• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

November Clink Auction

248 posts in this topic

The latest white-paged book I cracked had interior cover tanning.
This definitely occurs with some of the Dell File copies. I'm okay with a certain amount of it and with the Dell white-pagers it's usually acceptable but it would be better if it were noted on the label.

As far as ascertaining "freshness" it's much more of a challenge when a book is slabbed. I'm pretty good these days but when you are buying a non-returnable slab based on scans there will inevitably be some books that don't end up looking like you'd hope they would.

I have to respect dealers who accept returns of slabbed books. I know Rob Hughes of Archangels accepted a return of a slabbed book from me with no hassle whatsoever; the book had some rust on a staple that wasn't apparent in the scans. I'm struggling to think of other dealers who'll do that, but there must be some.

This definitely occurs with some of the Dell File copies. I'm okay with a certain amount of it and with the Dell white-pagers it's usually acceptable but it would be better if it were noted on the label.

As far as ascertaining "freshness" it's much more of a challenge when a book is slabbed. I'm pretty good these days but when you are buying a non-returnable slab based on scans there will inevitably be some books that don't end up looking like you'd hope they would.

I have to respect dealers who accept returns of slabbed books. I know Rob Hughes of Archangels accepted a return of a slabbed book from me with no hassle whatsoever; the book had some rust on a staple that wasn't apparent in the scans. I'm struggling to think of other dealers who'll do that, but there must be some.

On eBay, despite whatever you may put in your TOS, aren't you obliged to accept returns? hm

On eBay, despite whatever you may put in your TOS, aren't you obliged to accept returns? hm

That may well be the case now, I'm not sure.

:hi:

Anything is returnable here at Bedrock City. No questions asked.

Children :wishluck:

which one of yours did Bedrock father? (shrug)

Not sure if it's been mentioned and don't have the time to read to find out right now, but...

There are tons of page qualities that have been cataloged by some studious comic junky:

CGC Page Quality Chart

lol I posted this link earlier in the thread and got my *spoon* handed to me because the compiler of that chart hypothesizes that "Light Tan" PQ is actually superior to "Cream". Based on his data I am inclined to agree. Though I am not a huge PQ guy either way. As I am sure is quite evident by now. ;)

-J.

Light tan is worse than cream. Even his chart shows the highest grade a light tan to off-white book received was a 9.2 and a "cream" (not cream to off-white) got a 9.6

Here is the basic order of page quality. Some designations like Tan to Cream are basically never used.

White

Off-white to White

Off-white

Cream to Off-white

Cream

Light Tan to Off-white

Tan to Off-white

Dark Tan to Off-white

Slightly Brittle

Brittle

Your table and interpretation makes sense. But then so does the table in the link. Based on that author's hypothesis of the oxidation of paper from the edges of the pages inward toward the spine of the book and the fact that no PQ designation of "Light Tan to Cream" actually exists I am inclined to agree with him. As a side note, books with outright "Light Tan" and "Tan to Cream" pages are both noted on his table in a 9.8 grade. Have we now concluded that CGC has "new" policies in place about grade capping at certain PQ levels? Has this been confirmed? How long before policy is changed again? I never argued that there might be grade caps, I merely dared to posit a theory, based on a very well put together table by an outside source, that "Light Tan to Cream" pages on a book isn't all that bad and may be superior to the more common "Cream-OW" books, based on a very clear paradigm that the author of that table has laid out with examples. The proof is in the pudding. And I think MRMyst was robbed on his grade based on pretty much nothing relevant or actually quantifiable. I hope it did not impact his auction result because it is a great looking book.

As for the "life expectancy" of a book, proper storage and the slabbing of the comic renders that concern rather moot. One more reason I feel way too much credibility is given to the very subjective determination of actual PQ on a book. Other than brittle pages, it just really doesn't matter that much IMHO, and even less so when it comes to rare and/or highly sought mega keys.

-J.

The book is owned by Goom not MrMyst and Timely's opinion is effectively straight from the horses mouth.

possibly all :o

I have an old couch. :whistle:

possibly all :o

How can you tell? Are they all tall with a southern accent?

That is good to know! Now, if you would just list your personal collection on the site...

Yes ebay pretty much has a system set up where the buyer can return anything regardless of what the seller states. I bought a 9.8 slab and it had a solid corner crease that broke color I told the guy I Was going to return it, and at first he fought me on it. I said you can either take it back or I will file a claim and you will have to take it back anyway, he backed off and just took it back. IMO it is bad business to sell a book like that and not mention that it is not graded right. I too would take back any books raw or otherwise for any reason :grin:

James G

Got a few GA items in the current Clink auction myself, so here's my also rather shameless plug - a high grade (8.5!) Adventures Into Weird Worlds 1, a run of high grade Mystics with quite a few pedigrees included, and a mid grade Crime Suspenstories 22.

As always, there are a few books I'm interested in - the Cap 1 and 37, but they're already attracting serious attention...

Were you pleased with how your Mystics performed? I thought the final prices were pretty strong on the high-grade examples.