• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What to do with an AF15

12 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

Just pick up a raw AF15. I am waiting for it to arrive. Bought from a reliable source.

Probably get it slabbed to give any future buyer some peace of mind on grade.

Restoration is shown as ( Front cover Marvel chipping has been professionally restored and the spine neatly re-enforced. ) Apparent [fn-vfn]

What would be your advice. Restoration removal for possible blue label at lower grade or grade as is.

If the restoration can be done very well. I personally would have it done. Even though the book will get downgraded. A blue label book will sell for more. It will depend on what the final grade is. I would ask the restoration expert on there opinion on the final grade after the work is done. Then you can make an informed decision.

Fantasyland what are you planning on doing with it? If you are planning on keeping it then just put it in a nice Mylar and enjoy the awesomeness. If you are looking to flip it, talk to Matt Nelson and get an idea of what it would grade out to as Purple and what as Blue, then compare prices and see what a better deal is, after factoring in grading and restoration removal. Congrats though!

My plan is to keep and cherish it. I have a high grade obsession but I'm never going to be able to afford this in high grade. I'm looking forward to getting it in hand. My main collection is slabbed so my inclination is to get it graded. Just wondering what the gods of the boards thought.

My old AF15 probably had a story that went like this - kid bought it off the stands, rolled it up and put it in his back pocket. He bought a bag of Planters peanuts and read the book a couple of times. His friend asked for it to read it and on the way back home dropped it in the mud and was subsequently run over by a city bus. It was pried out of the kid and dumped in the trash where it was picked up by a hobo who used it as an umbrella on that rainy day. He subsequently found a stash of counterfeit 100 dollar bills and struck it rich and forgot that his old coat had the AF15 rolled up in the liner. He gave that old coat to the Salvation Army who gave it to a guy who was down on his luck. He later passed away from tuberculosis. It was then discovered in the closet of a dilapidated old house that was being renovated to be flipped. It didn't take long for the general contractor to give it to his kid who kept it and later found he could make some money on it selling it on these boards. He sold it to me and then subsequently stole a bunch of other boardies money when he suddenly went dark and was never heard from again. It could happen.

Restoration removal is not likely going to be a good option on a book with a reinforced spine and pieces added along the edge to replace/repair marvel chipping. that spine was reinforced for a reason. After removing the reinforcement, the spine could easily end up being split and detached from the rest of the book by the time you are done.

Send it to a restorer for a professional opinion. But don't be surprised when they say leave it as is. Another option to consider is to ask if there is anything that could be done to improve the appearance further. Maybe some cleaning and color touch could increase the grade further.

Others have mentioned CCS. I also highly recommend Mike at herorestoration.net. He's a boardie, he does great work and his prices are better.