• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do people think New Mutants #98 had a "high print run"...?

380 posts in this topic

You mention the late pricing on the Overstreet. But does anyone remember Comic Values Monthly ? The shops in Brisbane use them as the prices listed for books modern to the silver age were way higher and the CVM as the title states was published monthly. Any hot modern books were priced higher very quickly as what was possible in printed format. I don't have the magazine now as I tossed it years ago. But maybe someone out there maybe still has copies thru this period.

I have those CVMs, somewhere.

Man, was that mag a wreck.

Remember when Flash the TV series premiered in the fall of 1990?

All of a sudden, Flash #1 (1987) was a $30 book!

lol

Jumping back a few pages...

I am trying to figure out why this is so hilarous to you RMA.

A long time popular character gets a T.V. show and CVM raised the price because they were getting reports of the 1987 Flash # 1 selling hard and fast.

Is that not what is happening today? Every movie announcment, every TV show whisper and books ARE... and truely so, going from cover price to $20-150 books overnight. Look at preacher raw # 1's NM's selling for $10-20 went to $75-200 in less than two weeks. There isnt even a show yet! Overstreet will adjust... NEXT YEAR.

Everyone makes fun of CVM and Wizard magazine and all the " crazy and silly " prices they had. I think that during that time, they actually did well with the hot books. I don't think they made prices up on a whim like many of you seem to believe. They had hundreds of contacts nationwide and attended many large shows to figure out what was heating up, and adjusted their prices promptly. Wasnt that the purpose of a monthly price guide?

Im calling everyone out here in this thread and on these forums. You are living, right now, in the middle of a CVM, or wizard. You are buying and selling books in an era that fluctuate hundreds of percent in few days, at times. Look at the 6 month sales history on Ebay for some of the moderns of recent years. Absurd. Look at Bronze and Copper 1st appearances that have languished for decades, straight blowing up.... Raw NM copies of Xfactor 6 going from $10 to $50+ in 6 weeks.

Everytime I hear someone making fun of these old price guides " haha, look at this 1993 issue of Wizard saying XYZ book is worth $50 lol ! I can get these for 50 cents now" it makes me cringe.

We don't need these price guides anymore, because we can see what books are " going for" instantly on Ebay. We can see upward and downward trends.

Here is a modern twist to CVM. The Sixth gun # 1 was a cover price book. NBC optioned and ordered a pilot, it went through the roof. NM # 1's raised in price 3,000% in two weeks. It fell off a cliff when NBC passed. It is still holding some value because people still want to beleive they have the next walking dead in their boxes. If nothing happens in a year or two, it will fall to $10 or less for a NM raw copy. If you looked at the sales history, it looks like a huge hill. Unfortunatly, that huge spike has now scrolled off of ebays 3 month completed listings, so we cant even point a finger and laugh.

The only real difference between now and then is the internet. What a book is " going for" is pretty much set in stone by ebay sales, as it covers the whole of the collecting community for the most part. If CVM listed a book going up 3000% in a few months, It may not have applied to your " neck of the woods". However, in general, they did fairly well IMHO.

Sorry for the rant,and I dont mean to come off as rude, that is not my intention. I just get tired of the CVM/Wizard was absurd/stupid/crazy/insane comments.

Get some perspective folks.

You mention the late pricing on the Overstreet. But does anyone remember Comic Values Monthly ? The shops in Brisbane use them as the prices listed for books modern to the silver age were way higher and the CVM as the title states was published monthly. Any hot modern books were priced higher very quickly as what was possible in printed format. I don't have the magazine now as I tossed it years ago. But maybe someone out there maybe still has copies thru this period.

lol

Because it was 1990.

The internet changed *everything.*

I can elaborate, if you'd like.

Here is a modern twist to CVM. The Sixth gun # 1 was a cover price book. NBC optioned and ordered a pilot, it went through the roof. NM # 1's raised in price 3,000% in two weeks. It fell off a cliff when NBC passed. It is still holding some value because people still want to beleive they have the next walking dead in their boxes. If nothing happens in a year or two, it will fall to $10 or less for a NM raw copy. If you looked at the sales history, it looks like a huge hill. Unfortunatly, that huge spike has now scrolled off of ebays 3 month completed listings, so we cant even point a finger and laugh.

You're comparing 2013-2014 internet sales to price guides of 1990....?

That's an interesting perspective.........

Wow, you deleted that first reply kinda fast.

And here I was going to tell you I would bet my sons life that at least one person bought a X-men comic because of the 2000 movie.

