conveniently forgotten by him and not mentioned anywhere. As I learned in jail, people you've known for years all of a sudden forget anything nice you've done for them when things go wrong. Your circle of friends is smaller than you think

I don't intend to come back here to defend myself. As someone pointed out; I have other things to do right now. Those of you that know me should know the legal charges I have pending are ridiculous but they are serious and I have to defend myself which is costing a small fortune. This will delay me paying Ben back but he will be paid.

I think Ben needs to fund your defense, obviously this is all on him for taking advantage of you for 20 years

Keith Contarino

This was some great reading and I look forward to seeing how it plays out. Good luck on your defense and I hope Ben gets his money back plus interest.

This was some great reading and I look forward to seeing how it plays out. Good luck on your defense and I hope Ben gets his money back plus interest.

Do you know Keith?

nope, just what he wrote here

I'm just wondering why you would go through so much trouble to argue with someone when

a) he said he won't be returning to argue

b) it has nothing to do with you and

c) the guy said he was going to make it right with Ben?

(shrug)

"Fouteen. Yes, Ben and I have had an arrangement. I have been buying and selling books for him for at least 15 years. I have received no compensation at all for any of this until the past 2 years when he found a collection here in the States. After he had bought all the early Marvels and I sold them for him either myself or through auction houses, he decided to cut me in for 30% of the rest. I'm not complaining but wonder what 30% of all the early books would have been. Certainly 5 figures and possibly more than $26,000. I can say this:had I charged him 10% for all the books I bought and sold for him over the years would have amounted to much more than $26,000. I'm not saying I don't owe him any money just because I've done a lot of sales for him for free. Just saying it's been conveniently forgotten by him and not mentioned anywhere. As I learned in jail, people you've known for years all of a sudden forget anything nice you've done for them when things go wrong. Your circle of friends is smaller than you think

Keith Contarino"

Sour grapes over bad business mistakes and not asking for financial compensation for your services up front or even during the process when you realized you were doing work that others were making money on does not justify anything that has been said here.

nope, just what he wrote here

I'm just wondering why you would go through so much trouble to argue with someone when

a) he said he won't be returning to argue

b) it has nothing to do with you and

c) the guy said he was going to make it right with Ben?

(shrug)

Wasn't any trouble at all

a) wasn't arguing

b) posted on public message board

c) I hope so, whether you know someone or not, they shouldn't be ripped off.

I thought it was unfortunate reading. (shrug)

I agree.

He probably didn't need to disclose as much as he did but it can be infuriating not being able to tell your side of the story. There's always more sides to a story than just one.

His biggest mistake was not communicating with Ben.

I'm glad that he's going to put in a solid effort to make it right. :wishluck:

I thought it was unfortunate reading. (shrug)

I agree.

He probably didn't need to disclose as much as he did but it can be infuriating not being able to tell your side of the story. There's always more sides to a story than just one.

His biggest mistake was not communicating with Ben.

I'm glad that he's going to put in a solid effort to make it right. :wishluck:

I hear there might be an opening for a new comic finder guy of vintage material. You available?

NM, was only funny the first time.

Hee Haw.

Yur a pickin', and he's a grinnin'