• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RIP KEITH CONTARINO - CONDOLENCES to his family+ friends

340 posts in this topic

Roy how would you feel if it was your money?

Probably exactly the way Ben feels. Why do you ask? ???

I don't know, just found this comment rather odd "his biggest mistake was not communicating with Ben".

1st off, I think you're trying to get at something by asking me how I would feel. That's a silly question because the answer is obvious.

Second, you find my "comment rather odd" but you didn't find it rather odd when Chris said pretty much the exact same thing?

Are you looking for an argument over every post I make? :slapfight:

One thing you should think about, Ben hasn't been able to reach you for 3 months. If you had found a way to communicate with him, even to just explain what was going on, that you were forced to use his money but would make good on it, it would have avoided this entire discussion. His post, this thread, and the subsequent circus would have never come to pass.

Given your long relationship with Ben it seems he expected better communication.

The whole situation is unfortunate. As was mentioned before communication is the missing ingredient. As unfortunate as it was for the 30 day stay compliments of the city/state there are 2 months before that without communication.

No argument as this was my first post/comment about this issue?

So then why would you ask me how I feel when

a) I've already expressed my condolences and best wishes for Ben in this thread to get his money back

b) it's painfully obvious how anybody would feel in Ben's situation?

What were you getting at?

(shrug)

I think taking the money was his biggest mistake. In jail for a month but Ben didn't hear from him in 3 months+. You offered your 2 cents and I just gave mine. I hope Ben gets this resolved.

I was more commenting on that, if these two guys are friends, this entire thread could have been avoided through communication. That mistake lead to this thread.

Now if he converted the money he was supposed to be holding for Ben for his own use, without Ben's knowledge or consent, that would be much much worse than simply not answering his emails.

My original comment was related only to what led to this thread being started.

Im glad to hear from Keith on this mess. Even reading between the lines of his defense for an overstated case of "Im totally innocent!" this reads like the Keith we all know who has just been pushed thru the wringer... and not like a Walter White transformation into Scarface...

His mention of how one-sided his financial arrangement has been all these years is a bit tricky, but valid point IMO. Clearly, he's a big boy and was fine with doing the work for nothing, so its not great to bring it up now. But, if he goes down, and cannot repay the money, thats how the OP should and -- will have to -- look at it. In the course of a long relationship, he "profited" out of the friendship (wouldnt most dealers take a fee for buying and selling for a customer?) But Keith did not -- as a friend. So now, when Keith is in a bad way, Im sure the OP would find a way to -- as a friend -- take the long view, even though it wasn't supposed to work out this way.

I know I would (I think)

One thing is definite... Keith should have responded to the emails much earlier. And then none of us would ever be privy to any of this mess.

I think taking the money was his biggest mistake. In jail for a month but Ben didn't hear from him in 3 months+. You offered your 2 cents and I just gave mine. I hope Ben gets this resolved.

I was more commenting on that, if these two guys are friends, this entire thread could have been avoided through communication. That mistake lead to this thread.

Now if he converted the money he was supposed to be holding for Ben for his own use, without Ben's knowledge or consent, that would be much much worse than simply not answering his emails.

My original comment was related only to what led to this thread being started.

And mine too.

Obviously if he misappropriated someone else's money, that is the first and greatest mistake but I just assumed that went without saying.

Wow!! Heard I was getting slammed here. I read through some of the 10 pages and although I can't talk specifically about my case there is so much misinformation on these boards I will address that.

(snip)

Keith Contarino

Keith,

I'm going to assume you will keep tabs on what is said in order monitor misinformation and/or lies which could be spread about your case.

Thanks for replying. I'd like to think that me informing our mutual friend about this discussion led to you being aware that this thread existed.

To others,

It's quite apparent that people here do not know that when police bring forth their claims (false or not), they will seize everything they can connect as evidence including cash and property. It doesn't matter how benign the connection. If you took money out of the bank to buy a used motorcycle, they'll call it drug money. Once the charge is out there, you'll probably be looking at $50,000 worth of legal expenses conservatively and years of your life wasted. If you win, the "evidence" (even cash) may mysteriously come up missing and delay tactics will be used to avoid paying you back. They want you to give up or run out of money. The drug laws actually encourage arrested people to turn in other people they can arrest in exchange for a lesser sentence. The arrested person's lawyer will ask them "Is there anyone you can turn in (ie. 'throw under the bus')?" It doesn't matter if the person is guilty of anything or not. If someone you know gets arrested, they may accuse you and you'd better hope the landscaper did not stash anything illegal in the bushes while he cut your grass. The original poster has a right to be upset. If Keith had immediately been locked up and the key thrown away, the money would still be lost. The best case scenario for the original poster is that Keith win this case in a timely manner. Badmouthing Keith over unsubstantiated gossip doesn't help Keith at all nor does it help the original poster get his money back. I've only run into Keith once in the past decade and we spoke briefly, but I think what he said above speaks for itself.