Edited by Silverdream

Wow, you deleted that first reply kinda fast.

And here I was going to tell you I would bet my sons life that at least one person bought a X-men comic because of the 2000 movie.

I didn't delete it. It was simply too wordy for my taste after I posted it.

And the point wasn't about whether one person (or thousands of people) bought an X-Men comic because of the 2000 movie. The point is, it did not help the values of back issues at all. It was like a totally separate universe. Maybe a blip here and there. Comics and films simply weren't tied into each other, yet, not anything like they are now. And 2000 was quite possibly the worst year for comics, new OR back issues, in the entire history of the industry.

However, since you have seen the previous post, I will repost it:

lol

Because it was 1990.

If that doesn't explain it...in 1990, films about superheroes were very scarce (think Batman....and four Supermans....and....that's it.) TV shows about superheroes were even scarcer.

So, this whole "OMG, BUY IT NOW, THERE'S A TV SHOW/MOVIE/YOUTUBE PODCAST COMING OUT!!!!" thing was unheard of. It did not exist.

The release of the X-Men in 2000 did not help X-Men books *at all*.

The release of Spiderman in 2002 helped Spidey books *marginally*.

Now, however, even hints of "the next thing to hit the airwaves", and everyone immediately rushes out to cash in.

This was not the case in 1990.

A long time popular character gets a T.V. show and CVM raised the price because they were getting reports of the 1987 Flash # 1 selling hard and fast.

No they weren't. CVM didn't do any research. This was long before the internet. What were they going to do, go to the 2-3 national cons that were being held? No, because they weren't in the fall. So where did they get this information from?

Hint: they made it up. They had a few dealers that they had on speed dial, and called them to find out what they were currently pushing at their stores. They then read the latest issues of CBG and the Overstreet Update, and then just made it up from there.

You have to understand that Overstreet and the upstart price guides like CVM and Wizard DICTATED the market much more than they reported it. The books that Overstreet didn't have...? They were depressed in the price guide until he obtained them, and then, suddenly, the next year, they went up substantially in price! Coincidence? This has been reported many times, from many dealers, who sold to Bob in the 70's.

Now, by the late 80's/early 90's, at least Overstreet made a serious effort at pricing legitimacy, with their dealer surveys and market reports...did CVM? Not at all.

Was anyone paying $30 for a 3 year old, massively printed DC #1? Maybe in the highest priced New York/LA comic shops. It was certainly not the "average" (which is what a price guide is supposed to reflect.)

In 1990, brand new comic books were $1, candy bars were 35 cents, a first class stamp was 25 cents, the median income was $29,000, and a gallon of gas was $1.32.

$30 then is $53 now. Granted, there were more buyers...but the book had an average print run for a DC #1 from 1987 - 400-500k copies.

Is that not what is happening today? Every movie announcment, every TV show whisper and books ARE... and truely so, going from cover price to $20-150 books overnight. Look at preacher raw # 1's NM's selling for $10-20 went to $75-200 in less than two weeks. There isnt even a show yet! Overstreet will adjust... NEXT YEAR.

Yes. And this is NOT what happened 24 years ago.

Understand: the internet changed everything.

Everyone makes fun of CVM and Wizard magazine and all the " crazy and silly " prices they had. I think that during that time, they actually did well with the hot books. I don't think they made prices up on a whim like many of you seem to believe. They had hundreds of contacts nationwide and attended many large shows to figure out what was heating up, and adjusted their prices promptly. Wasnt that the purpose of a monthly price guide?

Oh boy. In 1990, there were not "many large shows."

Im calling everyone out here in this thread and on these forums. You are living, right now, in the middle of a CVM, or wizard. You are buying and selling books in an era that fluctuate hundreds of percent in few days, at times. Look at the 6 month sales history on Ebay for some of the moderns of recent years. Absurd. Look at Bronze and Copper 1st appearances that have languished for decades, straight blowing up.... Raw NM copies of Xfactor 6 going from $10 to $50+ in 6 weeks.

Remember: the internet changed everything.

Everytime I hear someone making fun of these old price guides " haha, look at this 1993 issue of Wizard saying XYZ book is worth $50 lol ! I can get these for 50 cents now" it makes me cringe.

We don't need these price guides anymore, because we can see what books are " going for" instantly on Ebay. We can see upward and downward trends.

Again: the internet changed *EVERYTHING.*

The only real difference between now and then is the internet.

The "only" difference....?

It changed EVERYTHING.

