• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP KEITH CONTARINO - CONDOLENCES to his family+ friends

340 posts in this topic

i've dealt with keith in the past. after reading the article what are the chances if convicted he looses his veterinarian's licence? some drugs used on animals can be used recreationally on humans. isn't it like an attorney, doctor or PA that run ins with the law can result in you being suspended if not barred.

i know that the woman shown is his second wife? keith told me once he was paying alimony out the be-hind to wife number #1 for many years and that he has several kids with her. hence the reason he cut way back on his buy and sold off some of his high graded keys.

I'm also wondering how Doug Schmell is going to take this considering he and Keith were good friends and Keith put many books on Doug's site.

I hope the OP gets his money back. But I just have to say there are many conclusions being jumped to and wild "pulled out their " hypotheses being thrown about, this thread has little factual value. Thankfully, it has some entertainment value.

It would do better to simply act as a warning to others about this one person, much as the OP seemed to intend. But let's not let that get in the way of a CG thread inevitable course to stupidtown.

With a stop at lake moral superior.

The article indicated the parents were scoring the dope for the kids and using with them. And prescription drugs are no joke. I was in rehab with some pill heads and they were worse off in the detox tank than the junkies. Those needles were most likely for slamming pills. That mess is not tame. It's totally cruelty to children, their daughter's life may already be ruined. I have no sympathy for the parents and I hope they catch some state time for it.

I have no knowledge of this case and you could be correct. But for the sake of playing devil's advocate, I'll present a different way of reading the article:

When Cobb authorities executed a search warrant at 3791 Ardsley Ct., they found numerous prescription pills as well as used, uncapped syringes scattered throughout John and Amy Contarino's house, according to Cobb arrest warrants.

Prescription pills sounds like something a lot of people would have in their house. It's also been mentioned that the guy was a vet which could explain large amounts of drugs and syringes.

The couple was "aware of the copious amounts of narcotics and alcohol usage by teenage and young adults within the residence," according to the warrants. "Accused helped to furnish and encouraged the narcotics and alcohol usage within the residence."

They were aware of the daughter, still living at home presumably, inviting friends over and that they were using drugs. I don't think it's abnormal behavior for parents who find out that kind of thing to not immediately throw their kid out of the house or report her to the police. Maybe they were concerned and trying to help her while trying not to ruin her life by making her a homeless drug addict or convicted felon in jail? The "helped to furnish and encouraged the narcotics" sounds damning, but could be the police/reporter connecting dots a certain way to paint the picture the way they want it to look. Would not locking the daughter out of their house constitute encouragement? Would having prescription pills and alcohol in the house that the daughter was able to swipe constitute furnishing?

In one exchange, the couple allegedly told their daughter to not talk to police.

Maybe they didn't want her to incriminate herself as they were aware of her drug use.

"As the 17-year-old became more upset and began to state that she wished to go home," according to the warrants, "accused continued to badger her and blame her for the police presence to the point that the 17-year-old began to hyperventilate."

"Now look what you've done, you didn't think smoking pot and using pills was a big deal, but now we're being arrested. This is all your fault, young lady!"

Maybe I just don't have enough trust or faith in the US police, but them searching a residence and wanting to find something incriminating instead of presuming innocence doesn't sound implausible to me these days. Again, though, I know nothing of this guy or the situation and it could also be just as you described. But I prefer to not automatically think the worst of people.

Could be, but I was a drug addict from my early teens to my mid twenties. I lived with my mom the entire time. I had the house raided and my mom was never busted for scoring me drugs. It's also not easy to get the kind of warrant required for a drug raid. They really only raid the house if drugs are being sold there. I know dope houses that have been active for at least 15 years and never been raided. It didn't happen because a couple teens were having a wine cooler and smoking a little weed at the house. I'm also an insulin user, and I have needles in the house. Fresh, clean needles with the caps on still in the box they came in, and dirty used needles still with the caps on in a plastic jug with a biohazard sticker, right next to the box of clean needles in the pantry. I don't have uncapped needles all over my house. That sounds like a junkies house. The article COULD be misleading, but assuming it's not, it's illustrating exactly what child abuse is. That kid should have been in rehab for the pills.

Is it possible that he used your money to post bail? If he did and he shows up for his charges/processing etc he would eventually be returned the bail money. Not saying this would happen quickly. Or based on those mug shots he liked the Breaking Bad business model and was running a meth lab on your money.

Hmm. Maybe he's not replying to your emails as a friend.

If he was using your money, or some of it, to fund his drug activities then the police might consider you a accomplice.

Maybe it's better if you kept a low profile until you got more information.

It sucks that a 20 year friendship could blow up like this... :(

I hope the OP gets his money back. But I just have to say there are many conclusions being jumped to and wild "pulled out their " hypotheses being thrown about, this thread has little factual value. Thankfully, it has some entertainment value.

It would do better to simply act as a warning to others about this one person, much as the OP seemed to intend. But let's not let that get in the way of a CG thread inevitable course to stupidtown.

Is Lockville on this train route?

I haven't been there in a while and I miss the place. :(

i've dealt with keith in the past. after reading the article what are the chances if convicted he looses his veterinarian's licence? some drugs used on animals can be used recreationally on humans. isn't it like an attorney, doctor or PA that run ins with the law can result in you being suspended if not barred.

i know that the woman shown is his second wife? keith told me once he was paying alimony out the be-hind to wife number #1 for many years and that he has several kids with her. hence the reason he cut way back on his buy and sold off some of his high graded keys.

I'm also wondering how Doug Schmell is going to take this considering he and Keith were good friends and Keith put many books on Doug's site.

its his 3rd wife

keith has 2 sons by his 2nd wife

This is a bummer.

I hope you have documentation because a similar thing happened to my parents with a business partner. There was more money involved, but it was (1) basically his word against their word, (2) a lawsuit would have been more expensive, and (3) even if they won there was no guarantee that they would ever see any awards from a judgment.

I hope this story does have a happy ending...

i do have some emails and one where Keith actually says "he's sorry that he dipped into my funds" but he didnt say how much he took

You missed some fun in the Modern section.

-slym

Which one of you is Larry and Moe? I already know which one is curly.

I wish both the OP and Keith the best. I hope the OP gets his money back and Keith gets his life straight.

I've met Keith once. We both were doing some writing for Comic Book Marketplace and he had purchased stuff from me, I purchased stuff from him. He was one strict grader...

We talked on the phone any number of times. One family vacation we were passing through Atlanta. I asked if he would be interested in meeting for lunch. And would he mind giving my teenage daughter - who thought she'd like to be vet - a tour of his vetenarian office. He said sure.

On the tour there was a dog laying on a table with an IV in it looking dead as a rock. Just getting it's teeth cleaned. Between that sight and the blood my daughter lost all desire to be vet.

Lunch was nice. Keith was certainly an atypical comic book collector/dealer. He was super fit. A body builder. The resturant we ate at had a couple of pictures of him on the wall in body building contests. Educated, well spoken, nice looking and physically cut. My wife was impressed.

I'll be praying for both of you.

Wow!! Heard I was getting slammed here. I read through some of the 10 pages and although I can't talk specifically about my case there is so much misinformation on these boards I will address that.

First, I intend for Ben to get every penny of his money back. I've also made him a beneficiary on my Life Insurance policy just in case anything happens to me.

Second. I'm insulted to be lumped with people in this hobby that trimmed books, restored them etc. in an attempt to bilk everyone in the entire hobby. My dealings are with one person only. The negatives on Ebay all came about while I was in jail and,obviously, could not mail out books. Every one of those people have gotten all their money back including postage, or their items, or both. One of the negatives was from someone that never even paid. He was pissed I didn't answer his email. Another was over a book that cost $1.99, another for some cards worth about $4. Ebay's policies have gotten ridiculous and so anti-seller it's a wonder anybody still sells there. But that's another story

Third. I defy anybody in this hobby to stand up and say I ripped them off on any deal over the past 45 years. Anybody.

Fourth. I'd remind everybody that you're still innocent until proven guilty in this country. The way the system works, the Police arrest anybody they please and throw as many charges as p[ossible against them hoping some will stick. They knew full well I was a Veterinarian with a valid license and DEA Registration but cared less. They took my entire inventory of medications I use in my mobile practice and charged me with a violation of Georgia's Controlled Substance Act for every one. Every medication was either locked in my safe or in my room which is locked when I'm not there. Some of the medications I was charged with are Pepcid, Benadryl, Dramamine, 3 antibiotics, 2 antacids, 2 anti-fungals. Some you don't even need a prescription for. Almost none were controlled except those locked in the safe. Every medication they seized I have purchase orders for and records where they were used and what for. None are for my personal use or for the use by any other person.

