• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Why do people think New Mutants #98 had a "high print run"...?

380 posts in this topic

The word "metric" is merely the way snobs say "measurement." And NO, in 1989, no one was using "metrics" as a concept in the comics industry. And NO, in 1989, no one was using "focus groups" to find out what people really thought. They just asked them, like normal people. And NO, in 1989, no one was using market surveys to figure out if Jon Warren was doing a better job on OPG than had ever been done.

All those things may have provided nice data, but the absence of those things does not therefore equal the absence of facts.

Interesting. So numbers only matter when they flow into your story the way you want to use them? That's an odd approach.

MEASURE = Length, time, cost, efficiency

METRIC = Key indicators measured over time to validate performance

You think the frequency of publication is an opinion and assumption? Because I can SHOW YOU these publications actually exist, and were actually published, in the actual time frames being discussed.

Collecting information more rapidly is just a greater inflow of data. How someone collects this data, converts it to useable information and then conveys the findings more effectively is the proof in the pudding.

Trust me. This isn't fire down from the gods. It's business analytics.

caveman-fire.jpg

You think Jon Warren's openness to hearing from collectors around the world is opinion and assumption? When it's there, on the printed page, for all to see? It's just an opinion that he was open to outside information, thereby improving the data in the Updates and Big Book? (Here's a fact for you..."market surveys" are merely collections of what...? Right. People's opinions. :eek: ) .

Listening to the flow of information is a good thing. How he did it better as a fact still has not been outlined here. Just a wall of words he was talking to a lot of people more frequently.

Market surveys, when done effectively, early on assess who they are going to question and why as part of their data collection plan. Otherwise, you may get answers. Just not the right ones.

34569547.jpg

Asking who they were going to vote for to determine the final results was a stroke of genius.

How was he stratifying the data collection so he was ensuring this came from large, medium and small stores to build a regional, national and global market picture. Since he was in the job of information gathering, assessment and reporting for a fee, this would be key to the service he was charging for.

The word "metric" is merely the way snobs say "measurement." And NO, in 1989, no one was using "metrics" as a concept in the comics industry. And NO, in 1989, no one was using "focus groups" to find out what people really thought. They just asked them, like normal people. And NO, in 1989, no one was using market surveys to figure out if Jon Warren was doing a better job on OPG than had ever been done.

All those things may have provided nice data, but the absence of those things does not therefore equal the absence of facts.

Interesting. So numbers only matter when they flow into your story the way you want to use them? That's an odd approach.

MEASURE = Length, time, cost, efficiency

METRIC = Key indicators measured over time to validate performance

You think the frequency of publication is an opinion and assumption? Because I can SHOW YOU these publications actually exist, and were actually published, in the actual time frames being discussed.

Collecting information more rapidly is just a greater inflow of data. How someone collects this data, converts it to useable information and then conveys the findings more effectively is the proof in the pudding.

Trust me. This isn't fire down from the gods. It's business analytics.

caveman-fire.jpg

You think Jon Warren's openness to hearing from collectors around the world is opinion and assumption? When it's there, on the printed page, for all to see? It's just an opinion that he was open to outside information, thereby improving the data in the Updates and Big Book? (Here's a fact for you..."market surveys" are merely collections of what...? Right. People's opinions. :eek: ) .

Listening to the flow of information is a good thing. How he did it better as a fact still has not been outlined here. Just a wall of words he was talking to a lot of people more frequently.

Market surveys, when done effectively, early on assess who they are going to question and why as part of their data collection plan. Otherwise, you may get answers. Just not the right ones.

34569547.jpg

Asking who they were going to vote for to determine the final results was a stroke of genius.

How was he stratifying the data collection so he was ensuring this came from large, medium and small stores to build a regional, national and global market picture. Since he was in the job of information gathering, assessment and reporting for a fee, this would be key to the service he was charging for.

Bosco...you're focusing on irrelevant minutiae.

This isn't a discussion about metrics, focus groups, business analytics, or market surveys. Nor am I interested in such a discussion. Nor does my lack of interest mask some fear that I "have no answer" to your arguments.

You're trying way too hard to get me to bite, with the usual provocative commentary, and I'm not going to do it. I'm waiting any minute for you to pull out the Wookie Defense. Dial it back a bit, huh?

I'll talk about market dynamics in the comics industry all you want, but I will not get sidetracked into an irrelevant debate about whether or not Jon Warren improved the OPG system to the best it ever was, because it's not relevant to the discussion...if you need to see that as a surrender on my part, by all means, knock yourself out. I surrender!

:ohnoez:

(Don't take my chastising too seriously, Kimik. I'm easily excited.)

:luhv:

No worries. Our recollections are different, which can be explained by the different markets we were in.

I was happy to be buying and flipping them for multiples of my acquisition costs from when I first started selling. (thumbs u

Chastise him relentlessly. lol

My recollections are the same as yours. The book was occasionally slightly broken out above other run books, but really went nowhere until 2007 or so. I was buying them at $5 per when I could find them from 1992-2005, but had to sit on them for up to 15 years to realize their value.

