• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

I'm re reading it tonight in TPB form !

Ya know, people can say what they want about how it "ruined death" in comics, or whatever else they want to lob at it. But every time I flip through Death of Superman tpb, I'll be damned if I'm not reminded that it really was one of the most exciting storylines in comics every time.

I liked that as the story was getting closer to concluding the number of panels reduced issue by issue

I was working at an LCS part time, and the line stretched around the block for the black bag edition..... demand was so strong that the owner asked us not to purchase copies for ourselves. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

will the black bag go up in price? finally?

There are many remaining/existing copies of that book, much more than any key from any prior era.

It is hard to see how a price based on supply and demand will go up significantly when the supply is so high.

On the other hand, if Superman dies in the movies... hm

Set photos from BvS showed mourners laying flowers at the site of the destroyed Superman statue that we've seen in the trailers. Hmm.....

I think the reporter that tells Clark it is Bruce Wayne that arrived in the new BvS trailer appeared in Superman 16 as a cameo, Superman 17 as a full.

How much monies can I make off these books now?

(:

I think the reporter that tells Clark it is Bruce Wayne that arrived in the new BvS trailer appeared in Superman 16 as a cameo, Superman 17 as a full.

(:

Does that reporter wear spandex and go by a code name?

(:

Robbie the Riveting Reporter - but he goes by Gary to keep it simple.

:ohnoez:

I'm re reading it tonight in TPB form !

Ya know, people can say what they want about how it "ruined death" in comics, or whatever else they want to lob at it. But every time I flip through Death of Superman tpb, I'll be damned if I'm not reminded that it really was one of the most exciting storylines in comics every time.

I liked that as the story was getting closer to concluding the number of panels reduced issue by issue

I was working at an LCS part time, and the line stretched around the block for the black bag edition..... demand was so strong that the owner asked us not to purchase copies for ourselves. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

will the black bag go up in price? finally?

Seems like it has creeped up to being a $10-$15 or so book, which is better than the $5-$10 I was seeing for years (and sometimes less. I bought five copies for $10 at a flea market last year) . My LCS is asking $20 for their two copies and haven't had any bites, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the market $20-$25 mark again if the movie is a big success. Whatever anyone thinks about the quality of the story, or the impact the book had on the hobby, there's no doubt a huge swath of folks out there that have nostalgia for the book.

At shows we pretty consistently get $25 for sealed copies of the black bag edition, and $10-15 for unsealed but complete copies that have all the stuff in the bag. Even the regular first prints of #75 are solid $10 books, but the black bagged copies move more quickly and steadily.

(:

Robbie the Riveting Reporter - but he goes by Gary to keep it simple.

:ohnoez:

He reports on 'rivets'? That's a very specialized beat.

Set photos from BvS showed mourners laying flowers at the site of the destroyed Superman statue that we've seen in the trailers. Hmm.....

Link? :o

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_431,w_587/t_mp_quality/uniforms-statue-batman-v-superman-new-set-images-reveal-the-ending-png-87125.png

There are others, but they're just of various set workers placing the flowers around the destroyed statue.

Sooo, without knowing the plot, if Superman doesn't actually die at the hands of Doomsday in the film, it sure looks like people *think* he's dead.

I know some will say the DOS story is premature, but I have no issue with it if it serves the Justice League storyline to incorporate the "return" yada yada yada.

Edited by Dexter85

http://images-cdn.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_431,w_587/t_mp_quality/uniforms-statue-batman-v-superman-new-set-images-reveal-the-ending-png-87125.png

There are others, but they're just of various set workers placing the flowers around the destroyed statue.

Yup. That started coming out a few months back, and people were already assuming Death of Superman because of the shattered statue and flowers.

Yup. That started coming out a few months back, and people were already assuming Death of Superman because of the shattered statue and flowers.

I'm going the other way. People start to worship Superman as a god. And Batman and/or Superman get fed up with it and shatter the statue.

When I first saw these photos (over a year ago) I was shocked more sites weren't picking it up. I mean, it's a pretty massive & glaring spoiler if it means what it looks like it means.

...Just checked ebay. Average price is around $170.00 for a 9.8 of MOS 18, with A LOT of new listings. Looks like it's already seeing a nice little price spike.

Edited by Dexter85

When I first saw these photos (over a year ago) I was shocked more sites weren't picking it up. I mean, it's a pretty massive & glaring spoiler if it means what it looks like it means.

Interesting. If they make it all the way to a dead Superman in this movie, it would seem the book to watch might be Superman #75 Platinum.

There are plenty of Superman #75... but only 10,000 of the platinum.

That's at least a 1:100 in today's terms, if not 1:200 or 1:300.

...Just checked ebay. Average price is around $170.00 for a 9.8 of MOS 18, with A LOT of new listings. Looks like it's already seeing a nice little price spike.

Then there were these scenes caught by fans hanging around the set in July.

Man who's the main villain, we know lex is just one of the two.

Metropolis Vehicles Ruined On BATMAN v SUPERMAN Set

BtrLr2AIQAAGyLh.jpg

BtrlNKyIUAA6Wla.jpg

Like something big had walked across these vehicles.

Interesting. If they make it all the way to a dead Superman in this movie, it would seem the book to watch might be Superman #75 Platinum.

I hope you're right, seeing how not long ago I invested in a 9.8 Superman 75 Platinum. DOS TPB Platinum might be another one to watch, if Superman does in fact bite the dust in this film. Only 4,500 of those suckers.

BtrLr2AIQAAGyLh.jpg

BtrlNKyIUAA6Wla.jpg

As cool as would be to have Doomsday on film for the first time, it would be nice if he actually did kill, or appear to kill, Superman. Otherwise he'd basically be neat looking throw-away character. The whole reason he's as renowned the way he is, is because he's the dude who "killed" Superman. Based on these set photos, the powers that be hopefully understand that.

I hope you're right, seeing how not long ago I invested in a 9.8 Superman 75 Platinum. DOS TPB Platinum might be another one to watch, if Superman does in fact bite the dust in this film. Only 4,500 of those suckers.

True, but the TPB always represents a (much) later reprinting, which doesn't really capture the "legitimacy" of first printings.

As cool as would be to have Doomsday on film for the first time, it would be nice if he actually did kill, or appear to kill, Superman. Otherwise he'd basically be neat looking throw-away character. The whole reason he's as renowned the way he is, is because he's the dude who "killed" Superman. Based on these set photos, the powers that be hopefully understand that.

The end of Man of Steel was Superman deciding that he must sacrifice someone else to save others.

It's reasonable that the end of Batman v Superman could be Superman deciding that he must sacrifice himself to save others.

It would also give the Justice League something (legitimate) to be doing, since the world would be relying upon them in a "world without Superman".

BtrLr2AIQAAGyLh.jpg

BtrlNKyIUAA6Wla.jpg

Theres gotta be a better way of saying this

The end of Man of Steel was Superman deciding that he must sacrifice someone else to save others.

It's reasonable that the end of Batman v Superman could be Superman deciding that he must sacrifice himself to save others.

It would also give the Justice League something (legitimate) to be doing, since the world would be relying upon them in a "world without Superman".

There are some other neat little hints here and there from the sets. Ben Affleck was spotted filming at the Smallville Cemetery set. Also on call? Diane Lane (Martha Kent) and Any Adams (Lois). Perhaps a small little private funeral for the few who knew the truth?

Might also be an interesting twist to have Batman standing above Superman's grave and having and "aha!" moment, just like Clark did at the end of TDKR.

Just spitballing, but some cool things to consider...

Theres gotta be a better way of saying this

Haha, I did consider the wording, however sloppily. :P