Fifth The illegal drugs found were a miniscule amount with a street value of around $150. They weren't mine and I have no idea how they ended up in my house (well, actually I do but can't talk about it)

Sixth I don't use Meth or Heroin. I have an Adderral prescription and my own pain medications. I go to a pain clinic and have since my neck was operated on in 2011. I get drug tested every month. My picture WAS pretty wasn't it? You should see my wife's and step daughter's. I don't know how they do it but they can take anybody and make them look like a drug addict/terrorist/child molester etc.

Seventh People are confusing what was found in my bedroom and what was in my step daughters. No weed, alcohol, pills in a baggie, paraphenalia in my room. The non-drug items found in my room have been sent to a lab. I can't say more other than I hope they aren't lost as the police are going to look stupid.

Eight The Police trashed my house. I doubt they cleaned anything up afterwards. I spent 3 days cleaning and found none of the things they say were strewn all over my house. Needles were inside syringes or in a sharps container. The only pills on the floor I found were Benadryl.

Nine The child cruelty charge comes from an alleged tape they have of my wife, step-daughter, and me in the back of a police car. The police had taken this poor kid and made her sit down in the driveway and shown a bright light in her face for over 45 minutes. They wouldn't let her mother or I near her. By the time she was arrested she was a wreck and hyperventilating. The entire ride to jail we tried to calm her down. I told her not to talk to the police without her father or attorney present. the police wrote that in the report as if I had done something wrong by telling her she had a right to representation.

Ten. Neither my wife nor I have ever given any of the kids any illegal or legal drug or any tobacco or alcohol. Rules in the house this summer were simple. In the house no drugs no alcohol, NO WEED< NO WEED, NO WEED. I wanted nothing anybody could smell for obvious reasons. At midnight, if they were under 18 and staying, I called their parents and took the car keys. Anyone over 18 either left or I took the keys. No"coming and going". I had hoped to give them a place where they would be safe and off the streets. Was I monitoring them while they were inside? Apparantly not closely enough.

Eleven. My house is in foreclosure. I have been slammed in the local media and slandered by other veterinarians. I got to spend 30 wonderful days locked up, the first 8 without my glasses which for some reason the police would not let me take with me

Twelve. I still haven't seen the search warrant and we were not allowed to watch the Police destroy my home. This was for their protection they said. I guess 12 armed Police officers had a lot to fear from an out of shape 62 year old man and his wife. The official report filed is almost a complete fabrication

Thirteen We will never go to Court. The system is set up to plea bargain everything to avoid Court. I can't plea to any felony charges as I would lose my license. No prosecutor in his or her right mind will want to try this after they get all the information.

Fouteen. Yes, Ben and I have had an arrangement. I have been buying and selling books for him for at least 15 years. I have received no compensation at all for any of this until the past 2 years when he found a collection here in the States. After he had bought all the early Marvels and I sold them for him either myself or through auction houses, he decided to cut me in for 30% of the rest. I'm not complaining but wonder what 30% of all the early books would have been. Certainly 5 figures and possibly more than $26,000. I can say this:had I charged him 10% for all the books I bought and sold for him over the years would have amounted to much more than $26,000. I'm not saying I don't owe him any money just because I've done a lot of sales for him for free. Just saying it's been conveniently forgotten by him and not mentioned anywhere. As I learned in jail, people you've known for years all of a sudden forget anything nice you've done for them when things go wrong. Your circle of friends is smaller than you think

I don't intend to come back here to defend myself. As someone pointed out; I have other things to do right now. Those of you that know me should know the legal charges I have pending are ridiculous but they are serious and I have to defend myself which is costing a small fortune. This will delay me paying Ben back but he will be paid.

Keith Contarino

I, for one, wish you the best in overcoming this situation and hope that once you're past it and have payed what you owe and so on, that your name will be "cleared" in people's minds. As this thread is evidence of, though, it's easy to jump to conclusions based on limited and one-sided information and bad associations like this can be tricky to erase. Perhaps this large thread yielded a small lesson about not jumping to conclusions, at least.

P.S. In fairness, I should say that you coming here and defending yourself doesn't offer any definitive proof one way anymore than the previous news article and claims of stolen money did the other way in the first place. But personally I don't think the person some people in this thread assumed you to be would write the post above. And like I said in my first post, I prefer to presume innocence and give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise. And that article was definitely not proof in my eyes, as I outlined in my first post.