• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

speculators picks for the next upcomming week.

171 posts in this topic

Chasing #1s of a title is like chasing rookie cards. Some get hot, some die off. Either way unless its a manufactured collectible, there seems to be stacks of whatever you want somewhere.

+1

Looking at the print runs of #1 there is certainly an impact on the numbers caused by speculation which wasn't seen in 2012. Some of the popular titles from 2012 like Revival, Manhattan Projects or even Thief of Thieves saw print runs of approx 18K each for above average titles.

Buying deep into anticipated titles from 2013 in advance seems foolhardy at best. If you are sitting on 50+ copies of East of West #1 which has a 50K print run then good luck to you. Same with something like Jupiter's Legacy which is showing 100K (???)... even other titles like Rat Queens is now starting with 25K and selling out instead of the de-facto 18K standard that we used to see. Who can blame them, with so many people chasing #1's why not print something that will sell in the primary market.

you only need to be right 1 time every 4 to make money....that is if you NEVER sell the other issues...

It's fair enough that Ranx said earlier that looking for hot back issues or for a title that has legitimately got some heat over time is more profitable (and I agree with this)... but saying that you only need 1 in 4 to hit is just gambling plain and simple.

Unless you are a comic book store or facilitate sigs or slabs then you are not going to see much profit any more.

Another one of these threads.

Glorious.

I find modern comic speculation thrilling.

It is wildly fast paced, unforgiving & incredibly hard to do properly.

The book everyone will want this week:

WOLVERINE #11

MARVEL COMICS

(W) Paul Cornell (A/CA) Alan Davis

• With the world on the brink of viral apocalypse, Logan and Kitty Pryde face down the Thirteen Ninjas of Sabretooth's Hand!

• And that's not all - enter Lord Deathstrike and the Silver Samurai!

• It all comes to a head with one final moment that will change the face of Wolverine - forever! Blah, Blah blabidy Blah...

It will be hot for a short volatile window.

But ultimately the book to get that will have long term potential in my not so humble opinion is:

Uncanny_Avengers_Vol_1_5.jpg

Modern comics are the wellspring of the back issue market.

I'm speculating that the current Wolverine storyline is going to light the Apocalypse twins back issues on fire.

( but like, I said, modern comic speculation is unforgiving & incredibly hard to do properly. )

:0

http://marvel.wikia.com/Apocalypse_Twins_%28Earth-616%29

I have to say that Larry quite often chimes in on a book when the retailer well is dry and everyone is thirsty which, when it comes to moderns, has been a winner more often than not.

(not saying that you don't speculate across the board though...)

Speculating across the board would be a little daring and I doubt fruitful. Speculating on particular books like EOW, Day Men, Clone (not pre-order), NWM, Saga, and many more worked out great if you sold quick or even bought on the downsides. Jupite's Legacy ??? What was I thinking ? I'll tell you what I was thinking lol

Millar and Quitely produced part of one of the best comics series in history and I thought they could do it again and they have. The difference is, the first time they did it, the print run started off at 30-32,000 and ended up at aroud 50,000 by the time it was all said and done.

Where you could turn $40 into $200 on The Authority, you can turn $200 into $40 with Jupiter's Legacy and it IS a great book. Way, way, way too many produced.

I'm still in on EOW although I'm well too the good on these and I think Rat Queens is a good bet too. Feel free to laugh if I'm wrong lol

PS: I order 2 each of the Uncanny Avengers and most of my favorite titles every month. They sent me 20 copies of #5 by mistake and I was too lazy to send them back. Whoops lol How cool is that ?

Speculating across the board would be a little daring and I doubt fruitful. Speculating on particular books like EOW, Day Men, Clone (not pre-order), NWM, Saga, and many more worked out great if you sold quick or even bought on the downsides. Jupite's Legacy ??? What was I thinking ? I'll tell you what I was thinking lol

Millar and Quitely produced part of one of the best comics series in history and I thought they could do it again and they have. The difference is, the first time they did it, the print run started off at 30-32,000 and ended up at aroud 50,000 by the time it was all said and done.

Where you could turn $40 into $200 on The Authority, you can turn $200 into $40 with Jupiter's Legacy and it IS a great book. Way, way, way too many produced.

