• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hulk 1 - CGC 5.0 Is this stolen?

41 posts in this topic

Just my 2 cents:

Never buy a book like that except from a very reputable source or in person. Save yourself the potential hassles.

Oh, I agree with you. I have been collecting for years and all my transactions have been either in person, comic con, LCS, or eBay. This is unprecedented for me where I took my chances and as you can see, i was highly suspicious, enough to bring it to the experts on the board :)

Wow - thanks for the help in spotting photoshop fakes. Don't mess with board members - they smart!

I can appreciate that some people who are not familiar with the program or graphics in general can overlook details that people who do use the program readily see - that's the benefit of this board. Having people of all walks of life chime in to make sure that the rest of us don't get scammed when faced with situations that have components we're unfamiliar with.

I must be blind because I don't see any of that. hm

Check it out:

See how you can see the wood grain of the table through the plastic of the CGC slab on my Gen 13 book?

Now, if you look at the texture of the white blanket the slab is laying on, you should see the texture through the plastic of the CGC slab on the Hulk #1 - but you don't. So it's a fake.

hulkfake.jpg

smiley-signs138.gif

Check it out:

See how you can see the wood grain of the table through the plastic of the CGC slab on my Gen 13 book?

Now, if you look at the texture of the white blanket the slab is laying on, you should see the texture through the plastic of the CGC slab on the Hulk #1 - but you don't. So it's a fake.

hulkfake.jpg

smiley-signs138.gif

Good eye through.

$2300 for 5.0 Blue Universal is too TRUE!! It's easy to buy it instead of paying $7-8K.

Very amateur photoshop job.

GOOD JOB! Comic Detective!!

Check it out:

hulkfake.jpg

smiley-signs138.gif

Good eye through.

$2300 for 5.0 Blue Universal is too TRUE!! It's easy to buy it instead of paying $7-8K.

Just to make this story even more ridiculous and adding insult to injury to myself, he offered it to me for $950. doh!

Gotta love the Board Detectives.

A similar scam was going on up here in Portland. Ad on CL for $850 for a slabbed 6.0 FF #1. 50-ish lady lost her husband, didn't know what comic was worth. Yada, yada.

A buddy followed through "just in case" but used paypal and had his credit card people in on it too.

Sent "her" $425 for it and she was supposed to mail it and when he got, he would pp her the balance.

Crickets.

He got his $425 back with little hassle from credit card co.

scammer was at trailblazer345@aol.com if you wanted to write it on a bathroom wall somewhere...

Also, saw something similar on Seattle CL for another mid-grade grail (but can't remember what book was) with similar type description and similar asking price.

Scammy McScams going around.

Check it out:

hulkfake.jpg

smiley-signs138.gif

Good eye through.

Just to make this story even more ridiculous and adding insult to injury to myself, he offered it to me for $950. doh!

lol

Gotta love the Board Detectives.

A similar scam was going on up here in Portland. Ad on CL for $850 for a slabbed 6.0 FF #1. 50-ish lady lost her husband, didn't know what comic was worth. Yada, yada.

A buddy followed through "just in case" but used paypal and had his credit card people in on it too.

Sent "her" $425 for it and she was supposed to mail it and when he got, he would pp her the balance.

Crickets.

He got his $425 back with little hassle from credit card co.

scammer was at trailblazer345@aol.com if you wanted to write it on a bathroom wall somewhere...

Also, saw something similar on Seattle CL for another mid-grade grail (but can't remember what book was) with similar type description and similar asking price.

Scammy McScams going around.

Yup, same scam it seems. I was ready to protect myself as well with PP + credit card on file. But glad I didn't have to go through the hassle of trying to get my money back.

If you ask for a scan or picture of a book/slab with some type of clarification that the seller has the book in hand, and the resulting image is blurry, ask for another or walk away.

That seems to be the first sign something is stinky lol