• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Care to admit your worst "speculator" Blunder ?

154 posts in this topic

The only time I ever buy a 2nd+ copy of a new book is if I've forgotten that I already have the 1st copy.

That being said I did pick up 3 copies of Uncanny X-Men 186(BWS issue? - storm/forge issue) because I just loved BWS's style and colors. I figured they were worth taking up some long box space. Still got them and they're still pretty to look at. screwy.gif

When I was about 16 I traded an ASM # 102 (ish that had Spidey with 4 arms) for a DC Battle Classics # 1! foreheadslap.gif

Just 'cause it was a first issue I thought it would be worth more, this was before my first Overstreet!

Back in the early 90's I only collected Marvel, and a few D.C. books. After seeing the first issues of Image (Spawn, Youngblood, Gen 13, etc.) and Valiant (Magnus, Harbinger, etc.) go up in value, I decided to jump on the bandwagon. By that time, these books were well into their runs so I decided to buy the first issues of the new Defiant (Warriors of Plasm (3 copies), Charlamaigne, etc.) and Malibu (Mantra, Exiles, Sludge, etc.) comics instead. I also bought most of the Gen13 ongoing title thinking it would go up in value. It's safe to say that these books are pretty much garbage now.

When I was 16, the LCS had a beautiful copy of X-Men #1 in NM, with an asking price of 300 bucks. I agonized over it, and then spent the money on a brand-spanking new paintbal gun. Had lots of fun with that gun, playing on a team with a bunch of other kids, but now....... man I wish I bought that comic!! I still remember seeing it, and how nice it was!

Well I hardly ever buy more than one copy of a book, but DID do it on three occasions..

Bought 5 copies of Origin #1 thumbsup2.gif

Bought 5 copies of ASM v2 #36 thumbsup2.gif

and...

bought 10 copies of Wolverine The End #1....

And let me tell you, another Origin it is not sorry.gif

not a speculator blunder ... but i did trade a page of wrightson art from Swamp Thing #4 with the werewolf for some [!@#%^&^] golden age books I don't even have anymore.... screwy.gifforeheadslap.gifChristo_pull_hair.gif

Ouch shiver. foreheadslap.gif

I was fortunate not to be collecting in the 90's, otherwise, I would probably have long boxes full of speculative [!@#%^&^] that isn't worth anything.

I do have about 20 Wizard 1/2s I bought for half of what Wizard said they were worth at the time (2001). makepoint.gif They aren't worth much of anything now.

I've been saved by the fact that for every 3 worthless comics I've bought at cover price, I have sets of USM, UXM, Origin, along with a copies of ASM 36v2, Sojourn #1 (bought one off the shelf and sold for $57 on eBay devil.gif).

Thank god for limited print runs!

When I was 16, the LCS had a beautiful copy of X-Men #1 in NM, with an asking price of 300 bucks. I agonized over it, and then spent the money on a brand-spanking new paintbal gun. Had lots of fun with that gun, playing on a team with a bunch of other kids, but now....... man I wish I bought that comic!! I still remember seeing it, and how nice it was!

I don't know, it sounds like you had a really fun time with your friends there! Don't be so quick to trade in the good times in your life!

I''ve never made a big speculation blunder in terms of buying the dud books (OK, I did buy a copy of the foil cover version of Battle of the Planets thinking it would be the next Transformers), but my blunders usually come in the form of selling them at the wrong time, either by bad luck or bad timing. Or not selling them at all, due to laziness.

There's also my reverse-blunder of being too cautious or dismissive because I don't personally like a book. I didn't get a single copy of Ultimate Spider-man #1 because I didn't read Spider-man (of course I do now). This is my most grating blunder. My LCS ordered hundreds and hundreds of copies, and I couldnt be bothered to get a single one. Then as the price started rising I figured it was hot but wasn't going to pay $6 for a book I could've gotten for $3 in the weeks before.

But I must say I've done pretty well with the segment of the hobby on the whole because I'm very selective in what I get into. I'd rather pay double cover for a book on it's way way up than 25% off cover for all the books that people speculate on that go nowhere.

Blutobc....I love your sig line......what's the source?

Glad you liked my signature line.

remember that "friends don't let friends build autonomous indestructable robots who have a father/Oedipal complex, and also enjoys destroying entire countries for fun"

It is pure Blutobc stuff. During the buildup to Avengers 500 and the thought of some of the team biting the dust, I was thinking of how Ultron was about the worst mistake they made. It's like every comic book scientist feels he must build this thinking robot with the understanding that it will NEVER - EVER - NEVER turn against him....Yeah right. No wonder Hank Pym is a loon. How many deaths is he responsible for over the years?

As far as thinking robots I'll take Asamov's(sp?) "3 laws of robotics" stories anyday.