• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

List 5-10 favorite GA comics in your collection & explain why...

334 posts in this topic

Well I guess I do have five GA books that I could display here. In fact I have about 10 total. But here's my last one. I always thought that Win Mortimer was an underrated artist but I love his artwork on this issue of Detective Comics. Sure it's late GA but it depicts Batman in action in a time-travel motif. And I love Cleopatra covers as well. (Thanks to Gary Carter back in 1993.)

DETECTIVE20COMICS20167209_4.jpg

Nice selection of books. (thumbs u

It's most likely Bud Thompson.

I don't know the cover artist and neither did CGC (any help in identifying the cover artist would be appreciated) but I just love newstand and infinity covers and this book has both depicted. Looking at this cover is akin to entering a time machine and walking by Cahuenga Newstand and Books on Hollywood Blvd and seeing the books depicted on this cover. How cool is that!

CaptainMarvelJr37.jpg

Wow, RE. Out of all your amazing books, this is very cool. Has to be a real treasure on this one. :applause:

My dad didn't save anything :( but he's still tops in my book and doing great at 85 :)

Great books, everyone! Fun thread.

My dad's book...

batman20.jpg

[font:Times New Roman]+1 - Some of the more poignant personal stories about collecting give a greater dimension to the hobby, IMO. :applause:

I'd like to add thank you's to Mr. Bedrock for the Hit #18 and another special grail below (which shows up on my fave list on any given day) ...

b6c24532-13f6-492d-b8a3-20b3e0512cc2_zps6669407e.jpg

...and to Gator, who went out of his way to negotiate a deal for that sweet copy of Human Torch #5(B) from a third party at my behest.

Also, a special thank you to Vintage Roy for remembering my interest in Cat-Man resulting in the acquisition of Cat-Man #31 (snow-wolf cover).

It's easy to get wrapped up in passion over the books, but the guys who help acquire these grails deserve special acknowledgement too.[/font] :foryou:

Loving this thread so far. Lots of cool books and great stories and commentary!

Here's a story I told last year in the "Tales From the Comic Shop" thread. Rather that re-write, I'll just copy and paste.

=====================================

Back in the late 80s and early 90s I would frequent Fat Jack's Comicrypt in downtown Philadelphia. Mike, the owner, and Chuck, the manager, took notice of me when I bought a Whiz Comics #12 because they didn't know any other teenage kids buying golden age comics.

I struck up a friendship with them and would spend a lot of time in the store with them talking about old comics. I learned so much from those guys. Chuck in particular was a font of knowledge and introduced me to ECs, Good Girl Art, Pre-code Horror, and pulps. Frazetta and Williamson and Wood, Kamen and Baker and Feldstein. What a thrill that was.

I started going to college nearby and they offered to let me work part-time in the store. I was able to pretty much set my own hours. Mostly I graded and priced books and ran the register, but I loved every minute of it.

I didn't have a lot of money in those days, but I would occasionally buy a silver age key or a nice golden age book from the store and Chuck or Mike would always give me a good deal. Over the years since, I've sold all of those books. All except for one.

In November 1991, a man walked into the store with two liquor boxes filled with golden age DCs. The books had no bags or boards. Each box had two neat stacks of books, side by side. The guy's father had died and he had inherited the books. Mike negotiated a price with him and purchased the collection.

Back then Fat Jack's was a local distributor. This was new comic day, so the backroom of the store was filled with all the local dealers picking up their new books. Of course when they saw the books Mike had purchased, the feeding frenzy started.

Mike put the two boxes on a table and everyone queued up to look through them. There were about a dozen dealers there jockeying for position. And there was me. I don't remember how I did it, but somehow I got the second spot in line. It might have had something to do with my 6' 6" frame. :grin:

Mike pulled the books out of the boxes and neatly stacked them on the table. The books were mostly 1940-43, so no Action 1, no Detective 27, no Superman 1. But there were a lot of the other DC keys in the collection. The books were not priced, Mike had literally just purchased them minutes before. Just stacks of raw golden age goodness on the table!

The dealer in front of me, #1 in line, went through the first stack. As soon as he finished that stack I started on it. And so on. Dealer #1 just wanted the keys, and pulled every one out. I remember being dejected as I saw him pull a Batman 1, a Green Lantern 1, an All-Star 3, a Wonder Woman 1, and an All-Flash 1, and put them in his pile. There were probably others he took too. I can't remember all of them now.