What a book is " going for" is pretty much set in stone by ebay sales, as it covers the whole of the collecting community for the most part. If CVM listed a book going up 3000% in a few months, It may not have applied to your " neck of the woods". However, in general, they did fairly well IMHO.

Sorry for the rant,and I dont mean to come off as rude, that is not my intention. I just get tired of the CVM/Wizard was absurd/stupid/crazy/insane comments.

Get some perspective folks.

CVM was what Wizard hoped to be, and Overstreet on steroids. It was absurd/stupid/crazy/and insane, and everyone (including dealers) knew it. Thankfully, there WAS the Overstreet Update to counter it, or otherwise a lot of dealers would have made a lot less money. Unfortunately, as collectors prior to the internet know, price guide WAS the price, like it or not. There simply was no other mechanism by which the buying public and dealers had by which to price their backstock. No eBay. No internet. There were stores and shows, and not very many shows (in 1990, there was Wondercon, San Diego....New York...maybe Mid-Ohio?) The very first "local" show I went to was 45 miles away on the SF Peninsula, in South San Fran, at a hotel just outside the airport.

I'll ignore the suggestion to "get some perspective" and simply point out that many of us have not only experience to draw from (which can be, admittedly, faulty at times), but we also have the surviving record in the form of said magazines, which gives us much of the perspective that is necessary.

There was only a single shop in the Bay Area that I shopped at from that time period that dared to use CVM, and he was a hole in the wall in Pleasanton who sat around with the same unsold stock for years.

Everyone else...and there were dozens...used Overstreet. Every single one.

Because while it would have been nice to get the $24 per book that Amazing Spiderman #313 was priced at in CVM, dealers understood that the $10 it was priced at in Overstreet was far more likely to actually sell.

Repeat ad infinitum.

Should we discuss CVM's values for key silver age books vs. reported sales for the time period....? Would that demonstrate how silly they were....?

You miss the point, or dont care to acknowlege it. What I am saying is ( I think you already get it, but you just like being... you. So I will clarify for others )

The sixth gun sales prices are what they are, and you can look at them for yourself. It was a cover price book that blew up, and then went downhill fast. If all of these sales were averaged month to month and put into a magazine and then 20 years later someone looked at it, the reaction would be the same. "How absurd, I can get this for next to nothing now, what were they thinking" and so on.

The problem you seem to have with what im saying is... The average sales on Ebay are fixed, and 100% true, while the magazines were somewhat guessing. Well sure RMA, I agree. I dont agree, however, that they just " Made up" all their prices.

That doesnt change the fact that people paid those prices. I just cant say " go to this website" and prove it, so it didnt happen according to you. If it did happen it was an annomaly and the person was a fool.

Well, imo all those people that paid all that money for SG were suckers. That doesnt mean they didnt spend that money. It's just easy to show.

Yes the price guides affected the hobby. People had to get their information from somewhere. Wizard touted books heating up, and then magically the book was priced higher a few months later. Was that just all made up internally by them? According to you, yes. I say people actually read that, and then went out looking to buy the books! And then retailers reported that back to wizard and CVM ( albiet to a lesser extent, as I beleive Wizard had more contacts ) Imagine that!

I suppose the phenomenon of people talking about a book on these boards and then the book starting to rise on eBay is new, and nothing at all like the speculation by CVM or wizard staff back in the day. No, today we can prove that the speculation works.

* sarcasm warning * Back then it was a massive conspiracy by CVM and Wizard and to a lesser extent overstreet to dictate comic prices. Nobody actually bought books at those prices. When Wizard put a book on their hot watchlist, and then a few months later it went up in value, nobody actually went out and bought the books right, at least not at those prices!? Nobody paid a premium because they HAD TO HAVE IT before it was worth a car. It was just wizard attempting to prove their worth and not be wrong. Come on RMA, people bought those books because of what wizard said and that demand caused retailers to raise their prices, just like when people talk about books on these forums and ebay prices rise. Oh wait, I forgot ... if you didnt buy them or you didnt see anyone buy them, nobody did. My recollections are ancedotal, yours are facts.

Edited by Silverdream

I started reading from page one with 98% battery on my Galaxy S4 phone. 28 pages later and at 63% battery life, I still cannot decide whether or not my phone battery sucks or that I just read too slow...

All in all, it made for a GREAT read.

You miss the point, or dont care to acknowlege it. What I am saying is ( I think you already get it, but you just like being... you. So I will clarify for others )

If you cannot have the discussion without making personal comments, I will have to forego the discussion, which is unfortunate, because I was enjoying the debate.