I'm still in on EOW although I'm well too the good on these and I think Rat Queens is a good bet too. Feel free to laugh if I'm wrong lol

PS: I order 2 each of the Uncanny Avengers and most of my favorite titles every month. They sent me 20 copies of #5 by mistake and I was too lazy to send them back. Whoops lol How cool is that ?

+1

Stick w #1s bought at cover or LCS discount.

Avoid Marvel

Stick with establish Authors like Kirkman, Hickman, Vaughn, Gaiman etc

Avoid Minis.

Avoid Marvel

Avoid Minis.

And Millar and Fraction and JMS? How well are Hickman's Secret and Manhattan Projects doing? Actually how well is EoW doing apart from the RRP?

Avoid relatively unknown writers like the guy who writes Peter Panz and that other guy who writes Todd.

When it comes to speculation there are no rules. It's guesswork. A little educated guesswork perhaps (arguable), but still guesswork.

+1

Avoid Marvel

Avoid Minis.

Gaiman is great, and I'm a big fan, but his books don't seem to do well from a speculative angle. I'm a little surprised Sandman #1 isn't more expensive than it is. And all his post-Sandman stuff hasn't been hot fire for re-sale, unless I'm missing something.

Although, I still recommend buying them just for the enjoyment.

Avoid Marvel

Avoid Minis.

And Millar and Fraction and JMS? How well are Hickman's Secret and Manhattan Projects doing? Actually how well is EoW doing apart from the RRP?

Avoid relatively unknown writers like the guy who writes Peter Panz and that other guy who writes Todd.

When it comes to speculation there are no rules. It's guesswork. A little educated guesswork perhaps (arguable), but still guesswork.

JMS has been hit and miss for investing but great for reading.You are correct in saying that its an educated guess. I was late to the party on both Clone and Todd but still cleaned up because they both fell to their lowest prices right before they blew up. I made money on both and cleared a lot of sets of Clone to boot but only have a few Todd left. We had a little notice on these boards before I heard it anywhere else. I've been pretty lucky with this hobby but I also read everything I buy. If I don't like what I read, I'm out like lightning.

If I do like something more than usual, I will hold it a long time as long as I'm money positive on that portion of my books. In other words, I own them for free so there is no risk remaining in for the long haul. The only trick to this game is not being the last guy or gal holding the books and still having money tied up in them.

Right now ( last month + ), I'm spotting what I perceive to be very low priced buys on ebay which is causing me to spend more money there and less on new stuff. I'm trying to shore up what I think will be rocking in the next 3 months.

Right now ( last month + ), I'm spotting what I perceive to be very low priced buys on ebay which is causing me to spend more money there and less on new stuff. I'm trying to shore up what I think will be rocking in the next 3 months.

I did most of the buying during the 3D craze. Not seeing anything really upcoming though other than Detective #27 for January's titles. I need your crystal ball.

I agree that if you don't like the story, then it is going to be a dog in most cases.

I did most of the buying during the 3D craze. Not seeing anything really upcoming though other than Detective #27 for January's titles. I need your crystal ball.

I agree that if you don't like the story, then it is going to be a dog in most cases.

What I meant was that I'm buying stuff already on the shelves. I'm not seeing anything new and upcoming that I will be buying in quantity so I'm trying to shore up with more stuff that others may have turned away from at this point.

The key is to not buy every #1. Most LCSs still have hot books on the shelf a week later - I let the market decide what is worthwhile and then pick them up to flip en masse a couple of days later after I have read the book. If it reads well and the artwork is good, and there is an early secondary market rise online, then I will pick it up. Sure, you miss the odd book like MP (I did not Ike the artwork flipping throu it at my LCS so I passed), but you also avoid a lot of duds.

Arbitrage. :cloud9:

The key is to not buy every #1. Most LCSs still have hot books on the shelf a week later - I let the market decide what is worthwhile and then pick them up to flip en masse a couple of days later after I have read the book. If it reads well and the artwork is good, and there is an early secondary market rise online, then I will pick it up. Sure, you miss the odd book like MP (I did not Ike the artwork flipping throu it at my LCS so I passed), but you also avoid a lot of duds.

Arbitrage. :cloud9:

This was a lot easier to do when all books were returnable. You had massive piles of good stuff every once in a while and maybe Image is changing the model back to what it was 10 years ago. It makes me no difference as long as i know the rules. ;)