• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

which still isn't so great, i agree.

chip, i think the $6.50 shipping scares off purchasers on some books. obviously some hotter stuff, more expensive stuff, it matters less. i understand your legitimate rationale for it and that you aren't making money from it.

problem is, i don't think ebay has a good way to offer free shipping on auctions and let you build it into the price because people who win multiple auctions are skrewed and you are skrewed on the fees if you knock $2-$5 off every additional purchase, etc. i don't think ebay lets you build this into your shipping cost, does it?

There are different options on multiple item shipping if you have a store setup. A store costs a monthly fee.

I really don't see how my shipping costs scare people off, as I now have over 70 followers and more are added every week. When my customers pay for $6.50 shipping, they get a professionally packed and shipped item that arrives safely. I also charge less than 95% of the comic book sellers on eBay do. I need to be able to charge a flat fee for shipping one book so it's easier on me. It's at the lowest cost I can offer. eBay takes 65 cents of that right off the bat as well.

How many auctions do you guys run each week?

Peace,

Chip

Edited by Chip Cataldo

I really don't see how my shipping costs scare people off, as I now have over 70 followers and more are added every week. When my customers pay for $6.50 shipping, they get a professionally packed and shipped item that arrives safely. I also charge less than 95% of the comic book sellers on eBay do. I need to be able to charge a flat fee for shipping one book so it's easier on me. It's at the lowest cost I can offer. eBay takes 65 cents of that right off the bat as well.

Peace,

Chip

Ive only got 10 going now since im redoing all my pics with scans, but at one point I had 200 bin's running

Peace,

Chip

Your high shipping costs most definitely turn away customers. Its not an argument over whether you are charging a fair price or not, its a psychological thing. You have 70 followers because you have hundreds of 99 cent auction listings on a large variety of books, so people are willing to eat the high shipping cost. The problem is that buyers don't like it when the book costs them 2 dollars and the shipping costs them three times that amount.

You would be much better off if you offset some of your advertised shipping cost into the cost of the book. Instead of starting a book at $0.99 with a $6.50 shipping charge you should try starting the book off at $2.99 or $3.99 and bring that shipping cost down to $4.50 or $3.50. It is more appealing to the customer even though the total price remains the same.

Peace,

Chip

There a group of people on these very boards that don't believe you should charge one penny more than what the actual post office charges are. If it costs $9.50 to ship a priority package, then they expect you to charge them $9.50 and not a dollar more. They have zero concept that it costs time and money to pack, travel to the PO, and mail out packages. The buyer entitlement attitudes here really befuddle me sometimes and yes, I know full well that some people take advantage and charge outrageous shipping and "handling" fees and I know there are ways to minimize shipping costs such as free priority boxes and house pickup of packages by your mail carrier. However, even these measures don't work in all cases.

You would be much better off if you offset some of your advertised shipping cost into the cost of the book. Instead of starting a book at $0.99 with a $6.50 shipping charge you should try starting the book off at $2.99 or $3.99 and bring that shipping cost down to $4.50 or $3.50. It is more appealing to the customer even though the total price remains the same.

The total price won't be the same in all cases.

How so?

How so?

Auction # 1

Starting bid - $0.99

Shipping - $6.50

Ending bid - $25

Final cost to buyer - $31.50

Auction # 2

Starting bid - $2.99

Shipping - $3.50

Ending bid - $25

Final cost to buyer - $28.50

Could the lower shipping cost theoretically lead to more buyers and a higher ending price? Yeah, it could. However, there's no guarantee that it will.

How so?

Auction # 1

Starting bid - $0.99

Shipping - $6.50

Ending bid - $25

Auction # 2

Starting bid - $2.99

Shipping - $3.50

Ending bid - $25

Could the lower shipping cost theoretically lead to more buyers and a higher ending price? Yeah, it could. However, there's no guarantee that it will.

If you believe a two dollar difference in the opening bid is what determines the occurrence of a bidding war, I can't help you.

Peace,

Chip

None I only run BINs for a long time. I will occasionally run an auction on a hot book. Or when I plan to blow out books that I don't care what they go for. Auctions bring out all the problems with ebay in my opinion.

