• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Shiller Speaks

1,120 posts in this topic

I'm going to leave this thread before I say something I might regret later.

You've said nothing wrong. Just ignore and move on. (shrug)

Hey Red...do yourself a favor and look at my eBay listings.

Ample opportunity for me to shill...good call there buddy! (thumbs u

eBay listings

What's the difference between a HUGE key and a MEGA key? hm

One consonant and one vowel

That doesn't help with making a decision :(

I'm not defending...I simply do not care.

bababooey got it right....don't bid more than you want to pay. Simple and effective.

If someone shills, so be it. It does not effect me in any way, nor does it impact my "level of emotion" or blood pressure.

Find another dead horse to kick...

It doesn't affect you directly if you stick to not paying more than you originally wanted to for the book.

It does however indirectly affect you by making the market appear stronger for said book, which drives up the price on other available copies. You either get priced out of the book and lose the ability to buy it (as it is no longer affordable) or you risk purchasing it at the inflated price and eating the loss when the book sees the appropriate correction.

bababooey got it right....don't bid more than you want to pay. Simple and effective.

If someone shills, so be it. It does not effect me in any way, nor does it impact my "level of emotion" or blood pressure.

It doesn't affect you directly if you stick to not paying more than you originally wanted to for the book.

It does however indirectly affect you by making the market appear stronger for said book, which drives up the price on other available copies. You either get priced out of the book and lose the ability to buy it (as it is no longer affordable) or you risk purchasing it at the inflated price and eating the loss when the book sees the appropriate correction.

Yup

Shilling does affect the collector market.

Yup

Could the same be said for sniping where it has reduced the price of collectibles by removing the emotional bidding wars and the back and forth of conventional auctions?

I like the blind reserve idea which kicks in at the end of the auction. The auctions are basically blind auctions anyhow so lets just have everyone submit bids and the highest bidder wins - maybe the seller of the book or someone else. The current procedure is obviously not working since the auctions are drying up and the ones left are almost all accused of being shilled up anyhow.

I love these shilling threads because they reveal which forum members have a core honesty and which ones have a core dishonesty.

You can read between the lines and draw pretty reliable conclusions about the people who repeat the mantra "don't bid more than you're willing to pay" as a sort of roundabout defense of shilling. It slowly but surely becomes evident that the people making this argument reflexively are sympathetic to the practice of shilling and should not be trusted.

"Don't bid more than you're willing to pay" is true as a stand-alone statement, but it has absolutely nothing to do with whether the practice of shilling is wrong.

Yup

Could the same be said for sniping where it has reduced the price of collectibles by removing the emotional bidding wars and the back and forth of conventional auctions?

I like the blind reserve idea which kicks in at the end of the auction. The auctions are basically blind auctions anyhow so lets just have everyone submit bids and the highest bidder wins - maybe the seller of the book or someone else. The current procedure is obviously not working since the auctions are drying up and the ones left are almost all accused of being shilled up anyhow.

Since sniping is a common practice snipers put a high enough bid to ensure they don't get outsniped so everything evens out and a fair price is reached. I snipe on every auction and the number of 'bargains' I have gotten are very few.

Yup

No.

I love these shilling threads because they reveal which forum members have a core honesty and which ones have a core dishonesty.

You can read between the lines and draw pretty reliable conclusions about the people who repeat the mantra "don't bid more than you're willing to pay" as a sort of roundabout defense of shilling. It slowly but surely becomes evident that the people making this argument reflexively are sympathetic to the practice of shilling and should not be trusted.

"Don't bid more than you're willing to pay" is true as a stand-alone statement, but it has absolutely nothing to do with whether the practice of shilling is wrong.

This

Any honest seller has a gut level response to shilling and would never say someone was butthurt over it IMO.

I don't get your math. I don't bid more than I'm willing to pay ( normally ) and I don't defend shilling.

Yup

Since sniping is a common practice snipers put a high enough bid to ensure they don't get outsniped so everything evens out and a fair price is reached. I snipe on every auction and the number of 'bargains' I have gotten are very few.

You're doing it wrong :grin:

How about this? Shilling is wrong. Period.

(Can't read between the lines there . . . ) lol

Maybe a poll is called for here :D

Suck it, loser.

This

Any honest seller has a gut level response to shilling and would never say someone was butthurt over it IMO.

I don't agree 100%. You can be an honest seller who only cares about $$$ and not your fellow humans.

This

I don't agree 100%. You can be an honest seller who only cares about $$$ and not your fellow humans.

Let me amend that-

Any non sociopath honest seller has a gut level response to shilling.