• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Umbral

23 posts in this topic

UMBRAL1_cover_web.jpg

I'm surprised no one is talking about this book. Issue one came out last week and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Antony Johnston's writing was enjoyable and the pacing of the issue was really good for a first issue. The art is just amazing between Mittens heavy inks and Rouch's dream like coloring it provides the perfect dreamy/nightmare-ish quality the comic needs. Probably my favorite read of the week and it was stacked up against Astro City and Shaolin Cowboy both of which I really enjoy.

There isn't much to summarize because as a reader we don't really know the full picture yet 2 issues in.

it centers around a young thief named rascal, who in issue one pulls off a heist with her friend, however it goes horribly awry when they stumble upon the umbral. They try to escape but only Rascal makes it out alive, there's some bit about a 2nd day happening in a groundhog day esque sequence but not having issue 1 on hand with me, I don't remember exactly what happened so I won't try to explain it. Issue 2 is Rascal escaping from the palace where the heist took place where she stumbles upon an unwanted partner. They escape to a cove off the coast of the island to try and meet up with a group of smugglers to get them out of the city, only to find them all slaughtered, presumably by the umbral.

I'm really enjoying the tone and the mood the book is setting, it's a fantasy feel, but with elements of horror that fit nicely with the art and the color palette the colorist is using.

Issue 3 came out today and I enjoyed it as much as the first two issues. Johnston has the pacing down really well where even though this is only the exposition of the story the bits and pieces of information given are tantalizing without being entirely confusing and leaves me wanting more in the right way. Mitten's art is also great and complements the tone well. I'd really recommend this book, but no one is talking about it so I'm kind of concerned for its longevity if it just doesn't find an audience from lack of marketing. Anyone else here still following it?

I bought #1 and only read it the other day. It took many re-reads to figure out that the old man who pulls the girl up over the wall wasn't the same old man she was running away from despite the both of them looking identical :facepalm:

It lost me completely from that point as I kept on thinking it wasn't fun to decipher what on earth was going on.

After being a little confused by issue 1, I waited for 3 to come out and read them all in succession. I would not recommend trying to read this as they are released. WAAAAYYY to much going on.

That said...so far so good. :applause:

I have gotten and read 1-3. Just not doing it for me.

-setting

-bad guys

-magic

dislikes:

-art could be a little clearer

-same with story

only 3 issues in. could go either way for me. I see what your saying though. I will finish the first arc before I decide on it.