But I had been keeping a keen eye on what he pulled and what he skipped. And right after he pulled the All-Star 3 I noticed that he skipped over the All-Star 8. Jackpot! When he was done with that stack I went right to that book and pulled it out. He glanced over and said "What do you want that book for?" I flipped to the back and showed him the first appearance of Wonder Woman. He had forgotten about that.

I wasn't even sure if I could afford the book or how I would pay for it. I guess I just had faith that I'd be able to work something out. I showed the book to Mike and he smiled, looked it over, pulled out his price guide, and quoted me a price of 40% of guide. Not off guide. Of guide.

Thanks Mike.

All-Star%2520Comics%2520%25238%2520CGC%2520VG-%25203.5.jpg

Loving this thread so far. Lots of cool books and great stories and commentary!

Here's a story I told last year in the "Tales From the Comic Shop" thread. Rather that re-write, I'll just copy and paste.

=====================================

Back in the late 80s and early 90s I would frequent Fat Jack's Comicrypt in downtown Philadelphia. Mike, the owner, and Chuck, the manager, took notice of me when I bought a Whiz Comics #12 because they didn't know any other teenage kids buying golden age comics.

I struck up a friendship with them and would spend a lot of time in the store with them talking about old comics. I learned so much from those guys. Chuck in particular was a font of knowledge and introduced me to ECs, Good Girl Art, Pre-code Horror, and pulps. Frazetta and Williamson and Wood, Kamen and Baker and Feldstein. What a thrill that was.

I started going to college nearby and they offered to let me work part-time in the store. I was able to pretty much set my own hours. Mostly I graded and priced books and ran the register, but I loved every minute of it.

I didn't have a lot of money in those days, but I would occasionally buy a silver age key or a nice golden age book from the store and Chuck or Mike would always give me a good deal. Over the years since, I've sold all of those books. All except for one.

In November 1991, a man walked into the store with two liquor boxes filled with golden age DCs. The books had no bags or boards. Each box had two neat stacks of books, side by side. The guy's father had died and he had inherited the books. Mike negotiated a price with him and purchased the collection.

Back then Fat Jack's was a local distributor. This was new comic day, so the backroom of the store was filled with all the local dealers picking up their new books. Of course when they saw the books Mike had purchased, the feeding frenzy started.

Mike put the two boxes on a table and everyone queued up to look through them. There were about a dozen dealers there jockeying for position. And there was me. I don't remember how I did it, but somehow I got the second spot in line. It might have had something to do with my 6' 6" frame. :grin:

Mike pulled the books out of the boxes and neatly stacked them on the table. The books were mostly 1940-43, so no Action 1, no Detective 27, no Superman 1. But there were a lot of the other DC keys in the collection. The books were not priced, Mike had literally just purchased them minutes before. Just stacks of raw golden age goodness on the table!

The dealer in front of me, #1 in line, went through the first stack. As soon as he finished that stack I started on it. And so on. Dealer #1 just wanted the keys, and pulled every one out. I remember being dejected as I saw him pull a Batman 1, a Green Lantern 1, an All-Star 3, a Wonder Woman 1, and an All-Flash 1, and put them in his pile. There were probably others he took too. I can't remember all of them now.

But I had been keeping a keen eye on what he pulled and what he skipped. And right after he pulled the All-Star 3 I noticed that he skipped over the All-Star 8. Jackpot! When he was done with that stack I went right to that book and pulled it out. He glanced over and said "What do you want that book for?" I flipped to the back and showed him the first appearance of Wonder Woman. He had forgotten about that.

I wasn't even sure if I could afford the book or how I would pay for it. I guess I just had faith that I'd be able to work something out. I showed the book to Mike and he smiled, looked it over, pulled out his price guide, and quoted me a price of 40% of guide. Not off guide. Of guide.

Thanks Mike.

All-Star%2520Comics%2520%25238%2520CGC%2520VG-%25203.5.jpg

Wow, what a great story. That is exactly what I was hoping I would find when I opened this thread. Great book and even greater story.

Lovely book -- I am even more jealous after having seen this copy in person.

cuz it's my favorite g.a. cover.

fantastic3-1.jpg

cuz i bought it off the spinner at a tourist trap on fort walton beach as an 8 yr. old on my first florida vacation, and somehow still have it almost 50 years later. can remember trying out my little adjustable date stamp/pad i got for my 10th b'day about a year later. alot of my poor books got the treatment, but this is the only one i still have.

mt1uc.jpg