• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP KEITH CONTARINO - CONDOLENCES to his family+ friends

340 posts in this topic

Unfortunately, cops are some of the most corrupt people in this world.

:facepalm: discriminate much? *sigh*

Yeah, that was uncalled for. We have board members who serve on police forces across the continent.

I live in a small town and I believe we have the best cops in the country working in our town. They're not there to throw the book at you. They're awesome, friendly, honest, realistic.

Wow, I phrased that terribly. I don't consider all cops corrupt. When something goes down they're the first people I call. I apologize.

So basically what I meant is, cops enforce the law and if theres one that takes advantage of that. It can be bad. It's not common but it does happen. Corruption happens in politics, corporations, you name it. Part of life.

You know phill,there are a few Police officers on the boards here.Why don't you ask them what they think of your statement?

The police anywhere are humans (as far as I know), and therefore are not perfect. Like many other professions, there are some better ones, some worse ones, some who take advantage of situations, some who are outright criminals, and some who are getting better and some who are getting worse, and some who are a mix of these things.

Linking these charges to cops being 'corrupt' is near insane. Now there may be bad evidence, faulty investigating, and/or discriminatory practices, but its near impossible to draw a link to 'corruption'. But I guess that's only if you view the definition of 'corruption' the same way that everyone else on the planet does.

I'm not sure what a cop could hope to gain by framing or falsely accusing a veterinarian comic book collector of letting children drink or do drugs in his house. Would someone bribe the cops to falsely accuse them? Would the cops be jealous of the vet for some reason? Did cops steal the $26,000? Did the cops move my cheese? But it sounds like you're more of an expert on the topic, so I guess I'll defer to your explanation.

Note: I'm not saying there aren't corrupt cops out there, I believe there to be. And there certainly are parts of the justice system as a whole and in specifics that are flawed and in many cases unfair and outright unethical. But to blame this all on 'cops are corrupt' doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I was not implying these were corrupt cops. Based on Keiths statements saying everything was totally exaggerated, I don't consider it far fetched. It can happen. Exaggerated and corrupt are two totally different things. So I used the wrong words.

You know phill,there are a few Police officers on the boards here.Why don't you ask them what they think of your statement?

The police anywhere are humans (as far as I know), and therefore are not perfect. Like many other professions, there are some better ones, some worse ones, some who take advantage of situations, some who are outright criminals, and some who are getting better and some who are getting worse, and some who are a mix of these things.

Linking these charges to cops being 'corrupt' is near insane. Now there may be bad evidence, faulty investigating, and/or discriminatory practices, but its near impossible to draw a link to 'corruption'. But I guess that's only if you view the definition of 'corruption' the same way that everyone else on the planet does.

I'm not sure what a cop could hope to gain by framing or falsely accusing a veterinarian comic book collector of letting children drink or do drugs in his house. Would someone bribe the cops to falsely accuse them? Would the cops be jealous of the vet for some reason? Did cops steal the $26,000? Did the cops move my cheese? But it sounds like you're more of an expert on the topic, so I guess I'll defer to your explanation.

Note: I'm not saying there aren't corrupt cops out there, I believe there to be. And there certainly are parts of the justice system as a whole and in specifics that are flawed and in many cases unfair and outright unethical. But to blame this all on 'cops are corrupt' doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I was not implying these were corrupt cops. Based on Keiths statements saying everything was totally exaggerated, I don't consider it far fetched. It can happen. Exaggerated and corrupt are two totally different things. So I used the wrong words.

Burt Reynolds agrees and would like to have beers with you for being kind enough to tell his tale in your original post:

tumblr_mgr4wj893k1qedb29o1_500.gif

Wow!! Heard I was getting slammed here. I read through some of the 10 pages and although I can't talk specifically about my case there is so much misinformation on these boards I will address that.

First, I intend for Ben to get every penny of his money back. I've also made him a beneficiary on my Life Insurance policy just in case anything happens to me.