DG

Wow!! Heard I was getting slammed here. I read through some of the 10 pages and although I can't talk specifically about my case there is so much misinformation on these boards I will address that.

(snip)

Keith Contarino

Keith,

I'm going to assume you will keep tabs on what is said in order monitor misinformation and/or lies which could be spread about your case.

Thanks for replying. I'd like to think that me informing our mutual friend about this discussion led to you being aware that this thread existed.

To others,

It's quite apparent that people here do not know that when police bring forth their claims (false or not), they will seize everything they can connect as evidence including cash and property. It doesn't matter how benign the connection. If you took money out of the bank to buy a used motorcycle, they'll call it drug money. Once the charge is out there, you'll probably be looking at $50,000 worth of legal expenses conservatively and years of your life wasted. If you win, the "evidence" (even cash) may mysteriously come up missing and delay tactics will be used to avoid paying you back. They want you to give up or run out of money. The drug laws actually encourage arrested people to turn in other people they can arrest in exchange for a lesser sentence. The arrested person's lawyer will ask them "Is there anyone you can turn in (ie. 'throw under the bus')?" It doesn't matter if the person is guilty of anything or not. If someone you know gets arrested, they may accuse you and you'd better hope the landscaper did not stash anything illegal in the bushes while he cut your grass. The original poster has a right to be upset. If Keith had immediately been locked up and the key thrown away, the money would still be lost. The best case scenario for the original poster is that Keith win this case in a timely manner. Badmouthing Keith over unsubstantiated gossip doesn't help Keith at all nor does it help the original poster get his money back. I've only run into Keith once in the past decade and we spoke briefly, but I think what he said above speaks for itself.

DG

It's a sad situation for everyone involved it seems.

If the OP's dates are correct he had been trying, without success, to contact Keith about his money for over a month before he was arrested. So I don't know if this is a "police seizure" situation necessarily. That information hasn't been given by anyone who would know.

Hope it works out quickly and painlessly for all involved.

Sorry, but one post to tell your story and not say how you plan on paying the OP back doesn't cut it. Not with that amount of money at stake. Totally shady, tale of two cities up in this thread; I'd like to hear how the cops describe the situation as your descriptions down-play everything and you are just the victim. I've been around the block enough to know better, anyone else feel the same way? IMHO, he should be banned until he repays the OP.

Jerome

Sorry, but one post to tell your story and not say how you plan on paying the OP back doesn't cut it. Not with that amount of money at stake. Totally shady, tale of two cities up in this thread; I'd like to hear how the cops describe the situation as your descriptions down-play everything and you are just the victim. I've been around the block enough to know better, anyone else feel the same way? IMHO, he should be banned until he repays the OP.

Jerome

Oops

This seems to be something Barry Cooper would know more about.

But yeah, the list of drugs makes me think most of these are trumped up charges.

Wouldn't be the first time the AMERICAN drug war has put someone in jail for no reason. 2c

Jerome

Unfortunately, cops are some of the most corrupt people in this world. Nothing is ever far fetched with them. Especially down South, that's one place I'd be petrified if I was arrested.

Try this FAKE scenario, I was driving down south and have NY plates(out of towner). I stop at a hotel/bar on the way down to Florida. I bang a chick I meet at the bar in my hotel room. Come to find out it was the wife of a cops brother. Word gets out before I leave. Id be pulled over, searched(illegally but they will say I'm swerving or smell weed), and an unlicensed gun(planted on me) would be in my pocket before I left that town. My word against the "good old law." I'm a goner, meanwhile I'm innocent. I'd be telling my story and people like you would be saying, "PLAYING THE VICTIM, BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD." See how easy it is for cops?

I saw that movie...Burt Reynolds....Sally Field....but he didn't let himself get pulled over...the Bandit put the pedal to the metal.