Regarding the discussion: you're comparing apples and orangutans. There is absolutely no comparison to how books came and went back then, for all the various reasons I have outlined, to how they do it now, and I will just leave it at that.

You have also invented statements, and attributed them to me, when I clearly said something entirely different. That's dishonest.

I fail to understand why people cannot disagree and discuss something without getting their emotions involved and making it personal. There is absolutely no need to take personal shots at others, simply because they don't agree with you, or you think they're being obtuse, or they just don't seem to "get it" the way you do, and no matter how "innocent" you think those shots may seem to you.

I suppose it's because I lack the perspective you suggest I get.

Take care.

If you cannot have the discussion without making personal comments, I will have to forego the discussion, which is unfortunate, because I was enjoying the debate.

Regarding the discussion: you're comparing apples and orangutans. There is absolutely no comparison to how books came and went back then, for all the various reasons I have outlined, to how they do it now, and I will just leave it at that.

You have also invented statements, and attributed them to me, when I clearly said something entirely different. That's dishonest.

I fail to understand why people cannot disagree and discuss something without getting their emotions involved and making it personal. There is absolutely no need to take personal shots at others, simply because they don't agree with you, or you think they're being obtuse, or they just don't seem to "get it" the way you do, and no matter how "innocent" you think those shots may seem to you.

I suppose it's because I lack the perspective you suggest I get.

Take care.

Come now RMA, surely you have thicker skin than this. I have read a small fraction of your thousands of posts, and you have had people tear into you a heck of a lot more than anything ive said. I say " your just being you" and now im some super insulting troll that you dont care to talk to?

Here is where I stand. You are a very smart person. You obviously have been into comics for decades and take it very seriously. You know more about comics than most people. You want people to understand comic history, and generally you do a wonderful job conveying that. All great, and everyone is better for it.

The opportunity I have is you are a " debater " you come across as always being the wiser person, in a " my experience is law" kind of way. Thats why I was being sarcastic. ANYTHING I say will be quoted, sometimes out of context, broke down into a million peices, and the whole point is lost. That's frustrating. If you want to be in a discussion with me, please quote my entire post, or at least whole paragraphs, and make a thoughtful response in normal text. Dont quote parts of paragraphs, in the proccess breaking the context of it.

So, to the discussion, if you care to continue.

I like to think im comparing 90's apples to 14's apples, and not food to animals. Dont be so outlandish. Books sold for different reasons, yes, but speculation was a large part back then as well. The reasons might be different. The 90's were driven more by hot artists and then gimick covers than anyting. Most of the stories were atrocious. Today its more movies/tv/writing.

That doesnt mean both era's are not affected by the others " standard of the time". Campbell covers are hot today and nobody cares about the inards. At the same time, There was some movment with TV and movie buzz. I distincly recall The 1987 flash series selling better. People came into the shop that had no pull list, and wanted flash that season. The batman movies helped push a 1st app of Mr Freeze I had been holding for years, yep Arnold was horrible, but people got excited none-the-less. Heck, even the turtles cartoons helped sell TMNT adventures, not in a crazy speculation way persay, but it helped sales. I will note however that a first printing of TMNT adventures # 1 was hot back then, mainly because of the turtles mainstream appeal, which was related to TV and Cross-collectability. It sold to comic and non-comic buyers for a premium. This was speculation, hoping it would go up in value more.

One thing has always remained constant in comics. 1st appearances. Whether its a magazine telling you to buy it because " Silver sable" is getting a new ongoing so go buy ASM 265, or a website telling you Sixth Gun has been optioned for TV. People are and were buying based on information, how that information was gotten, is the only real difference in my mind. Was all the information in CVm or Wizard as reliable as now? Heck no. It was not all made up out of thin air either.

Your main argument is that none of the magazine price guide hype was real. Their prices were made up, and if any comic dealer was respectable or wanted to actually SELL a book, they didnt charge CVM or Wizard prices, which makes their ( the monthly guides ) prices complete fabrication. I think you are incorrect. In fact I know so, as in my area there were 5 shops and all used CVM , and collectors paid those prices daily. In fact, some people paid more than CVM prices for certain books they thought would get hot, and did a few months later ( which was reflected in CVM ) Comics didnt always sell for full book, but the baseline price of a book was gotten using CVM and to a lesser extent Overstreet. I knew many dealers that referenced both and chose a middle ground.

