• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

If all of this is true, the books to start to quietly buy up are the first printing of Justice League 69 and the first printing (with the wrap around) of Justice League 70.

If all of this is true, the books to start to quietly buy up are the first printing of Justice League 69 and the first printing (with the wrap around) of Justice League 70.

Wouldn't it be a problem that none of the characters from Justice League 69 are in the movie? hm

I think you guys are looking into it waaaaay too deep. While theres no harm in speculating, the real reason why MOS17/18 are selling well now is because of the mass appeal that the recent trailer had on fans of the character (doomsday).. I dont see any peak with any other books/characters relating to that movie since the trailer aired.

Its worth mentioning that the Alias trailer had the same affect. It was well received by the audience and Alias started making the rounds instantly. As did MOS17/18 - RIGHT after the trailer aired.

Civil War's trailer on the other hand, didnt seem to resonate with fans as much, sales for the series havent picked up when it aired.

I think you guys are looking into it waaaaay too deep. While theres no harm in speculating, the real reason why MOS17/18 are selling well now is because of the mass appeal that the recent trailer had on fans of the character (doomsday).. I dont see any peak with any other books/characters relating to that movie since the trailer aired.

I thought I was keeping it simple. lol

The trailer introduces Doomsday (hence the spike in MOS17/18), but the movie might actually kill Superman... which would/could/should impact Superman #75 (specifically the Platinum, since there aren't millions).

I was asking Donut why he was recommending Justice League 69 (as well).

Been doing that quietly for some time . . . ;)

MOS18 is a very common 9.8.. 1113 on the census with 5 9.9s. Still, the trailer had a profound impact on fans of the character, enough to create escalation in price with sellers. Temporary? Only time will tell

Difficult it is often to determine what your opinion is. :grin:

Civil War's trailer on the other hand, didnt seem to resonate with fans as much, sales for the series havent picked up when it aired.

But...that's only because Crossbones didn't appear. Had he (as we've seen from the still shots) those Cap books (which are, like MOS 18, mad common) would have spiked overnight as well.

But wait. Doomsday is Zod in the DC movie universe. So shouldn't the first Zod appearance be still the book to get over MOS 18? :insane:

Adventure 283 has always been a sought after book. Surprisingly, not as widely discussed among collectors, but a huge book nonetheless

But...that's only because Crossbones didn't appear. Had he (as we've seen from the still shots) those Cap books (which are, like MOS 18, mad common) would have spiked overnight as well.

Yup, thats because the trailer didnt work, neither towards a property nor to benefit the film.

Remember the Thanos Cameo earlier this year that leaked and promoted Infinity War? That was a leaked bootleg clip that went viral and had the same impact on Infinity Gauntlet books.. The big studios need to learn that character introductions in movie trailers excite fans and depicting them with such impact contributes to that excitement (.. and consequently comic book sales ;)

The big studios need to learn that character introductions in movie trailers excite fans and depicting them with such impact contributes to that excitement (.. and consequently comic book sales ;)

Again...disagree with this.

From what I've read, fans were excited by the Wonder Woman reveal -- fans were indifferent and/or negative towards the Doomsday one. (unnecessary addition, didn't look right, different powers than in the comics, trailer revealed too much plot)

It was _speculators_ who were excited at the Doomsday reveal (and hence, "comic book sales").

Put another way, would it not have been more effective to leave the Doomsday reveal secret until the movie? (i.e. Howard the Duck in Guardians?) The speculators would still have made their nut, just a bit later...

And, further counter to your point above -- Civil War _did_ have a big character intro for the fans -- Black Panther.

The big studios need to learn that character introductions in movie trailers excite fans and depicting them with such impact contributes to that excitement (.. and consequently comic book sales ;)

From what I've read, fans were excited by the Wonder Woman reveal -- fans were indifferent and/or negative towards the Doomsday one. (unnecessary addition, didn't look right, different powers than in the comics, trailer revealed too much plot)

It was _speculators_ who were excited at the Doomsday reveal (and hence, "comic book sales").

Put another way, would it not have been more effective to leave the Doomsday reveal secret until the movie? (i.e. Howard the Duck in Guardians?) The speculators would still have made their nut, just a bit later...

And, further counter to your point above -- Civil War _did_ have a big character intro for the fans -- Black Panther.

Whether its the fans or the speculators who got excited doesnt really make a difference - the SALES are the proof that the trailer worked. The proof is ALWAYS where the moneys at. You may call it X and I may call it Y, but the MARKET ALWAYS DECIDES at the end.

Black Panther was exciting in the trailer? where are the sales to prove it? Show me a NOTICEABLE increase as in MOS18 right off the gate. Show me 50+ sales of Black Panther books an hour into the trailer's appearance. The fact that the fans talk about it doesnt mean it really worked. I praised it, you praised it, but BP appearance in the trailer was not as impactful as was Doomsday's.. You couldve blinked and missed him in that trailer.