Your shipping cost is on the high end. Flat Rate cost is about $5. Nothing wrong with charge additional shipping, but $1.50 is a little on the high end. Run a trial with lowered shipping and see how it does for a month. Then compare it to the previous month and you will have your answer.

Flat rate for an *envelope* is $4.90 to $5.15 depending on the region. I don't ship in envelopes because there's a greater chance of the book being damaged. I ship boxed Priority which gives the comics the best chance to show up in the exact condition they were purchased in. It's also better for the customer as I sell many more higher grade books than I do lower grade.

Also to address an earlier point, a higher opening bid means a higher cost on my end to list the book in the first place. Multiply that by the 510 auctions I'm running this week and you've got a larger operating expense on my end even if it's 10 cents more to list each book.

Finally, a $6.50 shipping charge means I only have $5.85 of that available to me to pay for the cost of shipping the book. Minimum charge to me for shipping one comic from SC to CA is $6.51.

Customer service is the bottom line here while still keeping it realistic for my business to run smoothly.

Peace,

Chip

When I sell raw books, I use a cardboard comic mailer that costs me about a $1 each. It costs me $2.59 shipping and I charge $3.75 for shipping. I used BINs for raw books, CGC slabs all start off at .99 cents opening bid, no reserve, 5 day auction...It goes for what it goes for.

How so?

Auction # 1

Starting bid - $0.99

Shipping - $6.50

Ending bid - $25

Auction # 2

Starting bid - $2.99

Shipping - $3.50

Ending bid - $25

If you believe a two dollar difference in the opening bid is what determines the occurrence of a bidding war, I can't help you.

And what happens if you don't get a bidding war?

At some point if enough people are saying something there maybe a chance it could be true (unless the conversation is about ASM2) It's great you want to "offer the best possible customer experience" but in business the more successful ones are the ones that adapt and evolve. I think Fastball gave some great advice, test it out.

How so?

Auction # 1

Starting bid - $0.99

Shipping - $6.50

Ending bid - $25

Auction # 2

Starting bid - $2.99

Shipping - $3.50

Ending bid - $25

And what happens if you don't get a bidding war?

Your book gets 1 bid and sells for the same total price it would have if you started it at 99 cents.

Starting an auction at 99 cents isn't appealing to anyone but the first bidder.

You can figure out that $6.50 is perceived to be too high a shipping cost, and that it is negatively impacting sales, by reading the numerous responses in this thread and the other threads where Chip has talked about his auctions. This feedback coming from other eBayers who are trying to help him out, who buy and sell comics regularly.

Also Chip, the idea that a book has to be shipped in a box is absolute nonsense. I understand wanting to keep your buyers happy, but whatever sales and costs you have to eat due to a book getting damaged in transit will be offset by the increase in sales you see from a lowered shipping cost.

As Fastball said you should try changing things up a for a couple of weeks or a month and see if you notice a difference in your numbers.

I'm not talking about having a store full of books or selling comics "once in a while." I'm talking about the logistics of changing my shipping practices when I list 250-400 auctions a week on average. That means I'd have to lay out at least $300 up front to purchase the comic mailers and who knows how much more to get "regular" boxes for those that purchase multiple books. Or are you guys just suggesting I change up the single book shipping to $3.50 for those that only want to purchase one book?

I had 140 auctions end tonight that did VERY well, so I'm still not really convinced of how much I'm hurting myself by charging $6.50 minimum shipping.

Peace,

Chip

I do also want to say that it may seem at times like I'm being a stubborn , but I really DO appreciate the advice being offered up here. I'm all about making more money for my family. We really depend on how well I've been doing...we need to improve our life in many different areas as soon as we possibly can.

Peace,

Chip

I do also want to say that it may seem at times like I'm being a stubborn , but I really DO appreciate the advice being offered up here. I'm all about making more money for my family. We really depend on how well I've been doing...we need to improve our life in many different areas as soon as we possibly can.

Peace,

Chip

So if you don't sell any books, you all starve to death? hm

Seriously? This is not the thread for discussing theories behind your livelihood. :makepoint:

Let's get back on track. Went looking for X-Men #317 (1st Blink?) in my long boxes based on someone's recommendation, may have pulled it previously as it wasn't where it should be. Did find this one however . . . :grin:

linky-dink