• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

speculators picks for the next upcomming week.

171 posts in this topic

Next week in wolverine:

Something that will change the face of wolverine forever? Is it just a new haircut? what? The item is selling out quick..

Image:

Yeah they rock, but the secondary market isn't really there anymore...still manifest destiny and umbral look good...maybe as the speculators venture elsewhere this market will come back?

IDW: Joe hill: Wraith nuff said?

Deeply Indy:

Small print runs, and seems to be a darling of hollywood, could the options be...cheaper? I'm not feeling any this week though..

Let's see your picks, thoughts, and or BS

I'm definitely going to be getting a few Manifest Destiny 1s as well as Umbral 1, also from image. Some of Valiant's Unity 1 variants also look hot so I may potentially get some of those.

Is it Wraith Welcome from Christmasland you're talking about? Any good?

Image comics lately do not appear to be worth speculating on....Lately we haven't had any dramatic price increases despite everything selling out....

Print runs have been getting higher...'returnability' increases the number of comics that shops order...With such good writing and art, popularity is almost a given, thus everyone gets some and the market gets flooded immediately....so maybe slow burn...i.e. gradual increases in value, unless Hollywood gets in the picture....

My attention is on some of the smaller groups that have high quality, and smaller print runs...Avatar, Titan, Boom....

I agree Jimmy, but what's your picks for next week...? I'd be interested to know...

so far, this is what I plan on buying

JUL131134 HIP HOP FAMILY TREE GN $24.99

SEP131056 NOIR #1 $3.99

I usually only have picks on Tuesdays though because diamond sometimes surprises me with what they release, case and point eminem variant.

I am still amazed weekly how much some of you speculate on a new title. No one is going to admit to a failure, but man some of your boxes have got to be full of by now.

I suppose...but I am always a little surprised at the things that sell eventually....

Look, you don't have to be right every time. If a comic is 3 bucks and a quick escalation goes to about 15 bucks....you only need to be right 1 time every 4 to make money....that is if you NEVER sell the other issues...

But I do agree, hunting back issues is more profitable, it's just limited, you find typically one of a given hot issue...

I am still amazed weekly how much some of you speculate on a new title. No one is going to admit to a failure, but man some of your boxes have got to be full of by now.

I suppose...but I am always a little surprised at the things that sell eventually....

Look, you don't have to be right every time. If a comic is 3 bucks and a quick escalation goes to about 15 bucks....you only need to be right 1 time every 4 to make money....that is if you NEVER sell the other issues...

But I do agree, hunting back issues is more profitable, it's just limited, you find typically one of a given hot issue...

Maybe you're an exception but I find it hard to believe that people can actually make money from modern books when they are buying every #1. Most people don't factor in time, packaging, postage, selling fees etc. etc.

The only way IMO that you can make a bit of cash is if you buy what you like and it happens to be a "hit" but even then how many copies do you buy? 10? 25? 100?

All this BS talk about TV and movies nearly never comes to fruition 99% of the time anyway.

If most people kept an account of what they actually spend money on - and I meant EVERY cent, they'd be surprised at how much they are losing but most look at the speculation side of things with rose colored glasses.

Maybe you're an exception but I find it hard to believe that people can actually make money from modern books when they are buying every #1. Most people don't factor in time, packaging, postage, selling fees etc. etc.

The only way IMO that you can make a bit of cash is if you buy what you like and it happens to be a "hit" but even then how many copies do you buy? 10? 25? 100?

All this BS talk about TV and movies nearly never comes to fruition 99% of the time anyway.

If most people kept an account of what they actually spend money on - and I meant EVERY cent, they'd be surprised at how much they are losing but most look at the speculation side of things with rose colored glasses.

That's the thing, most people don't keep detailed accounts of all the expenses that go along with this. If a book is $3, and you buy 4 and one of them escalates to $15, you've made money? Really? Did you factor in your Ebay fees, paypal fees, the cost of the envelope, the cost of the roll of tape, the cost of the Tetanus shot after you cut yourself on a rusty dumpster trying to get packaging cardboard, Gas if you drive, The bag, the board, etc. All of a sudden your $3 profit has evaporated.

I'm not about to do someone's legwork for them for like 13 cents profit.

Oh, and there's the expenditure of time, which I place a very high premium on.

The key is to not buy every #1. Most LCSs still have hot books on the shelf a week later - I let the market decide what is worthwhile and then pick them up to flip en masse a couple of days later after I have read the book. If it reads well and the artwork is good, and there is an early secondary market rise online, then I will pick it up. Sure, you miss the odd book like MP (I did not Ike the artwork flipping throu it at my LCS so I passed), but you also avoid a lot of duds.

But if you are having fun doing it. That's part of the pay off.

well of course you don't choose EVERy #1 like we did when we were kids....

I have good contacts and when I see movement I can buy...

I got info comming at me every which way...I think that I average 50 percent, and then the things I got wrong still generally sell, but for cover....

No I make no money, but my collection grows....

Its the chase that makes it fun. You network, you travel, you email. The above is a losing proposition overall everytime. You havent noticed all the card collectors coming in?

They got it figured out just ask them. Or as I prefer to think. They thought they had cards figured out too.

You guys are kidding yourself if you havent noticed this trend of the last past two years.

But if you are having fun doing it. That's part of the pay off.

I agree 100%.

It's when people on here pretend that they're rolling in cash because of the profits they make, that's when it's ridiculous.

Its the chase that makes it fun. You network, you travel, you email. The above is a losing proposition overall everytime. You havent noticed all the card collectors coming in?

They got it figured out just ask them. Or as I prefer to think. They thought they had cards figured out too.

You guys are kidding yourself if you havent noticed this trend of the last past two years.

Ah damn. you beat me to the Sports Card reference.