• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

I was wondering.....

So, how much truth do you suppose there is to the Zod/Doomsday rumor?

Why else would they show Zod in the trailer? There's got to be some legs to this rumor.

If they go the Zod/doomsday route, do you suppose Doomsday will have a Zod resemblance?

It's pretty much a given now that Doomsday is in BvS. And I've noticed MOS18 has been creeping up in value. No big jumps but definitely rising. I wonder if it'll return to where it was a couple years ago.

My MOS #18 9.8WP first print will be delivered to the house on Monday! I wonder what the ceiling for this book will be once Doomsday is officially revealed as the villain. There are currently 955 in 9.8, with 5 in 9.9.

I would guess that the ceiling is partially set by other DC Comics from that era with lower print runs but high demand. For example, Batman Adventures #12 has a lower print than Man of Steel #18, and Harley Quinn is more popular than Doomsday. As a result, I would not expect Man of Steel #18 to even (ever?) come close to the value of Batman Adventures #12. Man of Steel #17 is an interesting case because there is much, much less Doomsday in Man of Steel #17 than there is Wolverine in Hulk #180, but for now, Man of Steel #17 has a higher price. What is that higher price for MoS #17 based on? It's not based on the amount of Doomsday in the book. lol

It's likely that Man of Steel #17 has a premium (for now) over Man of Steel #18 due to the fewer number of CGC graded copies for #17. If both books had similar CGC census numbers, we would likely see Man of Steel #18 with a higher price because it is the first "full Doomsday". That's an interesting situation though, because Doomsday "appears" throughout Man of Steel #18, but he's always covered by his wrappings. We don't get to "see" Doomsday until Superman #74.

My MOS #18 9.8WP first print will be delivered to the house on Monday! I wonder what the ceiling for this book will be once Doomsday is officially revealed as the villain. There are currently 955 in 9.8, with 5 in 9.9.

I would guess that the ceiling is partially set by other DC Comics from that era with lower print runs but high demand. For example, Batman Adventures #12 has a lower print than Man of Steel #18, and Harley Quinn is more popular than Doomsday. As a result, I would not expect Man of Steel #18 to even (ever?) come close to the value of Batman Adventures #12. Man of Steel #17 is an interesting case because there is much, much less Doomsday in Man of Steel #17 than there is Wolverine in Hulk #180, but for now, Man of Steel #17 has a higher price. What is that higher price for MoS #17 based on? It's not based on the amount of Doomsday in the book. lol

It's likely that Man of Steel #17 has a premium (for now) over Man of Steel #18 due to the fewer number of CGC graded copies for #17. If both books had similar CGC census numbers, we would likely see Man of Steel #18 with a higher price because it is the first "full Doomsday". That's an interesting situation though, because Doomsday "appears" throughout Man of Steel #18, but he's always covered by his wrappings. We don't get to "see" Doomsday until Superman #74.

I think it's the cover of MOS18 that collectors like so much. Great cover.

And yeah.... why is MOS 17 doing so well? I don't get that at all.

Edited by gadzukes

I think it's the cover of MOS18 that collectors like so much. Great cover.

And yeah.... why is MOS 17 doing so well? I don't get that at all.

Yeah, I don't get it. #18 has the better cover, more stuff happens in the book and it's a full first appearance as opposed to a...fist. Smaller print run, perhaps? How many other characters have a cameo first appearance out-perform their first full and first cover?

Back in November of 1992, DC was using the "continuity diamonds" so one would know which books to read in which order in accordance with their storytelling. The following books were all released that month, have cameos of Doomsday's fist, and their corresponding diamonds are listed. Street date is in parentheses:

Man of Steel #17 - 41 (September 9 or 16, 1992)

Superman #73 - 42 (September 25, 1992)

Adventures of Superman #496 - 43 (October 28, 1992)

Action Comics #683 - 44 (October 28, 1992)

December 1992

Man of Steel #18 - 45 (first full)

So it would appear that technically MoS #17 is Doomsday's first appearance in continuity and in time. I got the release dates from comiccollectorlive.com so take them with a grain of salt. I guess technically by the time MoS #18 is release it's Doomy's fifth appearance? If we're counting fists?

MOS17 is a very very weak cameo - a fist hitting a wall is not a cameo IMO. WIthout CGC noting First Doomsday Cameo it would have little to no value. Again, I think the relative popularity and high census numbers of MOS18 pushed Doomsday collectors to look for something more unique (not that MOS17 is all that unique).

With that being said - someone sell me an MOS 18 4th and 5th print in CGC 9.8 :sumo: I will also take a 9.9 first print (thumbs u

MOS17 is a very very weak cameo - a fist hitting a wall is not a cameo IMO. WIthout CGC noting First Doomsday Cameo it would have little to no value. Again, I think the relative popularity and high census numbers of MOS18 pushed Doomsday collectors to look for something more unique (not that MOS17 is all that unique).

This is true, something else I just realized, the direct edition has a "Doomsday is Coming" teaser in the UPC box, which of course is not present in newsstand editions. So some copies can claim something of a mention on the cover. This can make a unique cameo (I know, it's only an arm) less unique on the newsstand copy, but in turn they are more difficult to find in high grade. Makes one go :insane:

Back in November of 1992, DC was using the "continuity diamonds" so one would know which books to read in which order in accordance with their storytelling. The following books were all released that month, have cameos of Doomsday's fist, and their corresponding diamonds are listed. Street date is in parentheses:

Man of Steel #17 - 41 (September 9 or 16, 1992)

Superman #73 - 42 (September 25, 1992)

Adventures of Superman #496 - 43 (October 28, 1992)

Action Comics #683 - 44 (October 28, 1992)

December 1992

Man of Steel #18 - 45 (first full)

So it would appear that technically MoS #17 is Doomsday's first appearance in continuity and in time. I got the release dates from comiccollectorlive.com so take them with a grain of salt. I guess technically by the time MoS #18 is release it's Doomy's fifth appearance? If we're counting fists?

OK, so if MOS 17 is the 1st "fist" then, as silly as the cameo is, I can see why there might be a bump for that comic.