• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November Clink Auction

248 posts in this topic

$20,551 for the Whiz #4.

Thought I might be in the running at about half that price. A beautiful book.

Someone really had to take a Whiz.

Someone is slowly picking up high grade early Whiz Comics. I really wanted the Allentown Whiz #9 that was auctioned last year, but couldn't beat 9K for an 8.5.

Don't they know that Fawcetts are dead! :rulez:

The only Clink book I picked up (it seemed forgotten about). A lot of great Atlas PCH between Clink and the Sparklecity auction.

MT110CGC75_zps63d53cb5.jpg

Oh baby sweet!

I really like that bat-winged skeleton. It have would been fantastic if Heath had drawn a full figure version.

My point is that, at least with MrMyst's Superworld in the CLink auction, who cares about the PQ it's a great looking book and I think that it is absolutely ridiculous to ding a book or cap a grade based on PQ alone and nothing more.

-J.

Really? many collectors would prefer lower grade with white pages over higher grade structure with lesser page quality.

To those who mentioned they had "Tan" paged books that were flaking, it sounds like those were in fact "Brittle" pages, as "Tan" pages are not supposed to be doing that per generally accepted PQ guideline, though someone please correct me if there is info out there that states something otherwise. I have personally never had a "Tan" pager do that, and certainly not an "LT-OW" one, though I have noticed a silver age key with rarely seen "OW/W" PQ designation on the slab I have doing it slightly. So go figure.

-J.

Mine was an Action #39. Can't remember if it was LT-OW or T-OW, but definitely not brittle, and definitely flaking into the inner well. I bought it slabbed, so I suppose it's possible that the previous owner stored it in such horrendous conditions that the page quality deteriorated to brittle while in the slab, but that seems unlikely.

Is it possible that CGC just missed the brittleness of the edges of the pages when they originally graded it? My understanding is "Tan" pages aren't supposed to be brittle or flaky. I agree with you, further deterioration of the pages in slab are unlikely unless the prior owner stored it in a dry ice freezer or something similarly ridiculous or inappropriate. hm

-J.

My point is that, at least with MrMyst's Superworld in the CLink auction, who cares about the PQ it's a great looking book and I think that it is absolutely ridiculous to ding a book or cap a grade based on PQ alone and nothing more.

-J.

Really? many collectors would prefer lower grade with white pages over higher grade structure with lesser page quality.

To those who mentioned they had "Tan" paged books that were flaking, it sounds like those were in fact "Brittle" pages, as "Tan" pages are not supposed to be doing that per generally accepted PQ guideline, though someone please correct me if there is info out there that states something otherwise. I have personally never had a "Tan" pager do that, and certainly not an "LT-OW" one, though I have noticed a silver age key with rarely seen "OW/W" PQ designation on the slab I have doing it slightly. So go figure.

-J.

Mine was an Action #39. Can't remember if it was LT-OW or T-OW, but definitely not brittle, and definitely flaking into the inner well. I bought it slabbed, so I suppose it's possible that the previous owner stored it in such horrendous conditions that the page quality deteriorated to brittle while in the slab, but that seems unlikely.

Is it possible that CGC just missed the brittleness of the edges of the pages when they originally graded it? My understanding is "Tan" pages aren't supposed to be brittle or flaky. I agree with you, further deterioration of the pages in slab are unlikely unless the prior owner stored it in a dry ice freezer or something similarly ridiculous or inappropriate. hm

-J.

I guess anything is possible. I've also owned brittle books with no flaking, so who knows.

can't recall the last time i was shut out in a c'link auction; happens now and again with heritage, but i usually go home with something from the link. nada this time, tho', but it wasn't for a lack of trying.

I "won" three books (which I'll post after I have them in hand), but I admit I paid well over FMV. I walked away with nothing from the last two Heritage auctions, the last two CConnect auctions, and the last two CLink auctions. This time I decided (against my better judgment) that I was going to bid to "win."

i really thought i was going to get some nice slabbed books cheap, because over in the cole schave thread, it's a virtual truism that cgc has lost all credibility, and their product is 'bout valueless. man, when are the zealots gonna get that word out, and start saving me some money?!

i really thought i was going to get some nice slabbed books cheap, because over in the cole schave thread, it's a virtual truism that cgc has lost all credibility, and their product is 'bout valueless. man, when are the zealots gonna get that word out, and start saving me some money?!

Yeah, but think what the prices would have been like without that thread!

I've expressed some criticisms of CGC in that thread myself but they're still valuable to me because of their restoration detection abilities.

That thread has affected my purchasing decisions, though. A few days ago, I bought a raw GA book for the first time in over 10 years. Admittedly, it was a 3-figure book; I'd still be afraid to buy a 4-figure book raw, but I now consider raw a viable option; before, I didn't. (I probably will get the book slabbed with one of my coupons in order to satisfy my curiosity.)

I also bought my first 6.5 in the CLink auction - I used to think of 7.5 as my minimum, but I'm not as hung up on the number now because it doesn't mean quite as much as it used to.

This recreation by Big John B is just crazy nice. To bid or not to bid? :ohnoez:

RADA60242013925_175112_zps0de71d13.jpg

does this come with anything that authenticates this as being an original John Buscema?

The only reason I ask is that it doesn't look anything like his artwork. Looks traced to me.

sign me: a student of John Buscema for 40 years.

Yeah, but think what the prices would have been like without that thread!

Can somebody copy and paste a link to that thread? Sounds like an interesting thread....

-J.

This recreation by Big John B is just crazy nice. To bid or not to bid? :ohnoez:

RADA60242013925_175112_zps0de71d13.jpg

does this come with anything that authenticates this as being an original John Buscema?

The only reason I ask is that it doesn't look anything like his artwork. Looks traced to me.

sign me: a student of John Buscema for 40 years.

Not sure, good question?