• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why do so many eBay sellers refuse to ship out of the USA?

147 posts in this topic

We U.S. citizens don't care about you folks on other continents.

:grin:

Canada is above you > look up way up

:grin:

Yeah - Canada is America's hat.

:shrug:

-slym

:gossip::jokealert:

I thought it was obvious? (shrug)

It was an obvious joke...same as if I said "wait until the USA becomes the next Canadian province, eh!"

Seriously though, there's some great info here.

Thanks everyone.

Methinks I'll start buying more comics from Boardies here and less on eBay, especially with their new retarded Global Shipping Program.

Seriously many of us do sell to Canada on eBay.

I have never once felt unsafe about any transaction. (shrug)

I want to rebuttal every single post in this thread that is against selling to Canada.

All of them make zero sense.

I want to rebuttal every single post in this thread that is against selling to Canada.

Someone needs to buy you a dictionary for Christmas... at the very least, a Word-A-Day calendar.

I miss you too Jim. :foryou:

I shipped outside the U.S. once.....

Buyer claims he received an empty box. PayPal sided with the buyer. I lost out on the item, and I had to reimburse Paypal.

I will never ship outside the U.S. or deal with Paypal again. It was an $1100.00 lesson.... :cry:

Thanks everyone.

Methinks I'll start buying more comics from Boardies here and less on eBay, especially with their new retarded Global Shipping Program.

I've had pretty good luck using this so far. It is much more expedient to ship to a US address where they move it on internationally. Is there something about the program that I'm missing?

Thanks everyone.

I've had pretty good luck using this so far. It is much more expedient to ship to a US address where they move it on internationally. Is there something about the program that I'm missing?

Just that buyers are getting stuck with extra charges for no other reason than e-bay looking to make more money. lol

Thanks everyone.

Yes, eBay's listed Import Charges in the Global Shipping Program (GSP) are usually horrendously higher than they should be.

If I get nailed with Import Charges at my local PO, it's typically a $5 service charge plus HST which is 13% (in Ontario) of the value of the package.

I don't mind paying this but I will not pay the GSP Import charges.

Who keeps all this extra cash? eBay or the shipping courier?

Reasons

4. Most buyers are in America. We have a zillion more people, and the average person buys more stuff

I'm in Canada and most of my Ebay comic book sales were to overseas shoppers. (shrug)

All of the US sellers who refuse to ship outside of the US simply create a new clientele for people like myself who are willing to ship anywhere in the known universe as long as they buyer pays the actual shipping amount. I have no problems with that. Please continue shipping exclusively within your own borders! I, and others like myself, shall gladly continue to cater to the rest of the world. lol

as a Canadian buyer, I typically require the following on books shipped to me via an Ebay transaction:

1. Tracking ( always )

2. Insurance ( on higher valued books only )

I have had books damaged in shipping, I have had books stolen in shipping. I have had empty boxes arrive. I think I have seen practically all the issues. I still think my favorite was the Incredible Hulk 3 I bought off Ebay from a UK seller and it arrived with the book raw in a manila envelope wrapped around my daily mail with an elastic band and shoved under the front door. Basically folded in half!

The above requirements are for my own protection and honestly for the seller as well. This can be a pain for US sellers who don't want to have to deal with all of that. Insurance means declaring actual value which can mean customs charges and sellers are scared that the buyer will get angry over this. Why deal with all of this when the US has special shipping deals with media mail and specific prices on package sizes within it's own borders. There are plenty of US buyers.

It is what it is and the buyer in the foreign country should expect additional costs in shipping. I message the US sellers I want to buy from and tell them my shipping expectations and that I am aware it will cost more and that I am willing to pay it. I have had some that decide to sell to me, I have had others that won't and I can understand.

When it comes to eBay I have not made any item, be it a comic or anything else, available to the global market. All it took were a few people to take start playing games and that was enough to stay away from potential headaches.

Here or other message boards where I can deal directly with the buyer I will always work something out. eBay? No thank you. Which reminds me. I have a lot of things to list. I think I see a giant purge in my future.

(Well, except in the last thread but that was due to how much the potential cost of shipping would have been in comparison to the price of the books that were being offered.)