• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superman: The Man of Steel #17 & 18 (Doomsday)
3 3

879 posts in this topic

What is the going rate on a MOS 18 CGC 9.8 4th and 5th print - not a lot of GPA data available on them - so what would be a reasonable price to pay?

cheaper than what it would be if you ask this question again a week from now

I think you can use gpa as an indirect starting guide and go from there, even though there's not a ton of data.

Start with 5th print, there's enough data on GPA to get an starting point price. Then work from there to see how much MORE than GPA you'll pay, calculating in how much you want it, how available they are, the potential for growth (from movie hype) or decline (from more people slabbing), and how long or how much it might cost you to get another one in the future. You can also factor GPA of 3rd and 2nd print into your estimates , considering those same people would probably buy 5th prints given the chance what are GPA's for those 9.8's?

4th print would be extra tough, as there's only 3 in grade. I would say you can triple whatever the 5th print would cost you.

Actually, there's only 2 as I never returned my cracked blue label, after I turned yellow :acclaim:

SAM_5632.jpg

......on second thought, I don think this was a 9.8 blue.... It may have been purchased raw, then submitted for signing..... hm

Until I get a chance to go through my records, I'll say it was caught in the wild.... :boo:

Just wanted to say thanks for all the great information provided in these forums.

Seems I learn something new every time I read through these posts as I had no idea how to tell the difference between print runs and rarity between newsstand and direct and so on until reading all this.

Thanks again for all the great information!

Local LCS had a "death of superman" sealed box 7 pack set today for $15. I know packs like this had the different prints in them, so I buy any type of these aftermarket packs when I see them, always crossing my fingers for a MOS 18 5th.

Sure enough all later printings inside: superman 75 4th, superman 74 3rd, adventures 497 3rd, action 684 2nd, JLA 69 3rd, MOS 19 2nd, and ... MOS 18 5th print :whee:

All minty perfect, boxed since 1993, and now off to slab town.

Cheers!

Local LCS had a "death of superman" sealed box 7 pack set today for $15. I know packs like this had the different prints in them, so I buy any type of these aftermarket packs when I see them, always crossing my fingers for a MOS 18 5th.

Sure enough all later printings inside: superman 75 4th, superman 74 3rd, adventures 497 3rd, action 684 2nd, JLA 69 3rd, MOS 19 2nd, and ... MOS 18 5th print :whee:

Cheers!

That's awesome! Do you have pictures of the box... I want to know what to look for. :grin:

I just checked GPA and was pleased to see MOS 18 is rising in value again.

In 9.8 the last 12 months average (249 comics sold) is $91,

but in the last 90 days the average (59 sold) is $100.

Pretty much every grade is starting to rise again.

The trend is true for MOS 17 too.

I went to my LCS today. The owner had just acquired a few longboxes and offered to let me look through them before he did a full inventory of what he'd purchased.

I got these for $1 per book. The 17's not in the best of shape, but for a buck I couldn't just leave it.

Doomsday%20comics_zpshppfbmhf.jpg

Cheers!

That's awesome! Do you have pictures of the box... I want to know what to look for. :grin:

Thought I would post this - still missing the 4th and 5th printing (let me know if you know where I can get them)

MOS18_zps79rtnl7i.jpg

You can get them here:

83A08C17-99EF-448B-B1DB-8ADF91E56918_zpsz8s2z7dv.jpg

AF11503A-3A9E-450E-A804-55404C3F38CC_zps8dxcgcnb.jpg

All these "doomsday" collector packs are later printings. I have cracked three of these in the last month, one yielded a 4th print MOS 18, and two of them had the MOS 18 5th print. The MOS 18 was the only different book in the packs , all other copies were the exact same print in each pack (JL 69 3rd, sup 74 3rd, adv sup 497 3rd, action 684 2nd, mos 19 2nd, and sup 75 4th print). the only other info I have found is that these were originally distributed through Toys R Us in 1993.

Happy hunting,

Cheers!

Cheers!

Thought I would post this - still missing the 4th and 5th printing (let me know if you know where I can get them)

MOS18_zps79rtnl7i.jpg

You can get them here:

83A08C17-99EF-448B-B1DB-8ADF91E56918_zpsz8s2z7dv.jpg

AF11503A-3A9E-450E-A804-55404C3F38CC_zps8dxcgcnb.jpg

All these "doomsday" collector packs are later printings. I have cracked three of these in the last month, one yielded a 4th print MOS 18, and two of them had the MOS 18 5th print. The MOS 18 was the only different book in the packs , all other copies were the exact same print in each pack (JL 69 3rd, sup 74 3rd, adv sup 497 3rd, action 684 2nd, mos 19 2nd, and sup 75 4th print). the only other info I have found is that these were originally distributed through Toys R Us in 1993.

Happy hunting,

Cheers!

Finding them is not the problem...... Finding 9.8's..... Now that's the problem :gossip:

Finding them is not the problem...... Finding 9.8's..... Now that's the problem :gossip:

Luckily, Those boxes keep them pretty well, nice box, nice books. Bad box...well.

The two 5th prints were minty fresh 9.8 and should be back end of month. The 4th print came in a box with pretty bad corner damage, luckily, no color breaks so I have high hopes for a good press.

Cheers!

I was wondering.....

So, how much truth do you suppose there is to the Zod/Doomsday rumor?

Why else would they show Zod in the trailer? There's got to be some legs to this rumor.

If they go the Zod/doomsday route, do you suppose Doomsday will have a Zod resemblance?

Edited by gadzukes

I had the Death of Superman box from Toys R Us also as a kid, unfortunately, I no longer have the comics. Once I tracked down the first prints, I discarded my "worthless" other printings. :facepalm:

Speaking of other printings, remember when MOS #17 2nd printing was thought to be impossible to find in 9.8? The first 9.8 hit the census a little over a year ago, now there are 22 Universal 9.8s in the census today. MOS #18 4th and 5th prints really are the crown jewels.

I feel your pain! When I found two of the 5th prints at first I was not very happy as I was hoping for first prints. They came back as a 9.4 and 9.6 and have since left my home and kind of wish I still had one of them!

Those boxes were my re-entry into comics after stopping during the late 70's to early 80's. Granted I picked up several comics during the 90's, the X-MEN Alpha release comes to mind! Great times for sure!!