• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP KEITH CONTARINO - CONDOLENCES to his family+ friends

340 posts in this topic

Sorry, but one post to tell your story and not say how you plan on paying the OP back doesn't cut it. Not with that amount of money at stake. Totally shady, tale of two cities up in this thread; I'd like to hear how the cops describe the situation as your descriptions down-play everything and you are just the victim. I've been around the block enough to know better, anyone else feel the same way? IMHO, he should be banned until he repays the OP.

Jerome

Unfortunately, cops are some of the most corrupt people in this world. Nothing is ever far fetched with them. Especially down South, that's one place I'd be petrified if I was arrested.

Try this FAKE scenario, I was driving down south and have NY plates(out of towner). I stop at a hotel/bar on the way down to Florida. I bang a chick I meet at the bar in my hotel room. Come to find out it was the wife of a cops brother. Word gets out before I leave. Id be pulled over, searched(illegally but they will say I'm swerving or smell weed), and an unlicensed gun(planted on me) would be in my pocket before I left that town. My word against the "good old law." I'm a goner, meanwhile I'm innocent. I'd be telling my story and people like you would be saying, "PLAYING THE VICTIM, BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD." See how easy it is for cops?

Sooo if Keith makes good on what he owes. Is he really a bad person in this hobby? I don't think so. So I will not pass judgement, yet.

Obviously I hope the OP gets everything he's owed and the friendship can be salvaged.

Sounds like an episode of Smokey and the Bandit. Was the cops name Junior?

Sorry, but one post to tell your story and not say how you plan on paying the OP back doesn't cut it. Not with that amount of money at stake. Totally shady, tale of two cities up in this thread; I'd like to hear how the cops describe the situation as your descriptions down-play everything and you are just the victim. I've been around the block enough to know better, anyone else feel the same way? IMHO, he should be banned until he repays the OP.

Jerome

Unfortunately, cops are some of the most corrupt people in this world. Nothing is ever far fetched with them. Especially down South, that's one place I'd be petrified if I was arrested.

Try this FAKE scenario, I was driving down south and have NY plates(out of towner). I stop at a hotel/bar on the way down to Florida. I bang a chick I meet at the bar in my hotel room. Come to find out it was the wife of a cops brother. Word gets out before I leave. Id be pulled over, searched(illegally but they will say I'm swerving or smell weed), and an unlicensed gun(planted on me) would be in my pocket before I left that town. My word against the "good old law." I'm a goner, meanwhile I'm innocent. I'd be telling my story and people like you would be saying, "PLAYING THE VICTIM, BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD." See how easy it is for cops?

I saw that movie...Burt Reynold's....Sally Field....but he didn't let himself get pulled over...the Bandit put the pedal to the metal.

lol Beat me too it. "Sounded a lot taller on the radio".

Jerome

The one thing that Keith has in his favour which has allowed people to give some benefit of the doubt here is a decades long good reputation among the hobby. He's not just some fly by night act. Many people know him very well and trust him (or have trusted him up to this point).

As long as Ben is being communicated with and there is forward progress in repaying him, I'd say the decision is up to Ben on how he wants to handle it.

Unfortunately, cops are some of the most corrupt people in this world.

:facepalm: discriminate much? *sigh*

You know phill,there are a few Police officers on the boards here.Why don't you ask them what they think of your statement?

Yeah, that was uncalled for. We have board members who serve on police forces across the continent.

I live in a small town and I believe we have the best cops in the country working in our town. They're not there to throw the book at you. They're awesome, friendly, honest, realistic.

Legal charges - check

Discussing said case on public forum - check

Growing angst between members - check

Insults beginning - check

All Cops are bent - check.

This one is going to Locksville very shortly.

IBTL

Carry On Gentlemen.

Legal charges - check

IBTL

Carry On Gentlemen.

Damn I've been in enough trouble these days,I'm out! :hi:

You know phill,there are a few Police officers on the boards here.Why don't you ask them what they think of your statement?

The police anywhere are humans (as far as I know), and therefore are not perfect. Like many other professions, there are some better ones, some worse ones, some who take advantage of situations, some who are outright criminals, and some who are getting better and some who are getting worse, and some who are a mix of these things.

Linking these charges to cops being 'corrupt' is near insane. Now there may be bad evidence, faulty investigating, and/or discriminatory practices, but its near impossible to draw a link to 'corruption'. But I guess that's only if you view the definition of 'corruption' the same way that everyone else on the planet does.

I'm not sure what a cop could hope to gain by framing or falsely accusing a veterinarian comic book collector of letting children drink or do drugs in his house. Would someone bribe the cops to falsely accuse them? Would the cops be jealous of the vet for some reason? Did cops steal the $26,000? Did the cops move my cheese? But it sounds like you're more of an expert on the topic, so I guess I'll defer to your explanation.