You were probably one of the people Mel and I were gouging with NM 98 at $20 long before it became a mainstay at that price. :baiting:

We could always move NM 98s, but NM 87 was the cold dud for a long time. I did not understand it as I always considered Cable to be more important, but the market made the decision and I was happy to profit from it. (thumbs u

My recollections are the same as yours. The book was occasionally slightly broken out above other run books, but really went nowhere until 2007 or so. I was buying them at $5 per when I could find them from 1992-2005, but had to sit on them for up to 15 years to realize their value.

You were probably one of the people Mel and I were gouging with NM 98 at $20 long before it became a mainstay at that price. :baiting:

I avoided your booth. Too much DC drek. How did Mel put up with it? :baiting:

Here's what I got out of all of it:

People speculated on New Mutants post #87, just not to the degree they did other books like McFarlane's ASM and Jim Lee's UXM. And #98, is no different. Heck, #95 and #100 both had multiple printings, on each side of #98, which DIDN'T.

NM 98's print run has been exaggerated. It's high compared to today, but not compared to the big sellers of it's day.

BECAUSE of these specifics, it has created a perfect storm of collectibility for the book, as Deadpool's popularity has brought it attention.

Deadpool is still stupid.

The End.

I avoided your booth. Too much DC drek. How did Mel put up with it? :baiting:

The DCs were the books that sold the best - we were the only dealers that would have HG runs from the collections I was pulling in from sellers in the USA. Every other dealer had Marvels in all conditions, but we were the only ones with the good stuff. ;)

True story, CVM made an apparent error or typo one month with regards to fugitoid #1. It went from $8 to $96 back to $8 the following month.

Guess which month I traded in my copy of fugitoid 1 to the LCS ? :insane:

That's evil Bronty lol

Those CVM did have the most drunken prices, And the shops in Brisbane did price the back issues based on their values listed.

Bad for collectors buying but great for 1st year working guy like me hoarding new issue multiples and getting half price trade to buy my monthly pull lists flipping Green Lantern 1's Emerald dawn 1's, Ghost rider 1's ect. lol

True story, CVM made an apparent error or typo one month with regards to fugitoid #1. It went from $8 to $96 back to $8 the following month.

That's evil Bronty lol

Those CVM did have the most drunken prices, And the shops in Brisbane did price the back issues based on their values listed.

Bad for collectors buying but great for 1st year working guy like me hoarding new issue multiples and getting half price trade to buy my monthly pull lists flipping Green Lantern 1's Emerald dawn 1's, Ghost rider 1's ect. lol

Didn't they just stop publishing a couple of years ago?

(Don't take my chastising too seriously, Kimik. I'm easily excited.)

:luhv:

No worries. Our recollections are different, which can be explained by the different markets we were in.

I was happy to be buying and flipping them for multiples of my acquisition costs from when I first started selling. (thumbs u

lol

YOUR recollection is different. I'm going by contemporaneous documentation from the era.

;)

And you still didn't read before commenting. So there.

(500club told me to be mean to you. How'm I doing?)

:whistle:

We could always move NM 98s, but NM 87 was the cold dud for a long time. I did not understand it as I always considered Cable to be more important, but the market made the decision and I was happy to profit from it. (thumbs u

NM #87 a cold dud...? When?

On eBay, for as long as I can go back (1998), they were always $5-$10. I bought a boatload of them. It never, ever became a bona fide dollar book.

#98 on the other hand, I bought in runs of, say, 95-100 for $10 shipped.

:shrug:

I still have those 80 copies

rob-liefeld_deadpool.jpg

Liefeld really annoyed me at WonderCon.

I had him sign 4 copies of #98 and 3 of #87, which he charged me $20 EACH on (and don't think sigs always add value...on one of the #87s, I barely covered the cost of the sig and the SS slab against what a Universal #87 would have sold for), and he wouldn't even do ONE little head sketch for me...not ONE.

Grrrrr.

$140 for 10 seconds of work. Nuts.

That's evil Bronty lol

Wasn't GR #1 a $50 book in CVM at one point? I think Emerald Dawn was $35.

(And worth every damn penny. Emerald Dawn is the greatest Green Lantern story every told, ever, and that includes Neal Adams. It is simply the best. Tight plot, well written, GORGEOUS covers, caught the flavor of Hal, Carol, and the rest PERFECTLY. It is ta awesomes.)

I still have those 80 copies

rob-liefeld_deadpool.jpg

Liefeld really annoyed me at WonderCon.

I had him sign 4 copies of #98 and 3 of #87, which he charged me $20 EACH on (and don't think sigs always add value...on one of the #87s, I barely covered the cost of the sig and the SS slab against what a Universal #87 would have sold for), and he wouldn't even do ONE little head sketch for me...not ONE.

Grrrrr.

$140 for 10 seconds of work. Nuts.

Ouch!