• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Potential of New Mutants 98 to be the future Hulk 181/ asm129

43 posts in this topic

Consider the possibility of New Mutants 98 accelerating in value to become the modern age H181 or ASM129 in another decade or??

Also see

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7064986#Post7064986

I doubt it but there is no telling really!

basically with what other folks already said I don't have much to add.

I think NM 98 in high grade 9.8 is just too easy to find. there is like what, at least 700 9.8's now?

If there is any book that is the modern age H181/ASM129 from the copper age period it's probably ASM 300.

TMNT #1 is also a good one.

also you never know what trends will occur over the years. maybe TM finally makes another Spawn movie and Image keys start blowing up...

maybe Neil gaiman wins a nobel peace price and a flood of vertigo movies change cinemas forever...

perhaps Jim Shooter and Bob layton's Valiant universe blows up and X-O manowar becomes the cooler version of Iron Man...

:)

I know you are just throwing examples out, but considering the "Superhero" craze in movies right now, I'm really surprised one of the other studios (besides Fox or Sony) isn't talking to somebody about a few Valiant licenses right now...

It is already price-wise ASM 129ish...sure, a VG+ copy probably won't fetch $150, but for NM 98, VF+ is the equivalent of VG+ considering most copies of NM 98 are going to be in decent shape...not so much for 129.

no on hulk 181. wolverine is iconic. few who who don't read comics know who deadpool is (and if they saw the wolverine movie with him they forgot about him pretty quickly). the deadpool movie will likely go nowhere because not enough non-comic nerds know the character (see, e.g., Elektra)

I don't if it's an age gap thing or what but these comments consistently blow my mind. The character has a huge cult following and not just with "comic nerds". He had his very own video game in 2013. His appeal has reached past comics and gone into fans of cartoons and video games as well. Most adolescent/teenage boys know who Deadpool is. He very well could end up as the next generations Wolverine. Personally I can take or leave him and I cashed out my last copy at $250, because I'm a bird in hand kind of guy, but people are betting on this movie being a stepping stone to toward Deadpool becoming a household name. My mother in law knows who Wolverine is. She doesn't know who Deadpool is. Once she does.... :)

By the by, the guy who bought my last NM 98........ a video game guy. He'd never bought a comic before in his life but he LOVES Deadpool (thumbs u

Consider the possibility of New Mutants 98 accelerating in value to become the modern age H181 or ASM129 in another decade or??

Also see

http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=7064986#Post7064986

I think NM 98 in high grade 9.8 is just too easy to find. there is like what, at least 700 9.8's now?

If there is any book that is the modern age H181/ASM129 from the copper age period it's probably ASM 300.

also you never know what trends will occur over the years. maybe TM finally makes another Spawn movie and Image keys start blowing up...

maybe Neil gaiman wins a nobel peace price and a flood of vertigo movies change cinemas forever...

perhaps Jim Shooter and Bob layton's Valiant universe blows up and X-O manowar becomes the cooler version of Iron Man...

I know you are just throwing examples out, but considering the "Superhero" craze in movies right now, I'm really surprised one of the other studios (besides Fox or Sony) isn't talking to somebody about a few Valiant licenses right now...

Probably because that superhero craze is mostly a Marvel driven craze. And it is doubtful Disney is going to give up any properties anytime soon for other studios to make money off them.

Also see

Maybe they have but there's just not the right deal in place right now.

I think there is an Archer & Armstrong movie in the works currently.

And with Fox having control of movie Deadpool, maybe they weave him into their X-Men movie layout or maybe they keep Deadpool by himself in his own little (4th) world.

He is popular but a dud of a movie could put a large roadblock in this guy's momentum.

Bronze age?

You have to love the logic of speculators, you really do. This was most likely placed in the Bronze Age forum because they see ths book as equally important as ASM 129, GS X-Men 1 or even Hulk 181.

I have no reason to offer an opinion, but like I always suggest speculators need to do their homework. There are over 4,000 copies of this book graded in universal grade at 9.8 alone.

Much like the individual who noted that X-Men 94 was valued the same as Action Comics 1 several decades after its release, all similarities end there. There are way too many copies of this book for it to have any kind of real value when compared to GS X-Men 1 and related Bronze Age keys. Just like there are only TWO copies of Action Comics 1 in 9.0; the highest recorded grade. Which is why your X-Men 94 will never be a hundred thousand dollar book, let alone a million dollar book, but you can keep dreaming.

After all if speculators really did the necessary research needed to arrive at their flawed conclusions would they really be speculating on comic books in the first place?

Just remember that even Transformers 1 was close to being a $1000 book in 9.8 at one time, but that party didn't last too long. The true test of NM 98 comes after the movie is released. The book will always be a copper age key. At which price point is anyone's guess.

