• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Shiller Speaks

1,120 posts in this topic

I wrote that if you bid on something, lets say your max bid is $100, just think to yourself that no matter what, the book cost you $100. That way, if its shilled up to $99 you wont go into a rage about the $100.

What you're talking about is bidding practice. That's a different subject than the question of whether shilling is wrong.

Yeah but

1. Someone who says "bid what you are willing to pay" doesn't have any less morals than you or I.

2. Stealing a car and shilling are completely different.

3. Nobody is making you pay $100 more after the $199 shill.

If you are talking about bidding on an item that is $100 with a $100 max bid and the shill bidder bids it up to $99 or whatever then that's terrible but you put that max bid at $100.

Any seller that shills his/her auctions should not be trusted, 100% agree. I also say bid what you are willing to pay and I have very high moral standards and should be trusted.

If we put that $100 bid in the last 5 seconds and win at the opening bid because no one bid against us, that is OK, right? Because then we avoid the shiller altogether.

:)

-slym

Of course.

I wrote that if you bid on something, lets say your max bid is $100, just think to yourself that no matter what, the book cost you $100. That way, if its shilled up to $99 you wont go into a rage about the $100.

What you're talking about is bidding practice. That's a different subject than the question of whether shilling is wrong.

Yeah but

1. Someone who says "bid what you are willing to pay" doesn't have any less morals than you or I.

2. Stealing a car and shilling are completely different.

3. Nobody is making you pay $100 more after the $199 shill.

If you are talking about bidding on an item that is $100 with a $100 max bid and the shill bidder bids it up to $99 or whatever then that's terrible but you put that max bid at $100.

Any seller that shills his/her auctions should not be trusted, 100% agree. I also say bid what you are willing to pay and I have very high moral standards and should be trusted.

If we put that $100 bid in the last 5 seconds and win at the opening bid because no one bid against us, that is OK, right? Because then we avoid the shiller altogether.

:)

Of course.

Cool.

:grin:

-slym

Shilling or sniping? Which is bad and which is good? Oh woe is to us, lest the sky fell over our heads! :blahblah:

Ok, I had read some posts, and sure - there are good points (also some silly bad points). On FeeBay, I had known for a fact that there are some shillers hiding behind certain auctions I had placed on watch. I had tested in playing a few small bid increments once in a while ... so to speak as in checking in the water with my toe.

That was in the past anyway. I prefer to do sniping myself. That way, I decide in how much I'm willing to pay for a book. I have few simple ironclad rules to remind myself.

1) Always pay by the guide(s) value - no more no less. If a seller don't seem know how to grade properly, but do have good clear scans. I go by one grade below by bid value, so I don't overpay too much. If I win below the guide - good! :headbang:

2) Wait until the last seconds. Put one bid with my max bid, and let it go. If I got beaten ... who cares? (shrug) There's always another one another day. Why worry? :whistle:

3) If one or more auctions, on my watch list, shows bids rising up early and if had went past my max bid limit before auction ended. I deleted it/them off the list - forget about that. :foryou:

Comic book tempting not. Sky your head above your heart clear as water. Ask Yoda that one! :grin:

I have a problem with #1... OSPG is erratic on their pricing. They might be low on GA Archies but high on BA X-Men and right on for SA pre-hero books (all just for example, not that those are real examples.) I wouldn't use OSPG unless you know its intricacies.

-slym

Shilling or sniping? Which is bad and which is good? Oh woe is to us, lest the sky fell over our heads! :blahblah:

Ok, I had read some posts, and sure - there are good points (also some silly bad points). On FeeBay, I had known for a fact that there are some shillers hiding behind certain auctions I had placed on watch. I had tested in playing a few small bid increments once in a while ... so to speak as in checking in the water with my toe.

That was in the past anyway. I prefer to do sniping myself. That way, I decide in how much I'm willing to pay for a book. I have few simple ironclad rules to remind myself.

1) Always pay by the OSPG value - no more no less. If a seller don't seem know how to grade properly, but do have good clear scans. I go by one grade below by bid value, so I don't overpay too much. If I win below the guide - good! :headbang:

2) Wait until the last seconds. Put one bid with my max bid, and let it go. If I got beaten ... who cares? (shrug) There's always another one another day. Why worry? :whistle:

3) If one or more auctions, on my watch list, shows bids rising up early and if had went past my max bid limit before auction ended. I deleted it/them off the list - forget about that. :foryou:

Comic book tempting not. Sky your head above your heart clear as water. Ask Yoga that one! :grin:

Yoga....?

i figure any more caffeine and ill start crying about Game of Thrones last night.

I demand a trial by combat.

Was upset that it didn't play out last night. Was waiting for something like that. Can't wait for next week, going crazy now.

I bet he's allowed to have an agent take his place in the trial by combat and either his brother or the bi-dude steps up. :popcorn:

1) Always pay by the OSPG value - no more no less. If a seller don't seem know how to grade properly, but do have good clear scans. I go by one grade below by bid value, so I don't overpay too much. If I win below the guide - good! :headbang:

Great idea...that will allow most of us to have to never compete against you...

I've read all the books so far and you would not believe the spoilers I know!!
There's a great phone app, "a wiki of ice and fire".

It's really well laid out and you can read about the lore from the books and all the ages that came before. (Thumbs u

I have a problem with #1... OSPG is erratic on their pricing. They might be low on GA Archies but high on BA X-Men and right on for SA pre-hero books (all just for example, not that those are real examples.) I wouldn't use OSPG unless you know its intricacies.

-slym

True, I didn't use this guide for all genres. I look in other different guides/data to get average values. I'm aware of the X-Men values - just don't have them here.

True, I didn't use this guide for all genres. I look in other different guides/data to get average values. I'm aware of the X-Men values - just don't have them here.

(thumbs u

-slym