Was Howard the Duck in Guardians really that big of a deal though? It's not like the character had any significant part in the movie. Doomsday is shaping up to be the villain that unites the DCCU heroes. DC was bound to reveal the character before the movie comes out.

Whether its the fans or the speculators who got excited doesnt really make a difference - the SALES are the proof that the trailer worked. The proof is ALWAYS where the moneys at. You may call it X and I may call it Y, but the MARKET ALWAYS DECIDES at the end.

Black Panther was exciting in the trailer? where are the sales to prove it? Show me a NOTICEABLE increase as in MOS18 right off the gate. Show me 50+ sales of Black Panther books an hour into the trailer's appearance. The fact that the fans talk about it doesnt mean it really worked. I praised it, you praised it, but BP appearance in the trailer was not as impactful as was Doomsday's.. You couldve blinked and missed him in that trailer.

I think that is because BP was already revealed to be in this movie a year or more ago. Hopefully Marvel will have some surprises. Maybe an early intro to Wasp?

I think that is because BP was already revealed to be in this movie a year or more ago.

This.

FANS weren't pleased with the Doomsday intro -- as I pointed out, the criticism has outweighed the praise.

SPECULATORS were pleased, which resulted in overnight increases.

The _only_ difference between the Doomsday & Black Panther reveals is that speculators already knew BP would be in the movie a year ago & get his own spin-off flick (so FF 52's already realized huge increases), whereas Doomsday was rumored, but a surprise.

But the fan reaction I've seen to the brief Black Panther shot has been both insane & positive.

Another corollary -- _fans_ loved the reveal of Han & Chewie in the second Force Awakens trailer ("Chewie, we're home.").

But sales and/or prices of Star Wars # 2 (their first comic appearance) didn't skyrocket overnight.

So no -- the market doesn't always decide. And fan =/= speculator. The former doesn't sway prices; the latter does.

By your rubric, the Han/Chewie stinger reveal in that Star Wars trailer "didn't work."

I think that is because BP was already revealed to be in this movie a year or more ago.

This.

FANS weren't pleased with the Doomsday intro -- as I pointed out, the criticism has outweighed the praise.

The _only_ difference between the Doomsday & Black Panther reveals is that speculators already knew BP would be in the movie a year ago & get his own spin-off flick (so FF 52's already realized huge increases), whereas Doomsday was rumored, but a surprise.

But the fan reaction I've seen to the brief Black Panther shot has been both insane & positive.

And I have heard from plenty of people that BP spot in the trailer that was indifferent or negative (or, in one case, "Who is that hero in the small Iron Man suit?" lol)

Outside of us comic nerds, nobody really cares about BP or Doomsday.

This.

And I have heard from plenty of people that BP spot in the trailer that was indifferent or negative (or, in one case, "Who is that hero in the small Iron Man suit?" lol)

Outside of us comic nerds, nobody really cares about BP or Doomsday.

This is true, for now. I think Black Panther has the potential to become popular and that is going to largely depend on how he is portrayed in the MCU. I think Doomsday being the reason for the DCCU characters coming together is a good move as it plays off the role Doomsday had in the comic. I'm just wonder if anyone will utter the word "Doomsday" in the movie though.

The words "Black Panther" has another meaning in U.S. history. I suspect we are far enough away from the days of the Black Panther Party that most people won't confuse this character with that movement, but I suspect there will be a few talking heads that will somehow try to link the two. I know there was a Black Panther animated mini-series on BET a few years back, but that went largely under the radar of most people. It should be interesting when that movie is released.

Dumb question: What, if anything, does Doomsday's confirmed inclusion in Batman v Superman mean for the value of these books?

Brief increase in sale prices for current copies in the market, significant increase in the number submitted to CGC, decrease in market prices after the movie due to the increased census and the movie being done.

Should follow a similar pattern to Hulk #271.

Hulk #271, from a surviving copy standpoint, is a completely different beast than MOS #18.

hm

Great Scott...... There are almost 2000 copies submitted to cgc??

There are definitely more copies of MOS #18 in existence than NM #98

Are you sure about that...?

hm

PS. The whole Death of Superman storyline was pretty bad, from a literary standpoint.

We have an antagonist who just "shows up", with no back story whatsoever, and in the course of 6 issues, manages to take down the most powerful superhero in the DCU (yes, let's not talk about Spectre, et al.) without any explanation at all. There was no setup, there were no plot elements introduced earlier, there was nothing at all that made us care one whit about "Doomsday", or why he/she/it would or should have A. the motive, B. the opportunity, C. the ability to take down Supes.

It was a stunt, a gimmick, and boy did it sell books.

But as a literary work, it is awful.

It really makes you appreciate the pacing and plotting of storylines like Dark Phoenix, which groundwork was laid beginning in 1976...and didn't culminate until 1980.

I imagine, to young teens, it was the thrill of a lifetime.

But, just like watching The Poseidon Adventure (1972) as an adult, it wasn't ever very good to begin with.