Bronze age?

You have to love the logic of speculators, you really do. This was most likely placed in the Bronze Age forum because they see ths book as equally important as ASM 129, GS X-Men 1 or even Hulk 181.

I have no reason to offer an opinion, but like I always suggest speculators need to do their homework. There are over 4,000 copies of this book graded in universal grade at 9.8 alone.

Much like the individual who noted that X-Men 94 was valued the same as Action Comics 1 several decades after its release, all similarities end there. There are way too many copies of this book for it to have any kind of real value when compared to GS X-Men 1 and related Bronze Age keys. Just like there are only TWO copies of Action Comics 1 in 9.0; the highest recorded grade. Which is why your X-Men 94 will never be a hundred thousand dollar book, let alone a million dollar book, but you can keep dreaming.

After all if speculators really did the necessary research needed to arrive at their flawed conclusions would they really be speculating on comic books in the first place?

Just remember that even Transformers 1 was close to being a $1000 book in 9.8 at one time, but that party didn't last too long. The true test of NM 98 comes after the movie is released. The book will always be a copper age key. At which price point is anyone's guess.

How many copies of NM 98 graded at 9.8 at the moment? (shrug)

-J.

Didn't he just say over 4,000 (shrug)

That was total amount graded and it was MY mistake:

There are 4,946 total graded with 1,401 in 9.8.

That translates to about 28% of ALL submitted copies sitting in 9.8!

Now lets analyze this book using this infromation that is readily available on CGCdata.com (I give great thanks to the creator of this site and I think they may be a forum member).

There are 1,579 in 9.6!

As a result over HALF of all books graded are in 9.6 or better condition. Do you really want to speculate on a book with numbers like that and atempt to compare it with GS X-Men 1, Hulk 181, and ASM 129? Really?

Now lets analyze this book using this infromation that is readily available on CGCdata.com (I give great thanks to the creator of this site and I think they may be a forum member).

There are 1,579 in 9.6!

As a result over HALF of all books graded are in 9.6 or better condition. Do you really want to speculate on a book with numbers like that and atempt to compare it with GS X-Men 1, Hulk 181, and ASM 129? Really?

Really, only about 1 in 4 copies coming back a 9.8 or better, is a lower pull through rate percentage-wise than many, many other books from this age.

-J.

There are 1,579 in 9.6!

Really, only about 1 in 4 copies coming back a 9.8 or better, is a lower pull through rate percentage-wise than many, many other books from this age.

-J.

As should be expected when a book really pops - when the incentive is greatly increased, everyone submits everything. :)

There are 1,579 in 9.6!

-J.

As should be expected when a book really pops - when the incentive is greatly increased, everyone submits everything. :)

There is just one problem with your analysis, these census figures are reresentative as of right now. They don't reflect anything that may be sitting in the grading room or on its way to CGC as a result of the recent movie announcement. As a result we can expect a modest 'bump' in these numbers over time. That being said a large quantity of these books exist in 9.6 or above. I can't imagine why someone would buy a 9.4 with census numbers like this or even a 9.6! Then again it is obvious this book is being speculated on en masse. As someone I quote always says, "this too shall pass."

There are 1,579 in 9.6!

-J.

There is just one problem with your analysis, these census figures are reresentative as of right now. They don't reflect anything that may be sitting in the grading room or on its way to CGC as a result of the recent movie announcement. As a result we can expect a modest 'bump' in these numbers over time. That being said a large quantity of these books exist in 9.6 or above. I can't imagine why someone would buy a 9.4 with census numbers like this or even a 9.6! Then again it is obvious this book is being speculated on en masse. As someone I quote always says, "this too shall pass."

Well, I'm not supporting either position, but if you want to talk long-term trajectory . . . people are now proud to own even a 3.0 IH 181. (shrug)

There are 1,579 in 9.6!

-J.

Well, I'm not supporting either position, but if you want to talk long-term trajectory . . . people are now proud to own even a 3.0 IH 181. (shrug)

I would venture to say that the sole individual who has a NM 98 in 3.0 is also proud. Want to know why? Because out of all 4,946 copies in universal grade and even with almost half of those copies in 9.6 or better there is ONE SOLE 3.0 graded NM 98 making it quite RARE indeed!

There are 1,579 in 9.6!

-J.

I would venture to say that the sole individual who has a NM 98 in 3.0 is also proud. Want to know why? Because out of all 4,946 copies in universal grade and even with almost half of those copies in 9.6 or better there is ONE SOLE 3.0 graded NM 98 making it quite RARE indeed!

(thumbs u :applause:lol