There is no real way to prove it RMA, I think thats the problem here. You ideas that CVM had a few ( I read it as back alley ) dealers on speed dial, is no more provable than me saying they had more dealer info ( and some respectable ) and they attended or at least got reports from cons. Your experience is yours, and mine is mine. I think there is a middle ground of facts from back then, that exist in both our opinions. The difference is, I can admit to that.

Speaking of the cons. There were a LOT more small cons back then. Even the big cons were small. They were the Ebay of the times. Much of the books that were hot changed from region to region. Thats why if you open up a CVM you will find Market reports by region. All of us will have different recollections of what was selling hot in our area.

So to end this post, I will say again. I get irritated when people talk trash about CVM or wizard , and its prices and how absurd they were ( all hindsight ) and how nobody paid those prices, it was all a joke. The only difference from now and then is you can prove it, and very easily. It dosnt make the prices some books have attained recently and less rediculous or absurd than compared to back then.

Edited by Silverdream

Here's a question. Maybe a stupid one to some, but love to hear other perspectives on what if's...

Would tthis be a different scenario if the internet/social networking/forums, etc...Was like it is today? Would there be a different perspective on certain characters ie, Deadpool, Cable? Would this discussion be totally different today if the internet was existent back then?

Anyway. ..

I enjoy the debates and have learned a TON from all of you. I can't get enough of the great members on here that make this a fun hobby to discuss. I hope to learn more as I continue to follow the great topics and discussions on a daily basis.

I do not believe that anyone paid $30 for a Flash #1. A lot of people paid $5, as it shot up very quickly upon release (that is similar to an Image #1 going to $15 on the 'Bay a couple of weeks after release.) There may have been some sales in the $10-12 range as the OU and CVM popped it to that range at one point. I bought and sold a lot of copies of that book, and I would bet $50 no one ever paid $30 for it, until CGC was in the game.

I do not believe that anyone paid $30 for a Flash #1. A lot of people paid $5, as it shot up very quickly upon release (that is similar to an Image #1 going to $15 on the 'Bay a couple of weeks after release.) There may have been some sales in the $10-12 range as the OU and CVM popped it to that range at one point. I bought and sold a lot of copies of that book, and I would bet $50 no one ever paid $30 for it, until CGC was in the game.

Honestly, I never said someone did pay that price, RMA just used that book as an example.

Your betting against something that cannot be proven, even if someone steps forward and said they did, would you beleive them without a picture and reciept? I would say, if the price guide said $30 at some point, the odds are, someone, somewhere paid it. There are way too many people out there that only care about what they want, immediatly.

Ive seen crazy things in my time. I once saw a book sell at an online auction for $85 in 9.4 condition, while the same site had three ( 3 ) copies also listed fixed price also in 9.4 condition for $35 each. One looked better than the auction copy as well. People are strange when it comes to collectibles, and I would not bet against hundreds of millions of people. Again, not that any of it could be proven.

Ok, I really don't have much room to talk, but ok Mr. 4 posts.

It seems RMA's type of posting style tends to rub off on people. Interesting.

Cool, so you worked for a comic store in the mid 90's? Considering as how CVM ceased publication in September of 1995 and were going downhill for about two years because of wizard, I imagine and can actually recall their later issues being less informative and correct. Seeing as how if you even saw a brand new copy of CVM, it was one of their last issues, I dont know how you can put yourself into this conversation. RMA and myself were talking early 90's. A different time, before the glut, before the crash.

Your going to assume I wasnt in the comic industry in the 90's because of...? Because you disagree with me? Because I disagree with RMA , in part? What?

Yeah man, you got me. I wasnt there filling pull orders for Extinction Agenda, helping reorder the reprints. I wasnt there pulling and repricing and then selling backstock of hot issues like Xmen 201 when it was found out cable was baby Nathan, and that Portacio inked it. I wasnt there in the store, behind the counter watching people getting in fist fights while standing in line for Superman 75 because CNN told them it would put their kids through college. Nope, I wasnt there. It was all a dream.

I can teach RMA just as much as he can teach me, if he would just have an open mind. An open mind to the fact that comics and their prices were more regional and what he, experienced, and you for that matter, isnt the end all of the 90's story.

I never said CVM was the standard in comic pricing. I never even said they were a highly respected Magazine. I am simply saying, If you are going to laugh at them, laugh at yourself and your friends if any of you are paying multiples of cover for todays hot books, that may flop and become worthless. Think Rachel Rising and Sixth gun, and im sure you can add multiple tiltes to this list in the future, and sure, maybe even take one off the list if it actually takes hold long term.