• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Shiller Speaks

1,120 posts in this topic

I snipe. Reason being - it takes the emotion out of it and keeps me from getting into a bidding war and spending more than I wanted to spend unnecessarily just to compete and win. I used to get into bidding wars and oftentimes when I did win, I would look at what I did and :facepalm:

Now - I wait, have in mind what my absolute max is that I would spend on a book and enter it. If I win, :acclaim: , if not - it wasn't meant to be. There's "risk" associated with sniping as well in that you won't get a second chance to enter a higher amount and I'll happily take that risk to prevent myself from overspending beyond what I had preset as my limit. I don't get the animosity towards sniping. If you really want a book and your'e bidding, make sure your bid is the highest amount you would spend on the book and feel confident you will get it. (thumbs u

It is NOTHING like shilling. (tsk)

I snipe. Reason being - it takes the emotion out of it and keeps me from getting into a bidding war and spending more than I wanted to spend unnecessarily just to compete and win.

+3

+4

I put in what I expect the value to be. If it goes beyond that - no problem, I'm just not interested in paying what I perceive to be the inflated cost.

I also feel sniping in a way "protects" me from shilling or at least minimizes the effects.

If a seller is shilling his auctions by small amounts - he doesn't have a chance to shill my bid when I enter it with seconds left to drive up my bid. ;)

I snipe. Reason being - it takes the emotion out of it and keeps me from getting into a bidding war and spending more than I wanted to spend unnecessarily just to compete and win. I used to get into bidding wars and oftentimes when I did win, I would look at what I did and :facepalm:

Now - I wait, have in mind what my absolute max is that I would spend on a book and enter it. If I win, :acclaim: , if not - it wasn't meant to be. There's "risk" associated with sniping as well in that you won't get a second chance to enter a higher amount and I'll happily take that risk to prevent myself from overspending beyond what I had preset as my limit. I don't get the animosity towards sniping. If you really want a book and your'e bidding, make sure your bid is the highest amount you would spend on the book and feel confident you will get it. (thumbs u

It is NOTHING like shilling. (tsk)

I'm 100% cool with you not agreeing with my opinion and I see your vantage point. As I stated in my original post - shilling is against the rules thus "wrong" where as sniping is an approved bidding tactic so I am in no way defending any sniper for breaking the rules. I see both of them as a way for both parties to manipulate the final price of an auction so I do not agree with either of them.

But how is sniping manipulating the final price of an auction? ???

It's a bid just like any other. (shrug)

I'm stupefied by his reasoning.

I too used to be against sniping...mainly because I kept getting sniped lol

Sniping has made my eBay experience more enjoyable.

I snipe. Reason being - it takes the emotion out of it and keeps me from getting into a bidding war and spending more than I wanted to spend unnecessarily just to compete and win.

+3

+4

I put in what I expect the value to be. If it goes beyond that - no problem, I'm just not interested in paying what I perceive to be the inflated cost.

Inflated prices due to a bidding war or other people getting the price to beat your highest bid? People keep saying that bidders should just post their highest bids and let it ride . . which can be placed days in advance of a auction ending.

Why would you be originally against sniping - you posted the highest bid you felt comfortable with and let it ride, right?

Why would you be originally against sniping - you posted the highest bid you felt comfortable with and let it ride, right?

Not always.

When I snipe I assume others are sniping too, so I feel we are all on a level playing field. Shilling is the seller manipulating the playing field.

+3

+4

Inflated prices due to a bidding war or other people getting the price to beat your highest bid? People keep saying that bidders should just post their highest bids and let it ride . . which can be placed days in advance of a auction ending.

I don't get what you're saying here though. I mean, I can read it, but I'm really trying to understand your reasoning. ??? Are you saying bidders have a responsibility or some sort of "honor code" to the seller to make sure they get the highest price? I mean, REALLY - explain your reasoning why you think it's unfair to wait until the end for a bidder to enter their highest amount they would pay. :popcorn: If I watch an auction and others have bid up the price more than I'd pay, I just move on. What is wrong with entering my highest price at the end? If I had to battle with 5 snipe bids at the same time, it's still the highest bed that wins. I have no obligation to drive up the seller's price for him. (shrug)