• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

Has anyone seen an uptick in actual selling prices of MOS18 in CGC 9.8 or just listings with inflated asking prices?

December average $143, with 51 sales

November average $95, with 9 sales

October average $99, with 12 sales

September average $94, with 11 sales

August average $97, with 16 sales

Great stats. GPA right? Keep 'em coming!

Has anyone seen an uptick in actual selling prices of MOS18 in CGC 9.8 or just listings with inflated asking prices?

I sold 2 copies. 1 @ 149.99 and 1 @ 159.99. Each book sold within a half hour of listing them.

Thanks to both of you for the info. I am hoping that more 4th and 5th print CGC 9.8's come to market so I can complete my set - but we shall see, if they do they might be astronomically priced anyway :(

I sold 2 copies. 1 @ 149.99 and 1 @ 159.99. Each book sold within a half hour of listing them.

Awesome! Looks like MOS 18 9.8 is the book to have right now. :)

Maybe...but the 90-day average of Man of Steel # 17 is $203 per, with last GPA sale at $210.

And we've already established that its print run was significantly below that of 18.

I would probably wait a few months.

Maybe...but the 90-day average of Man of Steel # 17 is $203 per, with last GPA sale at $210.

And we've already established that its print run was significantly below that of 18.

Too bad it only has a "Web of Spider-man #18 just-an-arm" first appearance. :insane:

Great stats. GPA right? Keep 'em coming!

For 10.95 you could keep the stats coming all day every day

I have a cgc 9.8 MOS 18 listed BIN at $123, been on eBay for 2 days....hasn't sold yet.

The later printings are where it's at.

My next submission to CGC will include a 2nd,3rd and a 4th (or 5th?) printing.

The 4th (or 5th) printing is the one to get, especially...whichever one is better, is the peinting that I have.

It has a light non color breaking corner bend, which after I get to pressing it, will be a solid 9.8 candidate.

2 months back I sold a CGC 9.4 of the same printing for $180 or so on eBay.

I think a CGC 9.8 would likely be worth around $500....don't think there are any 9.8's in GPA , not sure offhand if there are even any 9.8's in the census, either.

There isn't a long history of reprints being valuable in this industry, so either this is a historical shift... or there is a very small group who are willing to pay more than first print prices for an even smaller number of graded copies (so far).

It will be interesting (in the long run) to see what happens with MOS #18 reprints, particularly when you compare them to a contemporary book like Bone #1 reprints. hm

=valiantman]There isn't a long history of reprints being valuable in this industry, so either this is a historical shift... or there is a very small group who are willing to pay more than first print prices for an even smaller number of graded copies (so far).

It will be interesting (in the long run) to see what happens with MOS #18 reprints, particularly when you compare them to a contemporary book like Bone #1 reprints. hm

Well, alright then , let's have a go at this ;)

Later printings of copper/early modern age keys have sold at prices well above 1st printings for a few years.

Not all of thr reprints have sustained their value i.e. Wolverine 41 2nd print in CGC 9.8 has taken a big dive from its'GPS high of around $500.

I'd say that is b/c it isn't a key book, back in the 90's it was a hot book (the 1st printing) b/c it had a Wolverine/Cable/Sabretooth crossover battle.

It is just is harder in grade due to the gold cover inks being easily abraded and the fact that most collectors didn't value 2nd prints as anything more than readers/hole fillers.

As such, these sorts of books were thrown into 50 cent boxes and not thrown in Mylars like the 1st printings were.

Left unbagged/unboarded in a long box and lugged around to shows with the public rifling thru said box with heavy hands , a book like Wolverine #41 would have taken a beating......stacking transfer on the gold cover inks, the same and abrasions on the mostly black back cover, as well are both issues with that 2nd print.....so the 2nd print is much harder than the 1st, in 9.8.

Books like Wolverine #41 still are a ppiece of nostalgia for copper collectors who have a soft spot for Wolvie,Sabretooth and Cable....... it is just not a key like MOS 18.....so the 2nd print has dipped in FMV.

Books like the 1st printings of MOS 18 which has been established as the 1st app of Doomsday, had fairly high print runs.

Keep in mind MOS 18 is Doomsday's 1st full app....so this book is a legit key book, in relation to the DC movie universe.*

Subsequent printings had lower and lower print runs.They were all virtually printed back to back, on a (presumably) weekly basis as comic shops had increased demand when the printings continued to sell through.

Again, the later printings were not thought to hold any real collectible value.

*MOS 18 later printings are now considered relatively scarce in grade and cough, cough...this is now considered a legit key book....Doomsday's 1st app in very high grade is not a relatively common book.

Unlike MOS 18 1st prints....where collectors/speculators bought multiple copies and immediately bagged/boarded them, presuming each $1.25 book would be a $20-$50 book in a month's time....and they were right.1st prints of MOS 18 sold at $20 or more quickly when the hype about Superman's death was escalated after being reported in Time and Newsweek.

A glaring example of this 1990's soeculative hoarding of MOS 18 1st prints can be found all over eBay.

One eBay seller , over the last month or so, has listed 10 copy auction lots of MOS 18 1st prints, grading each copy as NM/MT 9.8...auction style..the last lot of 10 raw "NM/MT 9.8" sold for over $300, this was right aftet the news broke confirming Doomsday in the upcoming Bats/Sups film.

The lowest the lots of 10 raw "NM/MT 9.8" batches closed for in auction was around $125, before the confirmation was made.

The books did appear to be 9.6/9.8 candidates.Assume the buyers of these 10 lots receive the books...look them over and send off 5 out of every 10 to be graded....as is, or pressed.Assume the not so 9.8 potential copies, half of the 10 book lots, are listed on eBay as raw NM at $20 or so, per book.Assume 5 out of every ten of those "NM/MT 9.8" copies comes back from CGC as a split between 9.4, 9.6 and 9.8.

Expect the census to see an uptick in 9.4 to 9.8 MOS 18 1st prints over the next few months.

You won't see much of an increase in MOS 18 later printings, for the reasons already cited.

Bone #1 had a very low print run.

The paper stock on Bone #1 is known for being not all thst great.You can't press out color breaks and nothing can be done with fingerprints thst have migrated into the paper itself either.

There you have a tough book in 9.8, for 2 reasons....looow print run and the fact that Bone#1 is a book that can't, in most cases, be doctored up by a dry clean & press.

Bone quckly picked up a large following and later printings had considerably HIGHER prints runs than the 1st print, that is another factor to figure into the equation.

IIRC, the later printings of Bone were also produced with higher quality paper stock as Jeff Smith had the money to have the books printed on better paper stock, after he started turning a profit off of his work.