Note: I'm not saying there aren't corrupt cops out there, I believe there to be. And there certainly are parts of the justice system as a whole and in specifics that are flawed and in many cases unfair and outright unethical. But to blame this all on 'cops are corrupt' doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

well i'm glad keith finally responded

i finally received an email from him yesterday which stated some of the points he put in his post

my OP was an attempt to get him to respond because what has been frustrating and disappointing was keith not replying to any emails including ones enquiring about his welfare when i knew he had been bailed out from jail.

i hope keith is innocent and i hope he can get over this difficult time in his life.

The police anywhere are humans (as far as I know), and therefore are not perfect. Like many other professions, there are some better ones, some worse ones, some who take advantage of situations, some who are outright criminals, and some who are getting better and some who are getting worse, and some who are a mix of these things.

Linking these charges to cops being 'corrupt' is near insane. Now there may be bad evidence, faulty investigating, and/or discriminatory practices, but its near impossible to draw a link to 'corruption'. But I guess that's only if you view the definition of 'corruption' the same way that everyone else on the planet does.

I'm not sure what a cop could hope to gain by framing or falsely accusing a veterinarian comic book collector of letting children drink or do drugs in his house. Would someone bribe the cops to falsely accuse them? Would the cops be jealous of the vet for some reason? Did cops steal the $26,000? Did the cops move my cheese? But it sounds like you're more of an expert on the topic, so I guess I'll defer to your explanation.

Note: I'm not saying there aren't corrupt cops out there, I believe there to be. And there certainly are parts of the justice system as a whole and in specifics that are flawed and in many cases unfair and outright unethical. But to blame this all on 'cops are corrupt' doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I imagine they already had someone telling them what was going on in the house. Truth or fabrication, they had a story and the search warrant was to confirm it. They don't go in with a search warrant to piece a story together. If it's been a month I wonder if he already knows who sang and why? I'd be very surprised if they didn't plan on having a witness to present.

Jerome

Sooo if Keith makes good on what he owes. Is he really a bad person in this hobby? I don't think so. So I will not pass judgement, yet.

Obviously I hope the OP gets everything he's owed and the friendship can be salvaged.

Sounds like an episode of Smokey and the Bandit. Was the cops name Junior?

Every cop has a murder weapon and ounce of heroin to plant on someone for no reason, haven't you watched Training Day?

Legal charges - check

IBTL

Carry On Gentlemen.

Damn I've been in enough trouble these days,I'm out! :hi:

2z4wlzr4880327.gif

-slym

Fouteen. Yes, Ben and I have had an arrangement. I have been buying and selling books for him for at least 15 years. I have received no compensation at all for any of this until the past 2 years when he found a collection here in the States. After he had bought all the early Marvels and I sold them for him either myself or through auction houses, he decided to cut me in for 30% of the rest. I'm not complaining but wonder what 30% of all the early books would have been. Certainly 5 figures and possibly more than $26,000. I can say this:had I charged him 10% for all the books I bought and sold for him over the years would have amounted to much more than $26,000. I'm not saying I don't owe him any money just because I've done a lot of sales for him for free. Just saying it's been conveniently forgotten by him and not mentioned anywhere. As I learned in jail, people you've known for years all of a sudden forget anything nice you've done for them when things go wrong. Your circle of friends is smaller than you think

I don't intend to come back here to defend myself. As someone pointed out; I have other things to do right now. Those of you that know me should know the legal charges I have pending are ridiculous but they are serious and I have to defend myself which is costing a small fortune. This will delay me paying Ben back but he will be paid.

Keith Contarino

to clarify this point made by keith:

keith had been buying and selling comics @ no charge for me for15 years, true.

He did not mention that i also gave him gifts of thanks including many valuable comics.

The collection i found, keith had been getting a very generous 30 % cut from 2009 actually, NOT justt the last 2 years.

The majority of the more valuable comics were sold via an auction house and not by keith.

So essentially keith got 30 % for receiving the books, packing them and sending them to cgc and then to the auction house.

below is a link to the spidey 24 cgc 9.6 which sold in 2009, keith got 30% of that

http://www.comiclink.com/text/2009-11recordpricesrealized.htm

again, i hope keith can work things out and move on

one of those valuable comics was an avengers 4 from the collection i found, a copy keith had described as the most white and beautiful copy he had seen in 40 years of collecting and jsut like the one he had stored in his dad's house when he started collecting.

keith was saying how he jsut had to have this book for his collection and that it would be a keeper.

i personally wanted it for myself.

keith offered to buy it from me but i gave it to him. yes that is correct.

he then turns around a few months later and sells it

to say i was disappointed would be an understatement