Second. I'm insulted to be lumped with people in this hobby that trimmed books, restored them etc. in an attempt to bilk everyone in the entire hobby. My dealings are with one person only. The negatives on Ebay all came about while I was in jail and,obviously, could not mail out books. Every one of those people have gotten all their money back including postage, or their items, or both. One of the negatives was from someone that never even paid. He was pissed I didn't answer his email. Another was over a book that cost $1.99, another for some cards worth about $4. Ebay's policies have gotten ridiculous and so anti-seller it's a wonder anybody still sells there. But that's another story

Third. I defy anybody in this hobby to stand up and say I ripped them off on any deal over the past 45 years. Anybody.

Fourth. I'd remind everybody that you're still innocent until proven guilty in this country. The way the system works, the Police arrest anybody they please and throw as many charges as p[ossible against them hoping some will stick. They knew full well I was a Veterinarian with a valid license and DEA Registration but cared less. They took my entire inventory of medications I use in my mobile practice and charged me with a violation of Georgia's Controlled Substance Act for every one. Every medication was either locked in my safe or in my room which is locked when I'm not there. Some of the medications I was charged with are Pepcid, Benadryl, Dramamine, 3 antibiotics, 2 antacids, 2 anti-fungals. Some you don't even need a prescription for. Almost none were controlled except those locked in the safe. Every medication they seized I have purchase orders for and records where they were used and what for. None are for my personal use or for the use by any other person.

Fifth The illegal drugs found were a miniscule amount with a street value of around $150. They weren't mine and I have no idea how they ended up in my house (well, actually I do but can't talk about it)

Sixth I don't use Meth or Heroin. I have an Adderral prescription and my own pain medications. I go to a pain clinic and have since my neck was operated on in 2011. I get drug tested every month. My picture WAS pretty wasn't it? You should see my wife's and step daughter's. I don't know how they do it but they can take anybody and make them look like a drug addict/terrorist/child molester etc.

Seventh People are confusing what was found in my bedroom and what was in my step daughters. No weed, alcohol, pills in a baggie, paraphenalia in my room. The non-drug items found in my room have been sent to a lab. I can't say more other than I hope they aren't lost as the police are going to look stupid.

Eight The Police trashed my house. I doubt they cleaned anything up afterwards. I spent 3 days cleaning and found none of the things they say were strewn all over my house. Needles were inside syringes or in a sharps container. The only pills on the floor I found were Benadryl.

Nine The child cruelty charge comes from an alleged tape they have of my wife, step-daughter, and me in the back of a police car. The police had taken this poor kid and made her sit down in the driveway and shown a bright light in her face for over 45 minutes. They wouldn't let her mother or I near her. By the time she was arrested she was a wreck and hyperventilating. The entire ride to jail we tried to calm her down. I told her not to talk to the police without her father or attorney present. the police wrote that in the report as if I had done something wrong by telling her she had a right to representation.

Ten. Neither my wife nor I have ever given any of the kids any illegal or legal drug or any tobacco or alcohol. Rules in the house this summer were simple. In the house no drugs no alcohol, NO WEED< NO WEED, NO WEED. I wanted nothing anybody could smell for obvious reasons. At midnight, if they were under 18 and staying, I called their parents and took the car keys. Anyone over 18 either left or I took the keys. No"coming and going". I had hoped to give them a place where they would be safe and off the streets. Was I monitoring them while they were inside? Apparantly not closely enough.

Eleven. My house is in foreclosure. I have been slammed in the local media and slandered by other veterinarians. I got to spend 30 wonderful days locked up, the first 8 without my glasses which for some reason the police would not let me take with me

Twelve. I still haven't seen the search warrant and we were not allowed to watch the Police destroy my home. This was for their protection they said. I guess 12 armed Police officers had a lot to fear from an out of shape 62 year old man and his wife. The official report filed is almost a complete fabrication

Thirteen We will never go to Court. The system is set up to plea bargain everything to avoid Court. I can't plea to any felony charges as I would lose my license. No prosecutor in his or her right mind will want to try this after they get all the information.

