• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

speculators picks for the next upcomming week.

171 posts in this topic

Just wondered if you guys think that speculation in general is getting harder in general? Perhaps over crowded?

For example most of us noticed ToT in the distance and took advantage but the next Kirkman book isn't really going to be the same opportunity is it? This will probably also be the case if BKV releases something else.

... or is there always going to be the next thing around the corner?

I don't think TSG or NWM have inspired much confidence in buyers either. Looking at some of the choices that have been good in the past versus my reading list I cringe a little inside at the books that get passed on which deserve a lot more attention (*cough*SoL*cough*).

/grumble

I think people follow money. There was a lot of easy money to be made during the image / indy boom for the last few years. I think the market is starting to get saturated, and the profits will dwindle, and so will the people just looking for the next thing to flip. So it has become harder to do because supply is meeting the demand (of fans + speculators)

At least that's my 2c.

Ugh, Mind the Gap...I still have a stack of Mind The Gap #1s.

Of course what I don't have anymore are the stacks of Saga and Thief of Thieves that sat next to the MTGs at one point. :)

I have no idea where my MTGs are...If the series gets hot, I'll have to do some digging.

I'm sure I have missed something, but when did speculating change from an anticipated release (Saga, ToT, MTG, Bedlam) or "holy mess, check out Chew and Peter Panzerfaust," to "what's hot this week"?

Yesterday, at 12:02 A.M.

touche_small.jpg

Short term speculation is getting tougher unless we get a slew of new speculators, collectors, what have you... jump in like the last few years who felt like they missed the boat.

Great books are continuing to come out and this is probably the best era to collect/read and enjoy some of the best stories and art that I can remember in my lifetime. Great books will always be in demand as more collectors enter the market in search of them.

It has been a pleasant surprise, but I have enjoyed the profits the past two years and optimistic that I will ride the wave again soon. Along with my core books like spidey and Batman, my strategy has been to buy only books that I feel I will enjoy and also to steer far away from books that are hyped up plus tons of variants.

...my strategy has been to buy only books that I feel I will enjoy and also to steer far away from books that are hyped up plus tons of variants.

That is a good plan/strategy and is one that I have followed. Well that and avoiding threads like this.

...avoiding the information. Posting the occasional antagonizing comment, on the other hand... :baiting:

Take for example the recent 3-D hype. The only three books that I bought were Joker, JD and Harley and I didn't have any trouble getting them for less than cover. I saw all the hoopla and ridiculous prices and thought to myself, "did I miss the boat?" The only reason I got them is because they are Bat books that are a part of my core.

It is difficult not to be pulled in from the hype. Look at all the hype surrounding TV announcements. If you can't get the book at cover or less, wait til prices settle before jumping in. They will all find a bottom.

Buying high and selling low is a mistake I've overcome since the stock market crash a few years ago.

That period where The Sixth Gun was breaking $100 for #1 and FCBD was a good time as well.

Paid for my entire SDCC trip (from FL) with a $15 investment into TSG #1s. (15 copies from the $1 bins - 9 at a local shop's $1 back issue room and 6 at a local convention.) It afforded my the opportunity to meet creators at SDCC that will never likely travel to FL.

I have a collectible shelf that has my SDCC Five Ghosts Set, The Jim Lee Batman sketch I got, some other Batman sketches I got done there, the Hasbro Boba Fett Black box and my last copy of TSG #1 FCBD (just so I remember how it all happened.)

Can't wait to watch TSG tv show this fall....

edit( I do love TSG, have all 5 volumes and most of the later issues raw.)

Of course what I don't have anymore are the stacks of Saga and Thief of Thieves that sat next to the MTGs at one point. :)

Sat on them too long. I made money on those. Not a lot, but $3 a copy.

Sat on them too long. I made money on those. Not a lot, but $3 a copy.

Same profit you made on Saga?

Always a tough call. Sell now or wait longer?

You did the right thing by selling the hot items instead of sitting on them too long.

------------------------------------

Not necessarily. Both TOT and Saga needed to be aged a bit. I shorted myself of about $1500+ in potential Saga 1 sales by selling copies the moment I got them for $6-$30, depending on when I got them/sold them. (I burned through about 40 copies...what did they peak at raw, $75-$100?)

Ditto for TOT, which I sold for $20 a copy right away.

(And Revival 1s, which I think I sold for $10)

Of course, there is always Skullkickers 1 and 27 #1...needed to list those the day they hit the shelves!

But aging Chew #2 paid off (missed out on #1)

Buy and flip ASAP isn't always the best move, but probably is when the book is a piece of junk pushed just by hype. I actually liked Skullkickers 1, but I didn't see it being a $50+ book so I sold it ASAp at $25.

I think it's harder now. One thing may be that the speculation hits of 1-2 years ago are now established titles. Now that collectors have 5 or 6 new books on their pull list they may be less interested in adding more.

With that said, look at your LCS dollar box. You will see many Image #1s that WERE not hits or were very short lived. For example, Halcyon #1 looked like a very cool concept and it even had some buzz, but where did that go? It just SEEMED like every new book Image pumped out was a speculation hit.

Personally, I thought Velvelt 1 looked like it would be a hit..I guess too many comic shops felt the same way and ordered accordingly. One problem is that people might be like me...with the exception of the above, I look a book up. If it's not already selling at $5-$6 on ebay when i'm looking at it on the rack, i don't bother. I figure i can get it out of a dollar box later (albeit likely a little dinged)

what was that kirkman one shot that came out in 2012...golly, I sold a lot of those for $10-$20...there were tons on the shelves at my various shops

Hardcore...I think Linguiniii used his stash for a fire that served to heat all of Canada last winter

I always chuckle at people who panic and sell too early, but people do it in all markets. Stocks, coins, metals, sports cards and comics alike.

Scared money never survives.

Not everyone can time the exact profit peak. No one should ever be ashamed of logging small profits.