• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What is the most expensive book you have ever put a tape-pull on?

79 posts in this topic

I actually bought it this way (and got a pretty good deal on it because of the tape pull), but:

0309130003451.jpg

Kinda looks more like a piece of tape was applied to the cover for some reason, and then, much later, someone tried to remove it. hm

I ALWAYS use MAGIC TAPE. while it does not hold the bag closed quite as well, I have never had a tape pull in over 25 years of bagging/boarding.

I am not saying I have never had the tape touch a book, but on the rare occasions I have been able to remove the tape without any trace.

I was showing a Blue Beetle (GA) 1 to a customer at the 1979 Chicago Comicon. The perspective buyer caught the tape putting it back in the bag.

Arrgh - I was asking $300 for the book. :makepoint: Ended up selling it for $100 to a different guy.

I was grading some books I had bought at a convention and one of the Daredevil books (either 97 or 99 VF+ condition I think) had a long piece of tape on the bag that got stuck to the book. I got most of the tape off with no problem but when the tape and book separated a small bit of the red color in the D was gone.

Not a tape pull, but a similar bone-head move:

I was taking a lot of stuff from my car into my house and added a Saga #1 9.8 to the top of that pile. Something shifted or slipped, and the slab fell to the pavement.

The case cracked (of course) and the comic shifted and pulled the cover against the staples (not completely off).

Reminds me of the time I met an artist for lunch and to exchange the money for the art. Well he hands me the art (a painting on thick board) and I promptly drop it onto the asphalt parking lot square on the corner. Nothing says I respect your work like damaging it in the first second of ownership lol:facepalm:

I ALWAYS use MAGIC TAPE. while it does not hold the bag closed quite as well, I have never had a tape pull in over 25 years of bagging/boarding.

I am not saying I have never had the tape touch a book, but on the rare occasions I have been able to remove the tape without any trace.

That works, but I wouldn't even know what that is exactly or where to buy it. I simply peel the tape every time and displace it from the flap to the bag around the middle of the spine so that there is zero chance of the tape getting caught.

When I am done I reinsert the book, and then replace the tape from the spine to the flap.

I was showing a Blue Beetle (GA) 1 to a customer at the 1979 Chicago Comicon. The perspective buyer caught the tape putting it back in the bag.

Arrgh - I was asking $300 for the book. :makepoint: Ended up selling it for $100 to a different guy.

I had a similar experience back when I had my shop. I made the customer pay full sticker

Never had a tape pull. I was clever enough to learn my lesson when I watched a supposedly experienced dealer acquaintance put a fat pull on the front cover of a GA BATMAN 4.

Since I observed that little heartbreaker the tape comes all the way off, and if I'm rebagging the tape gets cut, not pulled

(The dealer sent the tape and the book in to Susan C and she refurbished it. When it came back it was gorgeous)

A few years ago I contacted a guy that I was planning on purchasing a Showcase 22 from - he told me he'd check out the book and send me pics. Later he contacted me with a horror story - he forgot to take the tape off when getting it out to look for flaws. He sent me a pic of the damage - a huge tape section of the cover was gone. Needless to say, I didn't purchase the book and he seriously lost out on some $ toward resale on that one...

:ohnoez: