• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NYCC Adlard: WHAT THE HECK?!?!?

147 posts in this topic

People who drop giant stacks of books on a creator, with no notice, and expect to have them done same day lack empathy.

I turned away about 200 paid signed items from Bolland's booth at Baltimore for the same reason. There were people that set up large amounts ahead of time, and there was simply not enough time in the show to fit in another 200 without notice.

At least Adlard's people gave an option for giant stacks if people conformed to the rules as posted almost a month before the show.

The information regarding the signing was unclear. There was a thread about it on these forums that said "if you are not going to NYCC you need to send in your books before the show starts for the one signing that will be taking place on Thursday".

It said nothing about what happened if you were going to the show.

There was a signing scheduled for 7:30PM.

Given this limited information it did not seem outside the realm of possibility that one could show up on Thursday, buy the exclusives, and get them submitted for the signing.

After calling CGC (who had no info), going to the CGC booth (which also had no info) and going to Charlie's handlers (one guy at the booth who knew nothing) I later found out that the one signing was being held offsite on Thursday until just before the show started.

Aside from thinking that $10 per book would cover the tab, the OP has every right to be pissed off.

People who drop giant stacks of books on a creator, with no notice, and expect to have them done same day lack empathy.

I turned away about 200 paid signed items from Bolland's booth at Baltimore for the same reason. There were people that set up large amounts ahead of time, and there was simply not enough time in the show to fit in another 200 without notice.

At least Adlard's people gave an option for giant stacks if people conformed to the rules as posted almost a month before the show.

I agree with almost everything you post. However, if the handler said "oh I'll add these to the other books we plan on getting signed by Adlard" thats one thing, but denying any future signatures for CGC, completely rejecting people who can't make it to the show on thursday JUST because you want to line your pockets by being first to market is totally wildly_fanciful_statement.

If conforming to the rules meant submitting the books prior to the show, how was anyone going to get the exclusives to submit (before the show even started)?

The information regarding the signing was unclear. There was a thread about it on these forums that said "if you are not going to NYCC you need to send in your books before the show starts for the one signing that will be taking place on Thursday".

Given this limited information it did not seem outside the realm of possibility that one could show up on Thursday, buy the exclusives, and get them submitted for the signing.

After calling CGC (who had no info), going to the CGC booth (which also had no info) and going to Charlie's handlers (one guy at the booth who knew nothing) I later found out that the one signing was being held offsite on Thursday until just before the show started.

Aside from thinking that $10 per book would cover the tab, the OP has every right to be pissed off.

After reading the announcement post....posted on September 17th, I am not getting where people think they could show up at the 7:30pm Friday signing and have SS done.

**This will be the ONLY way to get Charlie Adlard SS at NYCC 13**

Due to his convention schedule Charlie has asked that all SS for NYCC is handled at a pre-arranged private signing. This will allow Charlie to spend time with fans at the show and get all our SS needs handled in a controlled environment. This signing will be held off site before the convention.

CGC will not certify any signatures by Charlie unless they get done during this private signing. This signing is in coordination with and on behalf of Hero Initiative. Neither Hero Initiative nor Skybound will be submitting any Charlie Adlard SS books independently of our signing. As per Charlie's request we will be doing one signing before the show starts for SS

Then this about the Friday signing

Convention Signing time for Charlie:

Thursday 10/10/13: 7:30pm-9:00pm (no sketches) or No SS available

That seems pretty clear...I mean really clear.

If conforming to the rules meant submitting the books prior to the show, how was anyone going to get the exclusives to submit (before the show even started)?

From the announcement post this was how Adlard wanted it handled and it was how it was handled. All signing before the show and no CGC at the show.

If that's how the creator wants it handled that's how it's going to get done.

I agree with almost everything you post. However, if the handler said "oh I'll add these to the other books we plan on getting signed by Adlard" thats one thing, but denying any future signatures for CGC, completely rejecting people who can't make it to the show on thursday JUST because you want to line your pockets by being first to market is totally wildly_fanciful_statement.

The "lining pockets" thing is conjecture. From the announcement, this was how the creator wanted it handled, so that's how they handled it. At the end of the day if Adlard didn't want to do SS at the show I am not sure how what anyone else wants is going to supersede that.

BEST. FRIDAY. EVAR.

Nah.

Now if CAL starts a thread, then we're talking! :D

Well, that might be - you've been here longer than me.

I don't know what to tell you, bud. It was pretty clear there was only one way to get Adlard at NYCC

More and more creators are going to this kind of system. We can't just make them do what we want them to do.

After reading the announcement post....posted on September 17th, I am not getting where people think they could show up at the 7:30pm Friday signing and have SS done.

**This will be the ONLY way to get Charlie Adlard SS at NYCC 13**

Due to his convention schedule Charlie has asked that all SS for NYCC is handled at a pre-arranged private signing. This will allow Charlie to spend time with fans at the show and get all our SS needs handled in a controlled environment. This signing will be held off site before the convention.

CGC will not certify any signatures by Charlie unless they get done during this private signing. This signing is in coordination with and on behalf of Hero Initiative. Neither Hero Initiative nor Skybound will be submitting any Charlie Adlard SS books independently of our signing. As per Charlie's request we will be doing one signing before the show starts for SS

Then this about the Friday signing

Convention Signing time for Charlie:

Thursday 10/10/13: 7:30pm-9:00pm (no sketches) or No SS available

Smoke a couple of bowls and see how clear it is.

:sumo:

That is great and all but that is not what was on the signature series forum the day before and the day of the show.

It looks like the post I quoted has been edited or deleted because after a thorough search I was unable to find it.

If it is still there the phrase "if you are not going to the show" is what I believe left the door open for those of us who had tickets and wanted to bring or buy books for signature would be able to get them signed on Thursday if we went to CGC when the show started (or in my case two hours before the show started).

I don't know what to tell you, bud. It was pretty clear there was only one way to get Adlard at NYCC

What ever happened to Menace and why isn't he handling Adlard?!

The fact that you are asking the question is possibly the answer.