• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

And if I'm not mistaken, the people who are floating this theory are sitting on the very books we should be buying. meh

You're mistaken.

This might surprise you, but not everyone posts solely out of self-interest.

So, a straight up answer, do you have any of the books for sale you are suggesting people should be buying up?

Nope.

1. I already said that I'm not "sitting" on these books.

2. Why would I sell them if they haven't even BEGUN to achieve what I think is their potential?

Selling my ASM "Vol 2" #1-29? Why? They sell for nothing.

Deadpool #13-60? Why? They sell for nothing. Barely cover price.

But, I'll be more than happy to buy any that anyone is selling.

This period of low print runs that people are talking about is hurt by the fact that there are no "keys" or memorable runs during that time. Even a book like Ultimate Spider-Man gets no attention now in the back issue market. Other than collectors filling holes in their runs, these books won't be sought after.

People said the exact same thing about New Mutants #98 and X-Force #2...among others...for a decade+.

We shall see.

This period of low print runs that people are talking about is hurt by the fact that there are no "keys" or memorable runs during that time. Even a book like Ultimate Spider-Man gets no attention now in the back issue market. Other than collectors filling holes in their runs, these books won't be sought after.

People said the exact same thing about New Mutants #98 and X-Force #2...among others...for a decade+.

We shall see.

Huh? I don't think anyone talked about low print runs during the X-Force 2 days? And New Mutants 98 was hot by the end of the year it came out. The whole Liefeld run was hot at that point, but you know that. As for memorable runs, during the "X-Force 2 days" you still had the hot artist syndrome going on with Jim Lee on X-Men, and McFarlane on ASM/Spider-Man. It didn't take 10 + years for Deadpool to break out in the Marvel Universe.

However, we are almost 15 years from those low print run marvel books and I can't name a single character to emerge from the timeline that is important.

And I disagree that there aren't any "memorable runs" from the era.

Batman #608-619

Authority #1-16

Planetary #1-26

Apocalypse: The Twelve

Cataclsym/No Man's Land (one of the best long term Bat sagas ever)

Astro City #1-22

Flash #164-200

Loeb/McGuinness Superman (#154-180ish.)

Preacher

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

Superman: Red Son

Y: The Last Man

Fables

30 Days of Night

Formerly Known As The Justice League

Identity Crisis

Countdown to Infinite Crisis (and the four titles, all outstanding)

And that's just off the top of my head. The era is filled with outstanding runs....they just haven't all gotten the press they should because the industry was in such doldrums.

Other than collectors filling holes in their runs, these books won't be sought after.

We shall see.

Huh? I don't think anyone talked about low print runs during the X-Force 2 days?

Maybe this will clarify:

Other than collectors filling holes in their runs, these books won't be sought after.

People were saying the exact same thing....that these "books won't be sought after"...about New Mutants #98 and X-Force #2.

We shall see.

Huh? I don't think anyone talked about low print runs during the X-Force 2 days? And New Mutants 98 was hot by the end of the year it came out. The whole Liefeld run was hot at that point, but you know that. As for memorable runs, during the "X-Force 2 days" you still had the hot artist syndrome going on with Jim Lee on X-Men, and McFarlane on ASM/Spider-Man. It didn't take 10 + years for Deadpool to break out in the Marvel Universe.

Um. Deadpool was a blip in 1993, and then was forgotten until 2008/2009.

He not only did not break out, he was completely forgotten for nearly 20 years.

And New Mutants #98 came out in December of 1990, and it *was* hot...but only because it was part of the Liefeld run. It had nothing to do with Deadpool.

However, we are almost 15 years from those low print run marvel books and I can't name a single character to emerge from the timeline that is important.

I don't have any idea what you mean by "X-Force 2 days", as it relates to the discussion.

Sorry.

ok... "Um. Deadpool was a blip in 1993, and then was forgotten until 2008/2009.

He not only did not break out, he was completely forgotten for nearly 20 years"

So getting a solo book in 1997 didn't mean anything? (shrug)

Well no, it didn't really, because as RMA says it didn't become relevant until much later.

Well no, it didn't really, because as RMA says it didn't become relevant until much later.

I finished off my original 100 issue New Mutants run in 2001 when I bought 50-100 in a lot on eBay for $35. A few years ago I slabbed the 98 as a 9.6 and the 87 as a 9.0. In the early 2000s there was not a lot of interest on the Liefeld books as back issues. Price guides from this era still exist, it's not like we have to just pontificate on it. Anyone have a scan or photo handy? If not, I'll try to get one posted after work.

Maverick also got a solo book in 1997... I don't think most people know him now.

865937.jpg

Maverick's solo book

And if I'm not mistaken, the people who are floating this theory are sitting on the very books we should be buying. meh

You're mistaken.

So, a straight up answer, do you have any of the books for sale you are suggesting people should be buying up?

Nope.

2. Why would I sell them if they haven't even BEGUN to achieve what I think is their potential?

Deadpool (1997) issues #13-60 sell for nothing? They may be cover price in California, but I can't find any issue selling for less than $7 around here.

We shall see.

You need to read more comics...Winter Solider?

Did Silver Sable getting a solo book in 1992 mean anything?

