• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The pros and cons of collecting CGC books

35 posts in this topic

There may of course be a set of rules that may help comic book ultra-nerds in living a successful family life:

1st RULE: On a date you do not talk about comic books.

2nd RULE: On a date you DO NOT talk about comic books.

3rd RULE: If the bank says "stop", do not buy any comic books.

4th RULE: If the bank says "stop", DO NOT use time payments.

5th RULE: One expensive book at a time.

6th RULE: Never increase your maximum bid a few minutes before the end.

7th RULE: NEVER let you spouse know how much you spend on comic books.

8th RULE: Do not spend too much time reading and writing posts at Collectors' Society.

Ok, I will be the first to admit it, I do talk a lot about comics, but mostly after I got married and my first son was born. Now she's kind of stuck with me :grin: And I have brainwashed her a bit by showing many episodes of Comic Book Men and Big Bang Theory :angel:

I get collecting certain books that have been CGC'd; such as a key or high quality Gold/Silver age book, or any really high grade or real key/hard to find books from later on such as TMNT #1 or possibly newer like Walking Dead #1, but the lunatics from the Modern board submitting any old like the New 52 3D covers or any Image #1 with the percieved notion that it makes them more valuable than any of the countless examples still available at cover price on Ebay just makes the mind boggle.

I am also buying a few books part as a collector and part as an investment instead of stocks. I think Comic Connect says a lot, when they write:

"WE ONLY SPECIALIZE IN COMICS MADE BEFORE 1976 - DO NOT SEND LISTS WITH COMICS FROM 1976 TO PRESENT"

Source: http://www.comicconnect.com/appraisals/

So generally there may be limited profit to be made from modern books, if any (apart from a few rare exceptions *cough!*Walking Dead *cough!*). My modern books are mostly con amore, like Dredd. If I should collect modern books for investment purposes, they'd primarily have to be 9.9's or 10's, many soon-too-retire speculants may be ready to release mountains of modern books within the next decades...

Argh, forgot some other cons, but maybe they are pros hm - keeping me super-alert and focused on daily activities: namely FedEx deliveries!

Here I get three chances, then the packages are driven to a storage location about 80 miles away (due to the value of the packages, I rarely accept that FedEx leaves them at the house). Thus I try to receive packages in person on days, where my sweet wife is not home to worry about their contents - so that I do not have to worry about her mood, when I enter the house :fear:

As some of you may already have thought, this is not always an easy task and may take some preparation and skills :o

And then US auctions always end at 3 or 4 AM here in Scandinavia, especially troublesome for auction sites where you cannot use sniper software. So normally I rely on my trusty cell phone to wake me a few minutes before an auction ends, and then the post-adrenaline-auction-rush keeps me awake to the early morning, totally ruining the following day zzz

And then there is the sinister "Darth Vader"-like Customs :pullhair: They do not consider CGC books as collectors' items, I even got them to discuss the issue on a grand international meeting with 22 participating countries. Seems like only England understood the issue and made it possible to import CGC books without paying 20-25% VAT. Here Customs explained to me, even if I bought Action Comics #1 CGC 9.0, they do not consider that book an important step in human evolution, thus it is not a collectors' item and 25% VAT will apply :mad: Sigh...

In short, the amount of trouble one has to deal with to collect these books is absolutely staggering :ohnoez:

But I would not miss it for the world :cloud9:

Guess another pro is that you sometimes get things and recognition you did not expect. Well, I knew this was coming, but still it was a great pleasure to open the mail today and see this award for the first time, thank you CGC:

photo 160920144012_zps628a2414.jpg

This is one of the best posts I have ever read. Interesting fact, all of the Pros listed are verified scientific truths while the cons are meaningless fascist propaganda.

I would also like to add withdrawal to the mix however. It has been about a month since I have purchased a comic and everything kinda sucks right now.

This is one of the best posts I have ever read. Interesting fact, all of the Pros listed are verified scientific truths while the cons are meaningless fascist propaganda.

I would also like to add withdrawal to the mix however. It has been about a month since I have purchased a comic and everything kinda sucks right now.

Thank you lol Yes, if we agree that collecting reduces stress, then you may now be in a very dangerous situation feeling the hammer of pure unrestricted stress!

Only one kind of medicine may provide relief - you need a new book! :idea:

:grin:

Guess another pro is that you sometimes get things and recognition you did not expect. Well, I knew this was coming, but still it was a great pleasure to open the mail today and see this award for the first time, thank you CGC:

Now that's cool!

Comics are hope for me. They have never deserted me, have never betrayed me. They give me entertainment. They give be back memories I had forgotten. They make the future seem bright. Once I am able to organize my collection better, then I will see about getting some slabs.

Now that's cool!

Thank you :) - the photo link is a bit advanced, only works with enabled html code.

Most of your CONs apply to comic collecting in general --- granted, it is harder to explain to your future wife how you collect comics, something she may be ok with so long as they (1) don't dominate your apartment (are neatly tucked away in your closet of shame); (2) don't impact your ability to spend money on her; and (3) aren't talked about AND you have them in cases that can't be opened up so you can't even look inside of them.

Most of your CONs apply to comic collecting in general --- granted, it is harder to explain to your future wife how you collect comics, something she may be ok with so long as they (1) don't dominate your apartment (are neatly tucked away in your closet of shame); (2) don't impact your ability to spend money on her; and (3) aren't talked about AND you have them in cases that can't be opened up so you can't even look inside of them.

Yes, and that is exactly why collecting wall-hung and framed original art is sooooo hard :ohnoez: The art pieces easily (1) dominate your home; (2) impact your ability to spend money on her; and (3) are talked about like "Oh, don't even think about hanging that art abomination on any wall" :whistle::grin: