• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

Dumb question: What, if anything, does Doomsday's confirmed inclusion in Batman v Superman mean for the value of these books?

Brief increase in sale prices for current copies in the market, significant increase in the number submitted to CGC, decrease in market prices after the movie due to the increased census and the movie being done.

Should follow a similar pattern to Hulk #271.

MOS18 is a very common 9.8.. 1113 on the census with 5 9.9s. Still, the trailer had a profound impact on fans of the character, enough to create escalation in price with sellers. Temporary? Only time will tell

The eventual price escalation will see a fall after the movie, but I would be very surprised if the book falls back to under $100 for CGC 9.8. I think Vengeance of Bane is a good comparison.

Even though the CGC census will grow, and even though the prices will fall, there won't be a future time when Doomsday wasn't part of a major motion picture... like there was in all the years before now.

Great Scott...... There are almost 2000 copies submitted to cgc??

There are definitely more copies of MOS #18 in existence than NM #98... and NM #98 has 8,700 copies submitted, with 2,200 in CGC 9.8 (Universal and Signature).

Expect the MOS #18 census numbers to climb.

Great Scott...... There are almost 2000 copies submitted to cgc??

There are definitely more copies of MOS #18 in existence than NM #98... and NM #98 has 8,700 copies submitted, with 2,200 in CGC 9.8 (Universal and Signature).

Expect the MOS #18 census numbers to climb. skyrocket

I'm re reading it tonight in TPB form !

Ya know, people can say what they want about how it "ruined death" in comics, or whatever else they want to lob at it. But every time I flip through Death of Superman tpb, I'll be damned if I'm not reminded that it really was one of the most exciting storylines in comics every time.

Edited by Dexter85

Ya know, people can say what they want about how it "ruined death" in comics, or whatever else they want to lob at it. But every time I flip through Death of Superman tpb, I'll be damned if I'm not reminded that it really was one of the most exciting storylines in comics every time.

I liked that as the story was getting closer to concluding the number of panels reduced issue by issue

I liked that as the story was getting closer to concluding the number of panels reduced issue by issue

I was working at an LCS part time, and the line stretched around the block for the black bag edition..... demand was so strong that the owner asked us not to purchase copies for ourselves. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I was working at an LCS part time, and the line stretched around the block for the black bag edition..... demand was so strong that the owner asked us not to purchase copies for ourselves. GOD BLESS...

will the black bag go up in price? finally?

Seems like it has creeped up to being a $10-$15 or so book, which is better than the $5-$10 I was seeing for years (and sometimes less. I bought five copies for $10 at a flea market last year) . My LCS is asking $20 for their two copies and haven't had any bites, but I wouldn't be surprised to see the market $20-$25 mark again if the movie is a big success. Whatever anyone thinks about the quality of the story, or the impact the book had on the hobby, there's no doubt a huge swath of folks out there that have nostalgia for the book.

There are many remaining/existing copies of that book, much more than any key from any prior era.

It is hard to see how a price based on supply and demand will go up significantly when the supply is so high.

On the other hand, if Superman dies in the movies... hm