Fouteen. Yes, Ben and I have had an arrangement. I have been buying and selling books for him for at least 15 years. I have received no compensation at all for any of this until the past 2 years when he found a collection here in the States. After he had bought all the early Marvels and I sold them for him either myself or through auction houses, he decided to cut me in for 30% of the rest. I'm not complaining but wonder what 30% of all the early books would have been. Certainly 5 figures and possibly more than $26,000. I can say this:had I charged him 10% for all the books I bought and sold for him over the years would have amounted to much more than $26,000. I'm not saying I don't owe him any money just because I've done a lot of sales for him for free. Just saying it's been conveniently forgotten by him and not mentioned anywhere. As I learned in jail, people you've known for years all of a sudden forget anything nice you've done for them when things go wrong. Your circle of friends is smaller than you think

I don't intend to come back here to defend myself. As someone pointed out; I have other things to do right now. Those of you that know me should know the legal charges I have pending are ridiculous but they are serious and I have to defend myself which is costing a small fortune. This will delay me paying Ben back but he will be paid.

Keith Contarino

...... I tried allowing my step son and his friends to use our shed as a hang out several years ago. It turned out to be a VERY bad idea. Things weren't too bad until the mysterious 20 somethings started turning up .... Cody was just 13.....made worse by the fact I was working nights at the time. It turned out to be a real battle that ended with our being evicted. Teenagers can be very sneaky and deceptive..... especially the friends. Real sorry to hear this. I'm sure you meant well in the beginning. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This is all very complicated the OP is out $26000

Keith is loosing his house job and likely everything else after the courts are done with him

A leally nice mess with no good ending in sight

I think it is fair to say that when this ends the stories will be different from all sides and the $26000 will be poof

Just cant end well

:(

Asset Forfeiture

Listened to a entire program on CBC explaining the U.S. system of Forfeiture and how they usually target business and properties with no mortgage. Also the traffic "shake down" stops are now "supposedly" common place.

Hotel Forfeiture

Hopefully the gentlemen who had his home gone through from the authorities has a mortgage, if not this also may be part of the reason for the bust. hm

Fouteen. Yes, Ben and I have had an arrangement. I have been buying and selling books for him for at least 15 years. I have received no compensation at all for any of this until the past 2 years when he found a collection here in the States. After he had bought all the early Marvels and I sold them for him either myself or through auction houses, he decided to cut me in for 30% of the rest. I'm not complaining but wonder what 30% of all the early books would have been. Certainly 5 figures and possibly more than $26,000. I can say this:had I charged him 10% for all the books I bought and sold for him over the years would have amounted to much more than $26,000. I'm not saying I don't owe him any money just because I've done a lot of sales for him for free. Just saying it's been conveniently forgotten by him and not mentioned anywhere. As I learned in jail, people you've known for years all of a sudden forget anything nice you've done for them when things go wrong. Your circle of friends is smaller than you think

I don't intend to come back here to defend myself. As someone pointed out; I have other things to do right now. Those of you that know me should know the legal charges I have pending are ridiculous but they are serious and I have to defend myself which is costing a small fortune. This will delay me paying Ben back but he will be paid.

Keith Contarino

to clarify this point made by keith:

keith had been buying and selling comics @ no charge for me for15 years, true.

He did not mention that i also gave him gifts of thanks including many valuable comics.

The collection i found, keith had been getting a very generous 30 % cut from 2009 actually, NOT justt the last 2 years.

The majority of the more valuable comics were sold via an auction house and not by keith.

So essentially keith got 30 % for receiving the books, packing them and sending them to cgc and then to the auction house.

below is a link to the spidey 24 cgc 9.6 which sold in 2009, keith got 30% of that

http://www.comiclink.com/text/2009-11recordpricesrealized.htm

again, i hope keith can work things out and move on

That and the avengers 4 information are very interesting...

That certainly puts a different spin on the idea that essentially 'no compensation' was received!

May I ask what the avengers 4 was sold for, or what the grade was?