• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab-Pro is a thief

205 posts in this topic

Guaranteeing CGC grades is nothing but trouble.

Yup. I learned this years ago and stopped offering CGC guarantees, even though I think I know how to grade well (well, almost as good as Bob).

Even resubbing the same book can get you a different grade. The book gets bumped in shipping, the book gets mishandled at some point or the graders just see the book differently that day and either find a new defect or miss a defect.

The only way to guarantee a CGC graded is to sell the book CGC graded.

Welcome to the internet. It allows rapid communication to large numbers of people.

I have no horse in this discussion - actually I've never owned a horse - but I'd suggest you deal with criticism calmly and use that feedback to improve your business model.

I'm here as I heard there was someone off to see a man about a horse.

As far as Joey, I sent books to him to be pressed. They weren't coming out as good. The books were coming back lower then the grade and still had some defects left in them. I sent to another presser and they said that the books were improperly pressed. Pressing is not my field of expertise, but I can however see defects.

Not directed at anyone in particular but I overheard a talk between two very prominent pressers few years ago at a show and the one presser basically said this "Listen, you upgrade books on me, I upgrade books on you".

Every presser has their pluses and minuses as each has a slightly different technique. Some excel at one thing and others excel at another. It's like hockey players - they all play hockey but they all excel at different positions.

Furthermore, when looking at a book with defects everyone sees things differently (blue dress, grey dress, silver dress, folks!). I've passed on books that others have bought and visa versa.

There are no guarantees with pressing.

Just thought I'd throw that out there.

Roy, I believe you're right on both. . I made mistakes and will not go down that path again. I hope to honesty just be welcomed in this community. I'm an inventor and just like to help improve and make the hobby more fun.

Guaranteeing CGC grades is nothing but trouble.

Yup. I learned this years ago and stopped offering CGC guarantees, even though I think I know how to grade well (well, almost as good as Bob).

Even resubbing the same book can get you a different grade. The book gets bumped in shipping, the book gets mishandled at some point or the graders just see the book differently that day and either find a new defect or miss a defect.

The only way to guarantee a CGC graded is to sell the book CGC graded.

That is not the issue here. Nothing is directed at you Roy, but I am using this post to remind others what really went on. Books do change in grade with CPR or even no work done to them. It happens, and anyone who submits a lot of resubs knows they can go up or down depending on a multitude of factors.

His books were graded and because the owner did not agree with CGC's assessment the books were cracked out and sold as raw with inflated "guaranteed" grades. I still have the email with the grade results and boardies can match them against the examples in this post where 8.5's were cracked out and listed raw as high as a 9.6. I did not feel comfortable doing work for a guy that did business like that and told him that any business between us was now concluded. Those that are reading this thread can come to their own conclusion as to who is being forthright.

PM me if anyone wants further details.

Hey Joey,

First off, you directly told me that you pressed books that were 9.0s and came 9.0s and then resubmitted and they came back 9.8s without a press. The Amazing Spider-man was pressed after you pressed it. The presser said it was pressed improperly and it could get a higher grade. Quite honestly, you have no idea what I did with the books from the time that you had them to the time they were sold. For you to assume that I was overgrading just because you pressed them once is ridiculous. We have plenty of emails back and forth where I made you aware that defects were still left on books. Why wouldn't I in return take the book elsewhere to try and reach the higher grade.

Again, I do not sell books like this anymore.

Thanks.

Wrong way to respond:

Hey Joey,

First off, you directly told me that you pressed books that were 9.0s and came 9.0s and then resubmitted and they came back 9.8s without a press. The Amazing Spider-man was pressed after you pressed it. The presser said it was pressed improperly and it could get a higher grade. Quite honestly, you have no idea what I did with the books from the time that you had them to the time they were sold. For you to assume that I was overgrading just because you pressed them once is ridiculous. We have plenty of emails back and forth where I made you aware that defects were still left on books. Why wouldn't I in return take the book elsewhere to try and reach the higher grade.

Thanks.

Right way to respond:

Hey Joey,

We could go back and forth on this for another couple years and get nowhere, so I'm bowing out. We'll have to agree to disagree, not do business together anymore, and leave it at that. :foryou:

As I've said, I'm done guaranteeing CGC grades, and I'm only selling graded comics here for a while.

P.S. What does "you pressed books that were 9.0s and came 9.0s and then resubmitted and they came back 9.8s without a press" mean?

He bought books graded at 9.0 and he pressed them and they came back 9.0, so he cracked them out again and sent them in and they got 9.8s. This is what he's telling me. So no grade is written in stone. You're right, I do not do this anymore and I don't do business with Joey. I would like to move on.

Hey Joey,

Thanks.

I have documented proof of your shenanigans.

You clearly said that grades could go up and down. So why when you say it, it's ok, but when I sell a book either after a press when defects didn't come out or after a couple of presses and give it a higher grade, am I wrong? Yes I understand if I gave a "guaranteed" grade, yes I get that, but we're all giving our opinions. You're not more right then me. If I gave the guarantee and it came back not as stated, I made the transaction right and gave refunds etc. And if you were concerned about your reputation because you were my presser at the time, that was your choice to expose yourself because I don't disclose personal information.

The community says I'm wrong, I'm wrong. This is over a year with you. I want to move on. I havent dealt with guaranteed grades for a while. And I dont enjoy bashing or speaking about business transactions, especially on a forum.