Did Deathlok getting a solo book in 1991 AND 1999 mean anything?

Did Cable getting a solo book in 1993 mean anything?

Did Spiderwoman getting a solo book in 2000 mean anything?

Did Lobo having endless minis throughout the 90's mean anything?

We are talking about the value and demand of the first appearance, not whether the character was published or not. Lots and lots of characters are published, whose first appearances aren't worth much. Deadpool was one of them, from the time the "heat" faded after his first mini, until about 2009.

You're mistaken.

Nope.

Deadpool (1997) issues #13-60 sell for nothing? They may be cover price in California, but I can't find any issue selling for less than $7 around here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dead-Pool-34-by-Marvel-Comics-/151424784748?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item23419ed96c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-COMICS-DEADPOOL-issue-56-/261562427900?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce655e9fc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-19-Modern-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-1998-VF-/181517596377?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a434ab6d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-21-Modern-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-1998-NM-/171448452317?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27eb1fc4dd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-47-Cruel-Summer-Part-2-of-3-Ananastasia-Appearance-/371135598370?hash=item566967cf22

Just random copies that sold for around cover price or less. Yes, shipping is involved for the buyer, but the seller isn't making that, and books can be, and are, combined.

That means someone wanting to sell them on eBay, and expecting any sort of money for their time, would have to buy them for 50 cents each, or less.

Meanwhile, back in 1991, a dealer could pay $5-$10-$15 for a New Mutants #88, and sell it for $25-$30...in 1991 dollars. In late 1992/early 1993, a dealer could pay $50-$75 for a Harbinger #1 and sell it for $125-$150, or $50 for a Rai #4 and sell it for $75-$80.

And, putting things in perspective, $7 is pretty much "nothing", in this era of $4-$6 cover prices. The difference between $2-$3 and $7 isn't much, in the grand scheme, unless you're selling many multiple copies.

You're mistaken.

Nope.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dead-Pool-34-by-Marvel-Comics-/151424784748?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item23419ed96c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MARVEL-COMICS-DEADPOOL-issue-56-/261562427900?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item3ce655e9fc

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-19-Modern-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-1998-VF-/181517596377?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item2a434ab6d9

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-21-Modern-Age-Marvel-Comic-Book-1998-NM-/171448452317?pt=US_Comic_Books&hash=item27eb1fc4dd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Deadpool-47-Cruel-Summer-Part-2-of-3-Ananastasia-Appearance-/371135598370?hash=item566967cf22

Just random copies that sold for around cover price or less. Yes, shipping is involved for the buyer, but the seller isn't making that, and books can be, and are, combined.

That means someone wanting to sell them on eBay, and expecting any sort of money for their time, would have to buy them for 50 cents each, or less.

Meanwhile, back in 1991, a dealer could pay $5-$10-$15 for a New Mutants #88, and sell it for $25-$30...in 1991 dollars. In late 1992/early 1993, a dealer could pay $50-$75 for a Harbinger #1 and sell it for $125-$150, or $50 for a Rai #4 and sell it for $75-$80.

And, putting things in perspective, $7 is pretty much "nothing", in this era of $4-$6 cover prices. The difference between $2-$3 and $7 isn't much, in the grand scheme, unless you're selling many multiple copies.

So basically you can't find any Deadpool (1997) issues selling for less than $7 in Canada. You wrote a lot of words to essentially say, "I agree with Plantman's post, but $7 isn't much compared to current cover prices."

You're mistaken.

Nope.

So basically you can't find any Deadpool (1997) issues selling for less than $7 in Canada. You wrote a lot of words to essentially say, "I agree with Plantman's post, but $7 isn't much compared to current cover prices."

I have no idea. I don't live in Canada, and haven't been in Canada since 1992. I've never looked for any comic in Canada, much less Deadpool.

I "wrote a lot of words" so that my point would be clearly understood, with supporting data to back it up. That is the point of discussion, is it not?

There's a tone of orneriness around here lately. I wonder why.

hm

We are talking about the value and demand of the first appearance, not whether the character was published or not. Lots and lots of characters are published, whose first appearances aren't worth much. Deadpool was one of them, from the time the "heat" faded after his first mini, until about 2009.

This is really silly. If you are a blip in 1993 and then forgotten you wouldn't have a ongoing monthly title come out 4 years later.

You're mistaken.

Nope.

I have no idea. I don't live in Canada, and haven't been in Canada since 1992. I've never looked for any comic in Canada, much less Deadpool.

I "wrote a lot of words" so that my point would be clearly understood, with supporting data to back it up. That is the point of discussion, is it not?

There's a tone of orneriness around here lately. I wonder why.

hm

I am not trying to fight with you. I was trying to describe the price situation in my area and implicitly asking you if you thought Deadpool (1997) issues selling for $7 minimum were undervalued.

This is really silly. If you are a blip in 1993 and then forgotten you wouldn't have a ongoing monthly title come out 4 years later.

That's not his point. His point is that there was enough baseline interest in the character that he got a solo title, but he wasn't red hot until a few years back.

Certainly, in 1997, when the first solo series was launched, the rabid Deadpool buyers and Cosplayers did not exist yet.