• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slab-Pro is a thief

205 posts in this topic

Dear Slab-pro,

I am relatively new to this forum so I don't really know all the intricacies of your story here. I won't comment on what is being said in this thread since I am not really qualified to do so.

What I really find interesting though is why you came back to a place you are clearly not welcome to. It's not something I would dare do and I am not sure why you are persisting in trying. It really doesn't make sense and it makes you look sad and desperate.

Cheers, Howard

Dear Slab-pro,

I am relatively new to this forum so I don't really know all the intricacies of your story here. I won't comment on what is being said in this thread since I am not really qualified to do so.

What I really find interesting though is why you came back to a place you are clearly not welcome to. It's not something I would dare do and I am not sure why you are persisting in trying. It really doesn't make sense and it makes you look sad and desperate.

Cheers, Howard

The answer of course is the potential for $$$

I'm not sure why you would want to be a part of this community. (shrug)

Everyone's so mean and judgmental here...

ESPECIALLY you!

:angel::foryou:

I kid of course.I'll.relax now, :sorry:

You clearly said that grades could go up and down. So why when you say it, it's ok, but when I sell a book either after a press when defects didn't come out or after a couple of presses and give it a higher grade, am I wrong? Yes I understand if I gave a "guaranteed" grade, yes I get that, but we're all giving our opinions. You're not more right then me. If I gave the guarantee and it came back not as stated, I made the transaction right and gave refunds etc. And if you were concerned about your reputation because you were my presser at the time, that was your choice to expose yourself because I don't disclose personal information.

My reputation is secondary here, but nice try with the deflection. The real issue is you tried pulling a fast one earlier and were caught by board members. You come back just selling slabs since you know it is safer and hoped that past transgressions were forgotten, but quickly learned board members rarely forget bad transactions. Hopefully you have learned some kind of lesson and can build up your reputation again. IMO your first attempt was shaky at best.

Dear Slab-pro,

Cheers, Howard

The answer of course is the potential for $$$

Why doesn't he just sell on eBay where no one knows his rep?

Dan

It's interesting how often some guys help bury themselves in situations like this. If Slab-Pro had just listed his slabs and taken his lumps for past transgressions, he might have eventually been able to operate around here. But he just can't seem to put away his shovel.

Is he Stu?

:lol:

Nope. I am my own man. :headbang:

Cheers, Howard

No - I was talking about Slab Pro, since Stu has been banned from the CGC boards but shows up almost every weekend under a new name.

;)

-slym

Can someone break this down for me-I've read thru the threads and the only infractions possibly i can find is he

overgraded a book and was slow to refund. In simple words can someone explain how he is a thief?

He bought books graded at 9.0 and he pressed them and they came back 9.0, so he cracked them out again and sent them in and they got 9.8s.

Just caught up on this thread and my head is pounding. Going from 9.0 to 9.8 is like night and day. Did he actually show you the upgraded slab or is this hearsay?

He bought books graded at 9.0 and he pressed them and they came back 9.0, so he cracked them out again and sent them in and they got 9.8s.

Just caught up on this thread and my head is pounding. Going from 9.0 to 9.8 is like night and day. Did he actually show you the upgraded slab or is this hearsay?

Many years ago I bought a batch of IM #55's from a local show. I sent in about 5 copies to get graded and they all came back in various grades - I think they went 9.0, 9.0, 9.2 9.2, 9.6 or something like that.

I was stupified that the 9.0 copies came back in such a low graded but I needed the money and so sold all the copies off.

Well, Jive Turkey bought one of my 9.0 copies and on a straight resub with no pressing the book regraded a 9.6.

I never did figure out how or why but there you have it. Jive, you out there? :hi:

We can get off topic here all day Roy and tell stories about 9.0's turning into 9.8's or visa versa on a straight resub. If things like this are happening, someone is either grading them wrong in the up front, or the second time around, IMO. And its just my opinion.

You defending this guy Roy? Or you just telling stories?

Why are people so quick to light a torch?

I'm telling stories in the hopes that it helps everyone get along.

When Slab Pro posted their books for sale yesterday the first thing I did is text Joey to make sure Slab Pro made amends with Joey and I PMd Slab Pro to make sure they made amends with Joey. The both said they did so I dropped it.

I know Joey better than I do Slab Pro but I know them both. I've probably met and talked to Mr Slab Pro and his wife a half dozen times. I don't think Mr Slab Pro is a scam artist but then I don't know him well enough to vouch for him fully.

What I do know though, is that the truth is always somewhere in between what two people see because no two people see or hear exactly the same thing. That doesn't necessarily mean one person is lying. It just means that often misunderstandings or grey area can be taken as fact and used against people even if they don't mean to incriminate themselves.

There's a reason why the constitution allows people to plead the 5th and there is a reason why the law does not recommend for a person to talk to a police officer without a lawyer if incriminated for a crime, even if you are innocent.

And how many times have we seen mountains made out of mole hills on here?

For that reason I'm not quick to judge people, especially when there is a lot on the line, like someone's reputation.

Now if someone has damning evidence of a serial offender that's an entirely different story.

I will give my advice though, since this is a public thread. If I was Mr Slab Pro and I'd known that there was a thread on here about me last year I'd probably have predicated my sales thread with a 'Hey guys, haven't been here in a while and I did have some issues in the with a board member but I'm happy to say that they've been cleared up and here is what I have for sale if anyone is interested." or something like that.

We can get off topic here all day Roy and tell stories about 9.0's turning into 9.8's or visa versa on a straight resub. If things like this are happening, someone is either grading them wrong in the up front, or the second time around, IMO. And its just my opinion.

I don't mean to get off topic. I was simply replying to you because these things do happen. :)

Basically what we have for those just coming in based on what I can derive is this.

1). John (Slab pro) is playing the crack/press/resub game.

2). He used to send books in to Joe Grisola to get pressed.

3). After they are pressed they are sent to CGC and graded.

4). This is the cloudy part. John (Slab pro) gets the book(s) back from CGC, doesn't like the grades and still sees defects in the books. Maybe a call was made to CGC/Matt (CCS) who stated that the book wasn't pressed correctly.

5). Again a cloudy area so I'll assume that the book(s) were pressed by CCS but were or maybe not graded by CGC. Books are listed on Ebay by John (Slab pro) raw with "Guaranteed CGC" grades.

6). A couple of buyers buy the "Guaranteed CGC grade X.X" raw books, send them in to get graded and books do not grade out.

7). Joe Grisola sees these auctions and doesn't like the listings language based on the fact that the books he worked on would not grade out the "guaranteed" grades. Finds this business practice not to his liking and does not do business with John (Slab pro) any longer.

8). Passion one of the "Guaranteed CGC grade X.X" has issues with John (Slab pro) in communications and refunding of money. From what I can gather he has gotten the book purchase back but not his grading fees.

9). John is selling CGC books in the Golden/Silver Age forum which obviously is off certain forum members who had issues with his (Slab pro) now claimed former selling techniques.

Apologies if I'm leaving anything out.