• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overlooked and Potentially Undervalued Long/Mid-Term
2 2

798 posts in this topic

I think Marvel Age Annuals #1-3 have potential, with #3 having the most.

Why? Do they contain out-of-context, non story related previews of new characters?

An argument could be made that Marvel Age Annual #2 is the first (cameo) appearance of The Marauders, but nobody cares about them anyway.

These annuals, to me, should appeal to completionists who want to collect every Claremont X-Men story or every Gruenwald Squadron Supreme story or every comic featuring Jim Lee (or Todd McFarlane) artwork. Having just written that, 500Club is probably right about these not having much potential.

Booster Gold #1

Good call. Not really valuable book, but I can't find one anywhere. (shrug)

Seems like these are much easier to find now. I counted 30 of them on ebay today (obviously at various grades). It's still a great book to find in high grade, but I think the 1st appearance craze has brought more of these out of the wood-works.

Another one to look at is Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E #0. First appearance Stargirl. Female first appearance characters have been red hot lately. Maybe not a tier 1 character, but this book is pretty difficult to find and has some mid/long term potential.

I think Angela has tremendous potential in skyrocketing. What with all the latest over-popularization of female characters, Im picking every early Angela appearance I can get, not just Spawn #9.. the limited series, the Special and the 1st Marvel appearances are dirt cheap.. If Angela gets featured in a GOTG or Age Of Ultron movie this character will most likely join the ranks of Harley, Spider-Gwen and others..

I think Angela has tremendous potential in skyrocketing. What with all the latest over-popularization of female characters, Im picking every early Angela appearance I can get, not just Spawn #9.. the limited series, the Special and the 1st Marvel appearances are dirt cheap.. If Angela gets featured in a GOTG or Age Of Ultron movie this character will most likely join the ranks of Harley, Spider-Gwen and others..

I have been picking up copies when I can too, but in reflection i dont think we will ever see Angela in a movie. Her heritage is too embroiled in controversy with the legal action between Todd McFarlane and Neil Gaimen, and now they both share creator credit for her. It may be too much of a headache in terms of royalties and permissions.

Edited by Revol

But seriously, that highlights my point.

$3, $5, $7, $10....that's nothing compared to how few of these books are out there. All it would take is just some overall demand, and the books disappear.

Look, why is Spidey #50 worth $XXX in VG? The book has easily 50-100k copies of its original run still extant. It's not rare. AT ALL. It is extremely common.

And that's why, until the 1990's, these books were....yes, you guessed it: $5-$7 in "Near Mint."

Pick up an OPG from 1985, and the prices will kill you.

So why are these books worth so much? Demand outstrips supply.

If...IF...(note that word, people)...demand like this trickles down to DP as a character, those books will be in the same boat...they'll just be in a lot higher cumulative grade.

If not...hey, at least you'll know you have something that's a lot less common than almost all of the stuff printed from the 70's-1995.

Very good points. I just read the Deadpool Omnibus, and the Deadpool stories were so cool and different. Wait until mainstream finds out how cool Deadpool is,then demand will really outstrip supply.

Booster Gold #1

Seems like these are much easier to find now. I counted 30 of them on ebay today (obviously at various grades). It's still a great book to find in high grade, but I think the 1st appearance craze has brought more of these out of the wood-works.

Another one to look at is Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E #0. First appearance Stargirl. Female first appearance characters have been red hot lately. Maybe not a tier 1 character, but this book is pretty difficult to find and has some mid/long term potential.

Stars and S.T.R.I.P.E #0. Geoff Johns was the writer. This was a fun read.

Booster Gold #1

In the last year, I grabbed a couple Booster Gold # 1s cheap at local shows. One, a newsstand version. I keep looking for them but haven't found any lately

Why? Do they contain out-of-context, non story related previews of new characters?

They actually have original stories. I'm not sure if any characters are introduced, though. I'm also not sure how much potential these have to catch on.

#3 has possibly the first appearance of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse all together with Apocalypse. It's basically the same image as the cover of X-Factor #19.

I have been picking up copies when I can too, but in reflection i dont think we will ever see Angela in a movie. Her heritage is too embroiled in controversy with the legal action between Todd McFarlane and Neil Gaimen, and now they both share creator credit for her. It may be too much of a headache in terms of royalties and permissions.

See, I always thought that Gaimen took her to Marvel so he can explore the big screen possibilities, and the fact that shes involved in not one but 2 upcoming movie series makes me think that thats how its gonna go.

If Angela gets featured in a GOTG or Age Of Ultron movie this character will most likely join the ranks of Harley, Spider-Gwen and others..

Especially if Marvel gets her to wear slippers.

;)

-slym

Haha

Listen to the Hippo, Marvel!!!

They actually have original stories. I'm not sure if any characters are introduced, though. I'm also not sure how much potential these have to catch on.

#3 has possibly the first appearance of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse all together with Apocalypse. It's basically the same image as the cover of X-Factor #19.

Ive bought several Marvel age comics for that reason. No one has ever valued them. I can usally get them for 2 or 3 for a $1 currently. If its in high grade and features a 1st appearance I pick it up. I got a nice pile now.

Edited by Fastballspecial

Ive bought several Marvel age comics for that reason. No one has ever valued them. I can usally get them for 2 or 3 for a $1 currently. If its in high grade and features a 1st appearance I pick it up. I got a nice pile now.

I have one that I bought for $0.25. I also picked up the Inhumans one with Medusa and Black Bolt in the cover advertising for the graphic novel.

I have a question regarding the $2.50 variant. Is that on most of the Valiant books or only on the Visitor vs. Valiant? It's been a while. I have several $2.50 books and I'm curious. Thank you.

There are a handful of them. I believe X-O #43 or 44 also had a $2.50 version, the Destroyer #1 also had a $2.50 version. I can't think of the others off-hand.